Sign in to follow this  
rocsen

RealAir Duke B60 V2 - loud VC?

Just purchased the B60 and its a great plane, however the engine sound inside the VC is just as loud as the outside.

Is that normal?

Many thanks

I have this aircraft. guess you are pretty close to the engine where you're seated in the cockpit, but it definitely shouldn't be so loud as to make it unable to hear radio comms etc. From memory the user manual has a set of suggested sound levels you can try.

If that doesn't work or you don't like it, play around with the engine sound slider until you find something that works for you.

Thanks d33my. Have been playing with the sound levels and seems ok.

One would expect the engine noise to be slightly muted inside the cockpit but it sounds like the windows are open.

When doing a walk around, standing right next to the engine on the outside is the same volume.

Oddly enough, mine seems a bit too quiet!!

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

This explains exactly what I mean with inside vs outside engine sound. It's a third party sounds set, just fast forward to 4:45

I've not flown this plane before though so can't say how much the cockpit is insulated.

Does someone have any real world experience? Guessing the internal sound below is emulating a headset but would be nice to have that as an option on the RealAir Duke.

You can't have a headset alternative in FSX. There are simply no channels to allow this. We set the internal sounds as though you are not wearing noise-cancelling headsets. You could argue that is not accurate. I would argue that if that were the case, almost every sound set in FSX internal sounds should be radio white noise and ATC.

In terms of volume everything therefore is down to interpretation. I hope you enjoy flying the aircraft.

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

You can't have a headset alternative in FSX. There are simply no channels to allow this. We set the internal sounds as though you are not wearing noise-cancelling headsets. You could argue that is not accurate. I would argue that if that were the case, almost every sound set in FSX internal sounds should be radio white noise and ATC.

In terms of volume everything therefore is down to interpretation. I hope you enjoy flying the aircraft.

Hi Robert. It is a joy flying this aircraft, a true work of art.

I'm only just beginning to discover everything it has to offer.

A2A does seem to have a headset feature on the C172. Fast forward to 8:51

A2A does seem to have a headset feature on the C172. Fast forward to 8:51

That's a neat trick I must admit. Personally I would never wear completely noise cancelling headsets in a light aircraft, without removing one of the earphones. There are so many ambient audio clues to the state of a small aircraft's  attitude, speed, lift, roll, yaw etc, I would not want to be cut off from them. I realise this could be regarded as an old fashioned view. In a typical light aircraft you can tell instantly if you are near the stall, or turning off balance, or going too fast, all by reference to what you hear as well as what you see. 

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

I used electronic noise cancelling headsets from around 1994 to 2011 when I quit flying .   The noise level in the Van's RV was very loud, as there was no insulation. While the engine noise is cut down quite substantially, other noises can still be heard enough to identify them.  For the last few years, we had XM Satellite radio, that was run through the audio panel, as well as our cell phones. The audio panel would automatically mute the stereo radio and phones, for comm transmissions.  It was a nice setup.

Thanks for the feedback!

I ended up running a low pass filter(with a program called Audacity) on the internal engine wav files and it's now much more to my liking :smile:

This topic by Rocsen of the Duke's sound in the VC was of interest to me because I had also previously mentioned some issues of volume control, and preference, specifically because I have a seat shaker (translates bass sounds) and I was getting some overvibrations of certain effects, even when other effects were at my desired settings.   Rob might be interested in knowing (or not!) that I after reading this topic, I have also now lowered the volume (-12 db) of a couple of sounds and the results are good.  The woosh and canopy blast sounds are now balanced to my liking,  Also, I was getting what I felt was a disproportionate rumble in level flight in the vicinity of 120 knots as a result of the angle of attack, even with gear raised, but now that the pitchloop sounds have had their volume reduced by approximately half, it's good now. 

A seat shaker, now there's something I haven't seen before!

Just be careful some of the wav files have loop points that Audacity cannot read or save again so they'll get lost. I noticed this on some of the sounds like the fuel pump and battery switch. Your best option for these is to use a program called Wavosaur

thanks for letting me know about that rocsen.  Next time I fly, I'll be sure to check if the files I adjusted the volume on are properly looping, and if not, I will check out this Wavosaur program you suggest.