Sign in to follow this  
TerryT

CCC questions - Graphic spikes and fluttering

Hi gang,

I was reading the DX10 How To.doc and in there it suggests 'Download CCC - this version only - v12.8 - 12.11'.

My current version is 2014. 1120.2123.38423.

Can I install this version of CCC on its own or does it involve me having to install the whole graphic card driver suite ?

Is it possible to make this work at all by removing the CCC FSX profile - and making one in RadeonPro instead ?

I am now getting wierd graphical corruption, glitches, flashes, spikes etc - and I have changed nothing.

All I was doing is testing how things perform at various airports etc.

Having read some of the DX10.How.To. and thinking back to something Steve mentioned am sure it is my CCC causing this.

This happens anywhere now in FSX, any area / region I mean.

I appreciate I could spend hours trying to find out for myself, but I hoped it would be ok to ask first.

Thank you in anticipation.

Terry

I imagine that its only the driver you need but I have always just downloaded the complete CCC driver package.

Any GPU can show spikes with FSX in DX9 and DX10 if it gets completely overloaded - i.e the settings in FSX are too high (especially LOD radius).

The water issue with DX10 and AMD is different because it occurs when the GPU isn't maxed out - this doesn't happen with Nvidia or previous generations of AMD cards or newer AMD cards with old drivers.

There is a suggestion in the Dx10 Discussions forum that the latest Omega driver may be an improvement in this regard but I haven't validated that.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/422802-serious-issue-with-ati-and-steves-dx10-fix-tears-and-spikes-everywhere/page-25#entry3167564

Thank you for that Steve.

I will shoot over there and have a read. I was in the process of setting up a profile I Radeon Pro having deleted my FSX profile in CCC and restored defaults.

Will be interesting to see if that does the trick.

I hate these video drivers. If you don't remove the old ones correctly your in a world of pain. This is why I hope I can just do without using CCC for FSX

as all other games etc are great.

Cheers.

Well after a good amount of testing I have not had any graphical problems.

The only thing I have done is make a profile as per the DX10.How To.doc and returned settings to default in CCC. Removed my FSX profile from in there too.

Thanks for the help Steve. Much appreciated.

More testing and I am getting the above problems again. Can be flying just fine for 2 mins, 5 mins, 20 mins, and then the graphics start flashin, currupting, triangulating.

Tried to include a screenie but not sure if it worked. I don't have a FSX profile at all in CCC - nothing (Factory defaults)

Created a profile as per the DX10 howto. doc in Radeon Pro.

Any ideas anyone ?  I am certain it will be something fairly simple.

Thank you.

Terry

I don't believe that there is anything that you can adjust other than making sure that the water slider is no more than 2.low and that AA is no more than 4x and make sure that you don't overstretch or overheat the GPU by pushing the sliders too far to the right - or you need to revert to a driver that predates the AMD change - something in the low 12.x but that may or may not be possible.

In the fsx.cfg that you posted the other day water was 2.mid and you have also disabled bufferpools which I believe is generally not recommended unless you have a strong GPU versus the CPU.

Hi Steve,

I have made the water 2.low now (Was only one notch higher).  The AA was set at 4xEQ, but now set to 4x.

I have downloaded '12-8_vista_win7_win8_32_dd_ccc' which is 101mb executable file. 

I am just uncertain as to if that will replace all my video drivers or just the Catalyst Control Center application part.

Do you know at all ?  I really do not mind going back to an old driver. FSX is really the only thing I use the comp for.

I read that buffer_pools shouldn't be used if you have a top end GPU, so I left them disabled.

Going to test the couple of changes to water and the 4x AA instead of 4EQ. Then see where I  need to go next.

Thanks.

Terry

Update. I have been flying about for approx 1hr and all good so far. (Fingers Crossed)  If I have to go back to before DX10 then so be it.

I may just build another good rig and use Intel this time .... Oh and a Nvidia Graphic Card lol.

Cheers

Terry that is the complete package and includes video drivers.

I cannot confirm that its compatible with your GPU so you should check the release notes carefully.

I would suggest holding off installing it and continue testing now you have reduced the water slider to the correct value. Although its only one notch that is known to be critical.

I "think" 4xEQ would be ok but I am not 100% sure - I "think" its the base number of samples that is critical (so 4x not 8x) for AA not the EQ switch.

If you can install one of the working 12.x drivers the advantage is that the restrictions on the water slider and AA don't apply any more - you can set then how you like.

Hi again Steve,

Sorry for the late reply. It has been one of those days. I am changing my rig about.

Starting working on it tomorrow and changing the Motherboard to a "ASRock Fatal1ty z87 professional Gamer Board"

CPU from AMD - A10 to a "Intel Core i7-4790K CPU (Quad Core 4GHz, Socket H3 LGA-1150)"

And Graphic Card (GPU) to a "Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 – SOC G1 Gaming"

I will build another rig soon with the AMD stuff I am taking out.

I shall now have to read how to do the fixing for this setup. But from what have read the extra performance with Intel and Nvidia are worth it.

Thanks.

Terry

Luckily I can splash the cash a bit.  Tell you, since I quit smoking 2 years ago and I don't drink anymore, I save money easily now lol.

I will let you know how it turns out :)

Thank you.

Terry.