Sign in to follow this  
alpilotx

UHD Mesh Scenery v1 for X-Plane 10 released

Awesome, Andras! Looks fantastic!

Thanks!

"No matter how eloquent you are or how solidly and firm you've built your case, you will never win in an argument with an idiot, for he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous.

Looks amazing, great work as always Andras!

No noticeable frames impact in Nevada for me but around the Alps the mesh really exposed the effect default clouds have. With 60% puffs my frames tanked, so had to reduce AA to 2xfxaa. Think the Alps will need some compromise for most (I have 16GB ram and 4gb VRAM) but they do look beautiful)

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

LOL. There's nothing else here, so it does. Add a couple of trees and buildings, and then it goes down.

But some places even the mountains are killing the performance in V3.

I still don't have UHD don't know if I should download it because I am mostly up north.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

I still don't have UHD don't know if I should download it because I am mostly up north.

If you have less than 16gb ram I wouldn't bother. Maybe Nevada...

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

I'm downloading it now, but with my pathetic DSL speeds, it will take me a week. I'm letting the torrent run 24/7. Sure wish there was a better way ... everyone else is enjoying the UHD while I watch the clock tick.

Got Sierra Nevada no loss on the laptop. Will @home on the desktop too.

Will download the Alps tonight wow.

Thanks guys .... And indeed - even if its a pitty - its important that you judge your computers potential in advance (and don't load if there is little chance of having a nice experience).

The 16 GB RAM are really the hard factor ... without it, there are chances that you don't even get the scenery loaded (or at least go to swapping hell).

GPU is less critical, because here you can augment by tuning rendering settings (but neither does it make sense to download UHD Mesh just to the dial everything down in rendering settings ... which then ruins the show).

For everybody who is "unsure": I recommend you to try the "USA - Canyons and Mountains in Arizona / Nevada" region (yes, with the Grand Canyon) as this one turned out to be not so heavy on FPS (understandably: because you only have ultra dense mesh to render, but almost no cities, nor roads ... and even forests are rather scarce). With my GPU (GeForce GTX 780 with 6GB VRAM) I did often see -surprising - 50 FPS with almost the highest rendering settings.

Thank YOU!  Thank YOU!   I have a max of 12 GB system memory, but with not using the Alps...can maintain around 14-29 FPS (it ranges) and using a GTX 680 2GB...looks beautiful.  Wow.....  Again, thank you for this....

Post Edit:  Just took off from Grand Canyon State Park....just heading out over the precipice and OMG!   Wow....wow... 

Post Edit 2:  When I took off out of the above-mentioned airport (with XPX fully pegged out...), I was at 30 FPS, and when I flew over the canyon wall...dropped to around 19-20 FPS...but perfectly acceptable...considering what is below me...man...this is what you call VIRTUAL REALITY in any sim.....the Grand Canyon with spectral light off of the faces...looks absolutely real compared to the RW view!!!!    Andras...again, thank you! 

Thank you Andras!  I just downloaded Colorado and I live in KCOS.  The UHD is very correct for the Front Range.  I am impressed to say the least.

I have kept the Alps for download and will leave for the night , will definately report the performance with just 8 GB RAM.

I have kept the Alps for download and will leave for the night , will definately report the performance with just 8 GB RAM.

I repeat: I definitely do not support this (neither recommend others to try it) ... because you might get in troubles with 8 GB RAM. It might - and will for sure - work in some locations, but quite likely will kill your PC in others (as soon as heavy swapping sets in, you will not be happy). So ... I can't stop anybody from trying it (and again: it will work in some locations under some rendering settings) .... but I definitely do not want to support unhappy users (and there will be quite a few with 8 GB RAM - and if not immediately, then soon after the first or second scenery shift, as you cross tile borders).

Andras,

I downloaded "Nevada" and ran into a little problem naming the file zzz_uhd_global_scenery1 in that it would not stay above zzz_hd_global_scenery3 because of the alignment in alphabetical order - even after modifying scenery_packs.ini.  My solution was to change the name to zzz_auhd_global_scenery1 in both lineups.  Then, I wondered if it was really working - even though the scenery was beautiful - and copied and pasted the new files into the original "scenery3" folder.  I wondered because my framerates stayed in the 50s.  Yep, it works both ways and I will just leave them in the old folder as they do not reduce my FRs at all!

Thanks for your dedication to our hobby!

John

PS - Glacier National Park holds the same FRs - 50 - 51, rarely dipping to 49.  Wow!  I installed this (Montana) in the new "auhd" folder.

John Wingold

Hi John,

I downloaded "Nevada" and ran into a little problem naming the file zzz_uhd_global_scenery1 in that it would not stay above zzz_hd_global_scenery3 because of the alignment in alphabetical order - even after modifying scenery_packs.ini.

Well, let me say, that this is NOT the normal behavior of the sim! Usually - for most users and definitely on my system - X-Plane never re-orders the scenery_packs.ini just for the fun of it. There are strict rules, when it touches the scenery_packs.ini (when you add / remove / rename scenery to "Custom Scenery")  ... and in all other cases it does not touch it!

The only reason when X-plane completely re-sorts your scenery_packs.ini is, when the scenery_packs.ini is not present at start up and needs to be recreated (whenever scenery_packs.ini needs to be recreated, it will be done in alphabetic order). So the real question is: why is your scenery_packs.ini - obviously - always disappearing? Are you deleting it, does your OS delete it, does some 3rd party script/app/virsuscanner what ever delete it?

The interesting thing is, that you might not be the only one who has this issue, as I already had a few users report similar behavior ... but at least I am 99% sure, that it is never X-Planes fault (as X-Plane has no reasons to ever delete the scenery_packs.ini).

BTW this may sound funny but how do I get to the Alps?

BTW this may sound funny but how do I get to the Alps?

Italy, France, Germany, Switzerland ....any of those countries has a bit of Alp lovin' within them....

Go to Zurich, Switzerland, and have some Alp'in fun....

Circle the Matterhorn...and think Disney.... or Swiss Cheese! :rolleyes:

If you can live with 15-infinity FPS...then you are good to go.  No stutter show in XPX, even at 14-15 FPS with this UHD.  Simply amazing...and I'd want to view it even if it was 10-12 FPS.  It is that good...and Andras is now, in my opinion, Mr. Disney. He puts SMILES upon the kiddie's faces...and oh..welcome to Wonderland Mr. Ironmaiden......and no waiting in lines......!

Andras, again, thank you for this....

Signed,

A kid at heart....

Mitch

Italy, France, Germany, Switzerland ....any of those countries has a bit of Alp lovin' within them....

Go to Zurich, Switzerland, and have some Alp'in fun....

Circle the Matterhorn...and think Disney.... or Swiss Cheese! :rolleyes:

If you can live with 15-infinity FPS...then you are good to go.  No stutter show in XPX, even at 14-15 FPS with this UHD.  Simply amazing...and I'd want to view it even if it was 10-12 FPS.  It is that good...and Andras is now, in my opinion, Mr. Disney. He puts SMILES upon the kiddie's faces...and oh..welcome to Wonderland Mr. Ironmaiden......and no waiting in lines......!

Andras, again, thank you for this....

Signed,

A kid at heart....

Mitch

Hey Mitch,

I fly even at 15 fps it's fun , yeah it does cause dizziness :)

I am trying it on the laptop have just loaded up Zurich it took hell of  a time and almost ate my laptop.

@Zurich the memory usage is 7GB