Sign in to follow this  

And let the PC build begin ...

a bird told me to watch out for the nVidia GM200-400 ... 12GB VRAM (usable 12GB VRAM). I'm on the lookout ... anyone want to buy two Titan Blacks? :)

Cheers, Rob.

still constructing my list; anything i should know about?

Case
Corsair Carbide Air 540 ATX 
(optional Lian-Li PC-343B)

Board
ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTREME 

CPU
Intel Core i7-5960X Haswell-E 8-Core 3.0GHz LGA 2011-v3 

RAM
CORSAIR Platinum 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4 3333 (PC4-26600) 
CORSAIR Platinum 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4 3333 (PC4-26600) 

GPU
EVGA GeForce GTX TITAN Z 12G-P4-3990-KR 
EVGA GeForce GTX TITAN Z 12G-P4-3990-KR 
or
EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Hydro Copper 04G-P4-2989-KR 
EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Hydro Copper 04G-P4-2989-KR 

Cooling
Koolance RP-452X2 dual pump and reservoir 
Koolance HD-70 double-sided water block for SSD 
Koolance HD-70 double-sided water block for SSD 
Koolance RAM-33 Ram Liquid Block 

Storage
SAMSUNG 850 Pro-Series MZ-7KE1T0BW 2.5" 1TB SATA III 
Samsung 850 Pro-Series MZ-7KE512BW 2.5" 512GB SATA III 
Samsung 850 Pro-Series MZ-7KE512BW 2.5" 512GB SATA III

Power
EVGA Supernova 1200 P2
(sorry about that silly question few pages back; I missed the page you discussed the heat exhausting;

its like two pages stuck together when you flip through the newspaper :) )

Will it fit into one of the internal drive SATA ports?

Yes ... but I don't have any external eSATA device so can't confirm it's working to spec.

Cheers, Rob.

Rob:

Just started a 5960X build of my own.

ROG Extreme, same RAM as yours. Asus 970 Strix.

Overclocking right now at 4300 and 1.28 volts. Bearing in mind I'm coming from a 4790K o/c-ed to 4700. Jumped into P3D and giggled like a little girl at how it chews through texture-loading. Whatever the difference +/- in clocks, the extra cores seem to make mincemeat out of scenery. Think I'm sold on this.

One quick question. Noticed the AI Suite is different than the z97s and the other Asus X99. Can't seem to find the auto-overclock routine where it tries, stress-tests, tries again, etc. Also, I can't seem to make my later TPU choices "stick" in bios. Any Ideas?

still constructing my list; anything i should know about?

Looks like a good list ... Asus seem to list more G.Skill modules than Corsair ones in their "tested" list and I have seen more reviews using the G.Skill.  This is the first time I've gone the G.Skill route (always Corsair prior), but I'm very pleased with the result to cost ratio.

I'd go with the 980's and wait for the GM200-400's ... For Quad SLI the Z's are a good option as the Rampage V extreme really only has 2 PCI 16X lanes ... Asus do make a "true" 4 PCI 16X lanes motherboard, but it uses the X-99e and is not as focused on OC as the Extreme board is.

Cheers, Rob.

Thanks Rob
I’m completely blown away by the Rampage intricacy

I’m an old school engineer; taking a cpu and OC'ing it was to me like...
putting a car in neutral and letting it go uncontrollably down the hill to gain more speed,

OC'ing has completely changed from my college days
it’s not uncontrollably anymore with all the supported cooling and monitoring
this is more like F1 racing now!

me like :BigGrin:

Also, I can't seem to make my later TPU choices "stick" in bios. Any Ideas?

I've done most of my tuning via the BIOS and use AI Suite 3 for monitoring.  I actually don't think AI Suite 3 will "make the settings stick in the BIOS" ... what you do is save a profile via AI Suite 3 and then AI Suite will load the profile on OS startup (idea being you use a "safe" BIOS profile to get you into the OS, then load the OC profile) ... you can also manually run AI Suite 3 and load the profile.  I don't have AI Suite 3 running at startup.

But here are my screenshots of AI Suite 3 settings:

61e5d0f81d1fa716a544eb9fcf493b03.jpg

2d2b560fe8551675e4ffd85942d9a863.jpg

ecde845550bc94f06742b7a2fbb6964e.jpg

94f120cdb8e09c669aff3d8455d16f0d.jpg

6e2112096b9ef05967eec91f4412790e.jpg

Agree Chris, every time I do these builds they seem to get better and better and actually easier ... but one could spend a month going over every option.  Getting very F1 like.

Cheers, Rob.

Rob:

Just did some digging. JJ from Asus says it does indeed program the UEFI and is not just a software loader. The Overclock sticks even if you uninstall AI Suite. However not all the menu choices in AI Suite appear to correspond 1-to-1 to UEFI setting line items. It's a bit of a puzzlement.

this is simply nirvana; I’m very excited to get my hands on this build

i can’t believe I’m saying this; I’m currently looking for a dual radiator solution for my loop/ or two (not sure yet)

and it looks like before I’m going to get to the OC part; I’m going to spend some time investigating this thoroughly

going through the specs making sure the loop is efficient and doesn’t degrade going through parts and curves (I plan to liquid cool everything I can)

i think this is the most crucial aspect before going into the rest of the build; as the rest of it seem very much straight forward to me

Glad you got it sorted ... speaking of GPU's ... a bird told me to watch out for the nVidia GM200-400 ... 12GB VRAM (usable 12GB VRAM).   I'm on the lookout ... anyone want to buy two Titan Blacks? :)

Cheers, Rob.

Indeed indeed. Nvidia is holding a press event today I believe. They might announce it.

Let's see

Best

Karim

@fulcrum... *phew*

@Rob... *eyes to the left*

Indeed :-) The Zotac GTX 980 Extreme AMD needs to be plugged in to an internal USB plug for OC control. Stupid thought it was optional. 

Any thanks a lot for your help.

Best

JJ from Asus says it does indeed program the UEFI and is not just a software loader.

Corrected, good to know ... didn't fully test that since I tend to use the UEFI/BIOS as the place to do my adjustments ... and like you said there are more adjustments in UEFI/BIOS than in the AI Suite 3 so it's not a 1 to 1.

Nvidia is holding a press event today I believe. They might announce it.

I don't think it will be GM200-400 ... it's most likely another project they've been working on for a long while ... but ya never know, might come out along with that announcement ... have to wait until 7pm PT.

Cheers, Rob.

Only just managed to get vanilla 2.5 installed so far (it's been a very, very long day) but just wanted to say, Im gob smacked!!! Moving from my lowly 3770 to the 5960 is mind blowing lol

Hmm so what makes it that much better - just asking as I have a 3770k overclocked and works very good - but also using a titan which helps a lot - what video card do you have keep in mind if your video card is much better than before thats part of the new happy feeling - you need to determine the difference from a new cpu and gpu - good luck with it

Rich Sennett