Sign in to follow this  
RJC68

7 Hours with P3D V2 and still Microstutters

Hi All,

I purchased P3d V2.4 today, installed it went for a test flight and graphics looked horrible. Like FSX I knew I had to reach a good starting point. I have a pretty powerful PC built just for my flightsim hobby. It runs FSX with DX10 as smooth as butter.

Sadly I have to say I have been trying for the last 7 hours or so to cure the microstutters I am getting. I have read many posts, tried many things and nothing has worked.

To say I am a little disappointed is an understatement :(

I really hope someone might be able to offer a glimmer of hope or it's back to my trusty old FSX for me.

I did give up on the stutters and install my trusty A320/A321. That loads with a sound error and the ND displays are black

All in all not a very productive day

Richard

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

Hi All,

I purchased P3d V2.4 today, installed it went for a test flight and graphics looked horrible. Like FSX I knew I had to reach a good starting point. I have a pretty powerful PC built just for my flightsim hobby. It runs FSX with DX10 as smooth as butter.

Sadly I have to say I have been trying for the last 7 hours or so to cure the microstutters I am getting. I have read many posts, tried many things and nothing has worked.

I really hope someone might be able to offer a glimmer of hope or it's back to my trusty old FSX for me.

I did give up on the stutters and install my trusty A320/A321. That loads with a sound error and the ND displays are black

All in all not a very productive day

Richard

Richard,

More information is needed....hope you didnt treat P3D as "another FSX" and moved all sliders to MAX....it works differently to FSX, if you have Process Explorer or a similar program you will find what part of your hardware is maxed out. In my case, if my Graphics card reaches 100% load, I get stutters, and understandably so. Remember, P3D actually does make use of your Graphics Card so settings to max will not give you a good experience.

As for the AXE...what version of the A320 are you using?  The original version (without the weather radar) is NOT P3D compatible and it will cause the problems you mentioned. There are some walk arounds but it is not P3D's issue, it is an add on that is not coimpatible with P3D. The newer A320 pack released by Aerosoft late last year is fully P3D compatible and it works off the box.

Hope you can get it sorted.

Richard,

More information is needed....hope you didnt treat P3D as "another FSX" and moved all sliders to MAX....it works differently to FSX, if you have Process Explorer or a similar program you will find what part of your hardware is maxed out. In my case, if my Graphics card reaches 100% load, I get stutters, and understandably so. Remember, P3D actually does make use of your Graphics Card so settings to max will not give you a good experience.

As for the AXE...what version of the A320 are you using?  The original version (without the weather radar) is NOT P3D compatible and it will cause the problems you mentioned. There are some walk arounds but it is not P3D's issue, it is an add on that is not coimpatible with P3D. The newer A320 pack released by Aerosoft late last year is fully P3D compatible and it works off the box.

Hope you can get it sorted.

Thanks for the prompt reply,

Even with my system I do not have the FSX sliders maxed out, I have pretty much turned everything down to minimum adjusting one by one. The best result I saw was with the frames set to unlimited, if I set to vsync on & locked @ 30 they're worse

Maybe P3D just doesn't like my system lol

I am trying to stay positive, AS for the Airbus it is the very latest version (1.21) it says it is fully P3d V2 compatible. I have seen youtube videos with people running it so I know it works, again just not for me. Maybe it's punishment for FSX running so well, I never have issues and it's so smooth. I know I have probably jinxed myself now !!

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

Thanks for the prompt reply,

Even with my system I do not have the FSX sliders maxed out, I have pretty much turned everything down to minimum adjusting one by one. The best result I saw was with the frames set to unlimited, if I set to vsync on & locked @ 30 they're worse

I am trying to stay positive, AS for the Airbus it is the very latest version (1.21) it says it is fully P3d V2 compatible. I have seen youtube videos with people running it so I know it works, again just not for me. Maybe it's punishment for FSX running so well, I never have issues and it's so smooth. I know I have probably jinxed myself now !!

Ok, don't dispair just yet.

Start with a clean, brand new p3d.cfg and start from there, dont use any tweaks in it just yet.

The biggest frame killers I found are clouds...set it to 80nm distance and medium density for now.

Textures are next, set complexity to High and autogen to Medium, no higher for now.

Have a look, and if you still get stutters, try locking your frames at 25 or 20 (I have mine set to 20, smooth as butter).

Once all is done, try reinstalling the Airbus A320....I know several people who have it and it works flawlessly so there is something in your setup that has gone wrong.

Might be good to know your system specs.  Also, what third party software are you using?

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

Ok, don't dispair just yet.

Start with a clean, brand new p3d.cfg and start from there, dont use any tweaks in it just yet.

The biggest frame killers I found are clouds...set it to 80nm distance and medium density for now.

Textures are next, set complexity to High and autogen to Medium, no higher for now.

Have a look, and if you still get stutters, try locking your frames at 25 or 20 (I have mine set to 20, smooth as butter).

Once all is done, try reinstalling the Airbus A320....I know several people who have it and it works flawlessly so there is something in your setup that has gone wrong.

OK I still haven't given up yet,

Although I did try my Majestic Dash8 Q400 which is apparently P3d V2 compatible. It isn't ! Another one doesnt work

Does P3D have to be installed to my C: drive? I have it on another (G:) Just wondering

Might be good to know your system specs.  Also, what third party software are you using?

Aren't my system specs in my profile...

i5 3570K @ 4.7 (Watercooled)

Asus P8Z77-v Pro

8GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3 @ 1600 MHZ

Asus GTX 780

Kingston Hyper X 256GB SSD

Richard

mmBbmS1.png

Richard,

Your system is WAY better than mine, no reason why you should not get a better experience.

The Majestic Dash 8 is P3D compatible (I am using it), did you do a clean install of the latest?  From memory the original files were not P3D compatible but they later released a patch to enable better integration with P3D2...

Also, make sure you dont install using any "P3D" option as it must be "P3D2".

Hi Richard, I had these stutters. I could not get rid of them. Tried all the suggestions and tweaks. Nothing worked. I have posted a thread on this site under P3D fourm. It's called got stutter's maybe you want to try this. Read the whole thread. This worked for me, why I still don't know. Iwas also having OOM and p3d crashing. I DO NOT have these issues anymore. As the thread says these suggestions are for X plane not P3d but in my case it did something to my system and I still don't know what. For me the sim is as smooth as can be and no more OOM. I am now flying instead of tweaking. If you try it I hope it works for you. I just installed Orbx Norway and it is a real joy to fly. BTW I am using a Nvidia GTX 780 T graphics card, P3D ver 2.4, opus weather, soft clouds, ProatcX, FTX Global and FTX Vector> I fly the default lear but have the ifly 737 for P3D

Nelson

Hi Richard, I had these stutters. I could not get rid of them. Tried all the suggestions and tweaks. Nothing worked. I have posted a thread on this site under P3D fourm. It's called got stutter's maybe you want to try this. Read the whole thread. This worked for me, why I still don't know. Iwas also having OOM and p3d crashing. I DO NOT have these issues anymore. As the thread says these suggestions are for X plane not P3d but in my case it did something to my system and I still don't know what. For me the sim is as smooth as can be and no more OOM. I am now flying instead of tweaking. If you try it I hope it works for you. I just installed Orbx Norway and it is a real joy to fly. BTW I am using a Nvidia GTX 780 T graphics card, P3D ver 2.4, opus weather, soft clouds, ProatcX, FTX Global and FTX Vector> I fly the default lear but have the ifly 737 for P3D

Nelson

Thanks for the tip Nelson,

I saw that post and tried it. I have seen an improvement but still not as smooth as FSX DX10 I'm afraid :(

Richard

mmBbmS1.png

Try some resource monitor (the one under Windows is pretty enough). List all processes which takes more resources and check them.

For example - you can have Windows Search function enabled, which would turn on while you are playing and cause the stutters.

You can have antivirus scan running, etc. Just check it.

Lukasz

Lukasz Kulasek

i7-8700k, RTX 2080 TI, 32 GB RAM, ASUS TUF Z370-PRO Gaming, Oculus Rift CV1

Welcome to the stutter-club. Although I have not counted, I would not be surprised if I've spent more than 10x7 hours trying to cure the stutter problem in P3Dv2. I'm still watching every thread I can find (like this one) to see if there are any cures/tweaks/ideas I have not yet tried. To try them all, isolated and in combinations takes alot of time. Not to mention the occasional complete format of the system. 

I am definitely disappointed as you are too, but my passion for this hobby will not let me give up. One day I'll get it all to work again. Until then I'm on FSX Steam.

Yeah it's funny how different the flightsims perform on different systems. I get the fact that there are an unlimited possible variations from PC to PC and that no systems are the same, but flightsims seems to be especially fragile compared to other games and programs I run. 

Getting a flightsim smooth is like building a massive house of cards. Or so it feels. 

/end rant.

Let's not forget that stutters are in the eye of the beholder. ;) What someone would call stuttering performance is quite smooth in the eyes of someone else. There also are differences between actual stutters and the micro stutters you see when looking left or right (which according to some aren't actual stutters). So... I am curious what kind of micro stutters you are actually seeing: could well be those are the kind of stutters I also get but which don't bother me at all! Imho I have smooth performance with settings pretty much all completely right but you might find the accidental stutters I have completely annoying! This also means you may have a problem which can't be actually cured but which you may and will get used to. Also note that P3D builds a cache of things and performance may get better over time.