Sign in to follow this  
PIC007

More new GEX textures..WOW!

Don't look to much different then the GEX  I use to have, I still like ORBX better.

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

I used to have and use the GEX, but decided to change to FTX Global for the non region areas ( I have all Orbx Regions). 

I like the Global particularly for northern areas and very southern like southern Chile.  Europe of very good as well.

Generally I am pleased with Global as the replacement for GEX.

However, GEX screenshots from the Simforums link do show that GEX textures are very good on their own.  Much better then the original sets.

I don't want to get into a long debate about Orbx changes to landclass tables vs GEX which doesn't do that.  Each set has its own appeal to users.  For now I'll stick with Global and add in their custom regions as they  are released.

I would be interesting to have a config tool that would allow a user to have both sets, GEX and Global, and be able to undertake a texture set change from one to the other.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Nowadays they all seem the same to me. Nothing totally groundbreaking to tell one from the other.

Since this is about GEX and not a 'us vs them' post, how about we stick to GEX please?

Jay

Nice to see what a good bit of healthy competition does for the FS market isn't it'-)

Since this is about GEX and not a 'us vs them' post, how about we stick to GEX please?

Ever notice how the ORBX guys are always trying to defend themselves. GEX 2.0 looks awesome.

GEX has always had very good optimized textures.  I remember the last time I reinstalled FSX w/Acceleration.  I had almost 200 fps with the default setup (no addons).  Then I installed GEX and the fps went up to 300 fps.  Then I added other commercial addons and the fps came down dramatically but still, the GEX textures are great.  I recently upgraded to GEX 2.0 and agree with the OP.  I was thinking about getting FTX Global, Vector, and the other program with landclass but decided to go with GEX/UTX as they are cheaper and, if they do not work, I haven't lost a lot of money.  If they do not work out, I'll go with the FTX product.  So far, UTX USA 2.0 has severely caused performance issues, even with the default settings and I need to work on the UTX configurations. I'll get it figured out or move on.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I agree on UTX Jim, it's a bear to get it setup with all the options. I'm glad the GEX guys play nice with it so I can run my sliders full right and still get FPS in the 40-50's with everyone on including weather and AI traffic.

Jay

I might just have to consider GEX NA v2 as a replacement for FTX Global. When I'm not flying in the PNW, where I use Orbx regional scenery which is great, I'm mainly flying in the Canadian Prairies where FTX Global looks horrid and totally unrealistic. Hopefully GEX does a better job in this area.

Looks great. Some of the textures looks better than ORBX, and I really like the autogen annotation and textures as well. Might install GEX+UTX on my FSX:SE just for fun.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

I have the GEX areas from the backup of my old system. I was considering reinstalling them, but I was being moved in the direction of FTX Global. With the upgrade, maybe GEX is still the way to go? It is a much cheaper option since I already own GEX.

I don't use UTX and I will not purchase the similar FTX product, I do most of my flying in the US, Caribbean and Mexico. I plan to reinstall the SceneryTech US LC.

How does FTX compare in the US and Caribbean in terms up urban, tropical, mountainous and desert areas?

I know this was not meant to be a comparison, so I'm sorry to go slightly off topic. Nonetheless, the topic is very relevant to my dilemma and I'd like to make a decision today.

Also, is there a better LC product for the US these days?

Thanks.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

How does FTX compare in the US and Caribbean in terms up urban, tropical, mountainous and desert areas?

I think you would be best served if you just looked at the images at the FTX website used to advertise their FTX Global, Vector, and GlobalLC and then, in another tab, pull up the samples posted in the GEX forum for showing off their product (with UTX2.0 also installed). Of course it would be great if someone provided examples you requested for comparison.

I had to find a decent product that could be used with my photo scenery products. If I do a long flight, say, between Chicago and KIAD in Washington, DC, I ran out of VAS upon hitting the approach for landing at KIAD because I had several photo scenery States between Chicago and KIAD that needed to be loaded and, unfortunately, they were eating up resources (as all photoscenery loads and uses resources whether you are near the area or not). So I installed GEX and disabled all of the photoscenery in-between Chicago and KIAD. I just have Chicago HiRes Photoscenery and Baltimore/Washington HiRes Photoscenery enabled for takeoff and landing. GEX/UTX gives me decent textures to replace the missing photoscenery and I usually have 400-500MB's of VAS remaining upon landing at KIAD (depending on weather conditions too).

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10