Sign in to follow this  
Guest Shalomar

Flying Online with ATC

Guest jwhak1

I was wanting to know if someone could push me into the right direction for flying fs9 online with other people and live ATC...I live in Wichita,Ks...Have about 12 to 15 hours of Dual time in a C-172..I have checked out VATSIM... Kinda at a lose with it... As far as hardware and software. I must have and a place where people are professional and don't act like a bunch of kids please.Could someone help push me into the right direction and kinda help lead the path for me please...I have a mic on my CPU.. I don't know if that is enough.. Thanks Again, Josh

>I have checked out VATSIM... Kinda at a lose with it... As far as>hardware and software. I must have and a place where people are>professional and don't act like a bunch of kids please.Well,given the fact that 99% of all flightsimmers are hobbyists, and no professional pilots or ATC, VATSIM is the most professional place you can find at all. I highly doubt you will find ony other placer which will suit your needs more. And I

Hi Josh,I go along with Martin, try VATSIM again, in the main it is not populated by people acting as kids, whatever their age.If you have had problems with VATSIM post here or in the VATSIM forum here on AVSIM, there are plenty of us who can help.With the release of the new SB3 and FSInn s/ware connecting to VATSIM has never been easier.Have a look at the Pilot Resource Centre www.vatsim.net/prc or use the 'New pilots start here' link on the main VATSIM web site.

Hello Josh:If this is too much of a reply, I apologize and just ignore this, but you did say, "if someone could push me into the right direction...." I think you have apparently already been there."Flying fs9 online with other people and live ATC..."You describe VatSim!"Have about 12 to 15 hours of Dual time in a 172"Puts you in the same bag as MANY others on VatSim."Place where people are professional and don't act like a bunch of kids please."Many pilots and controllers on VatSim are in fact professional aviation people REAL WORLD. The credentials of some make my mouth water.Unfortunately all you are going to be able to work with are human beings, human beings that are dealing with something free. As such there may be a bad apple or two somewhere along the line (and sounds like you picked one on the first bite). You may run into a party that seems rude and impatient, or hogs the frequency occasionally but this IS NOT the norm on VatSim. This is a picture of the real world as well. RARELY there you will also run into an impatient controller (or pilot) as well.The MAJORITY of people on VatSim fall into mainly two groups IMHO. The first are folks just like you who are in the beginning or mid stages of flying experience, simulated and/or real. The second is a group that have more experience, probably greatly in real world flying on every level in the air. Note a few things as to whom you are communicating: First, if you have a rated controller with experience, after notation on your flight plan that you are a newbee ask questions (private message when time and traffic allows). Second, in private messages communicate with other pilots in the air (again when time and traffic allows). You will fall into some very enjoyable discussions particularlly on long and boreing flights and the other end will appreciate your communication as well. Third, realize that many of the other people on the other end are just like you, and are learing too. Your communication with a newbee controller may be of help to him in addition to any help he offers you. Fourth: Regardless of the experience, impatience breeds impatience.One other thought: I don't know just how serious you are, or how deeply you want to dive into the water (make that air). I am an old CFI of years past and I find that some ATC is more professional than I want it to be at times. These tired old ears have a little trouble with the rapid fire ATC from some controllers (Go to text), but they are very serious in what they are doing and emulating the real world in high density areas. If anything on this level interests you I suggest that you tune in on some of the real world high density frequencies (VatSim again). Particularly "Macy Arrival" at the Hartsfield Atlanta during busy hours will paint the picture (including radar) for you. If you can keep up with everything that is going on when the birds hit the fan, you truly are a professional and I am impressed. It will give you a new appreciation for the job these people do, and what some on VatSim are trying to learn to do.Happy flying, and I hope you find that for which you are looking:RTH1585368CFI

Guest jwhak1

Roger All, Hey gents sorry if my message seem to come by as being I had trouble on VATSIM..That is a Negative on that... Just stating that in general for looking for an online place to fly.I appreciate all your concerns, and input...Just looking for the right directions to go kinda at a lose with the VATSIM in general (LOL)Sounds like I need to do more research on the ole VATSIM site.. Thanks Again, Josh

I think you'll enjoy VATSIM. I don't get nearly as much to fly as I'd like so consider myself a complete amature. I've always found controllers to be patient and helpful. When I make a mistake, a simple 'sorry' does the trick.http://online.vatsimindicators.net/916312/3.png

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

VATSIM is awesome.get your microphone,load the sim,and fly :)i'd die if VATSIM were to disappear.these guys are so helpful,and professional.and any question you ask is patiently answered.tataJP.

Guest bobsk8

Almost all my flying is in places like Misty Fjords and the surrounding areas in BC and Alaska, and in mostly VFR GA aircraft with some IFR thrown. It is my impression that Vatsim is pretty useless for this type flying. Is that true or not?

Guest jwhak1

Gents, I flew on VATSIM all night last night really enjoyed the heck out of it..It would be great if we had all the states covered and we could fly all the time (LOL)...All I have to say is Thanks to VATSIM and the people who support all this such as add ons and their time.And thanks for advancing the realistic features and constantly thinking of ways to improve our flights and flight sim... Happy Landings, Josh

Guest byoung

My only comment about VATSIM is the coverage. You have to check the website for the airports / centers in service. You may only be able to have partial coverage on your route. The technology side is superb. It has been awhile since I have done anything with VATSIM. ATC Simulator 2 has an interface for FS 2004, again I don't think it has totally caught on. Their website is located at http://www.atcsimulator.com/Barry

Guest willg

Id like to know if VATSIM is split into regions or something, as a few controllers cant cover the whole world of fs every minutre of the day. or will i have to fly in a specific place. Also can i decide my own flights airlines and destinations etc.

To find out where controllers are on duty, you need a piece of software called servinfo. It will give you real time details, including mapping of where controllers are on duty and where people are flying. As for software to access vatsim, I have stopped using squackbox 3 (i appreciate all the effort in its development), and use FSINN from a French development team. I don't have the url at hand since I'm at work, but someone else can fill you in, or you could google it.Vatsim is terrific, one of the best contributions to our hobby ever.Sherm