Sign in to follow this  
romney

Windows 10 Build 9926 and P3D 2.4

Well, I took the dive and updated to Windows 10 after reading this article on Forbes.com.

Let me backup for a minute, I had Win 8.1/P3D 2.4 running flawlessly at 20 FPS with 2x5870's in Crossfire/AFR Friendly. I finally figured out the micro-stutters were caused by ULPS enabled in the registry.

So back to the present, After reading the article, I couldn't resist updating to Win10. The installation took about 2 hours. I retained all my applications and I also have the ability to roll back to Win 8.1. The only caveat was my sound card wasn't working (SB X-Fi Titanium PCIe). After some tweaking, I was able to restore my 7.1 surround.

Of course the first thing, I wanted to test-drive, um, fly was P3D. I monitored CPU and GPU clock speeds and temps with MSI Afterburner. I noticed micro-stutters and the first GPU clock was jumping around. When I inspected the registry. ULPS had been enabled again. I disabled it. I'm now back to my solid 20 FPS.

Viel Spaß!

Jay

Interesting indeed... how do i disable the ULPS?

i9 13900KF @ 5.5Ghz | MoBo MSI PRO Z690-A WiFi | Corsair Vengeance Black RGB RS 64gb DDR4 3200MHz | PNY RTX 4090 XLR Gaming Verto EPIC-X RGB TF | MP33 Pro 1TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD for OS | Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" 4TB SSD SATA2 | Corsair RM1000X 2021 1000W 80 Plus Gold PSU | Antec Dark Fleet DF700 Flux Gaming Case | Win 11 home | LG 48" C2 OLED 4K TV | G512 Keyboard | Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse | TCA Throttle, Sidestick and addons, peddles, TM1600 Hotas | TrackIR 5 | Tobii Eye Tracker | HP Reverb G2 HMD

Doug 

I completely understand and would NOT recommend it for a non-development / daily-driver installation. For current full-screen games, there is a performance hit as mentioned in your link.

My 3DMark Sky Diver Results:

Win8.1

Win10

My delta is -5.617%. With dev builds, there is overhead in debug tools running in the background. AND, I'm running old hardware.

Now with that being understood, In it's current state, P3D is unique in this situation. It's a DX11 32-Bit application running in a full screen/window mode. I have not experienced degradation in frame rates.

Interesting indeed... how do i disable the ULPS?

This fix is for AMD Crossfire. Will not work with Nvidia SLI. Works in Windows 7 / 8 / 8.1 / 10

Read this thread.

Power options / PCI Express / Link State Power Management / Setting: Off

How did I create a crossfire profile for P3D? It needs to be created in CCC.

AMD_CCC_P3D_zpsadcfc286.jpg

Uninstall Raptr

CCC needs to be disabled on startup (Conflicts with MSI AB)

MSI Afterburner is enabled on startup with these settings:

MSI_AB_CX_zpsc614c09f.jpg

IMPORTANT: This is my PC configuration. Every PC is different. Your mileage may vary.

Restart your PC

Viel Spaß!

Are you saying you are able to run crossfire and see a benefit to P3D, which is running in a window? My understanding is that crossfire (unlike sli) doesn't support windowed mode. Thanks!

I'll get serious about windows 10 which I am currently running the development Trial, when DX12 , With his attendant improvement in performance,becomes available....AND Sir Rob has made the jump.

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

Are you saying you are able to run crossfire and see a benefit to P3D, which is running in a window? My understanding is that crossfire (unlike sli) doesn't support windowed mode. Thanks!

I'm forcing AFR Friendly with these settings. The second GPU is definitely seeing usage with ONLY P3D running.

MSI_AB_zps43d2e0e1.jpg

I took the jump with my Dell 13" 2 in 1.  

I am wondering what more of the numbers are for non-game benchmarking.  I saw in one of those links that computing PI was faster in Win 10. Considering P3D is Still bottlenecked at the CPU core 1, and MS claims that there will be a fix for thread management in DX12, I'm guessing that 10 has to be at it's core doing that same fix.

These changes are all about MS racing to claim space as the virtual/augmented reality platform.  They are betting the farm on it, and making it ubiquitous across hardware.  They say Windows 10 is all about gaming, but it's really about VR.  It's a pretty good bet.  

If my 2 in 1 demonstrates enough stability I will probably change over the desktop.  I thinking this new approach to upgrades will mean that they won't wait as long with DX12 (which is just a shell/stub in 10 as it is now) like they usually do specifically to entice the early adapters to 10 early on.  They want to bring everyone along to 10 as soon as possible, finally dressing up their user base, for something really coooool.

Thank God Ballmer is gone, finally!!!

bottlenecked at the CPU core 1, and MS claims that there will be a fix for thread management in DX12, I'm guessing that 10 has to be at it's core doing that same fix

Really? Come on. Let's look at this graph. It's P3D, a DX11 App using all cores.

intel_core_1_zps8919ce95.jpg

Thank you for the link to the three preview videos. Strictly from the demo of the desktop, I'm fully satisfied that I won't have to master the arcane/bizzare of Win8/8.1's GUI, but can indeed have most of the familiarity of the Win7 desktop GUI to work with... :Whistle:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I'll be moving to Win10, but only with final release. Win8.1's only advantage to win7 is that threading seems more efficient with less contention ... From what I've read Win10 improves on that a little more. But as always I follow extreme caution with anything Microsoft ... I really hope they get it right this time.

Cheers Rob

Rob, I actually have a re-built machine that currently has Win 8.0 installed. I intend to upgrade it to Win 10.x as soon as it is released as well.

If it works as well as 'advertised,' then and only then will I even consider upgrading the other six machines on my home/office network. :Thinking:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

That is an interesting article!

Any thoughts how the holographic-thing could impact our hobby? It would be cool to have not only a VC but could use the holographic-thing and gloves with it.

IXEG 737 Beta-Tester and First Officer

i7 6700K@4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, Palit GTX 1080 GameRock Premium@2Ghz, Oculus Rift S, ButtKicker
X-Plane 11 latedt version on a Samsung M.2 SSD for speedy loading times