Sign in to follow this  
happyhour

Does P3D v2.5 require a fresh install?

Hey guys,

Been away from FSX for almost 12 months now and looking to getting back into it but this time with P3D. Been doing a lot of reading over the past few days

and just wanted to check if the upcoming P3D v2.5 will require a full re-install?

I have just formatted my FSX HDD and don't really want to go through it again if I purchase V2.4 now and a complete re-install is required when V2.5 gets released,

which by the sound of things is fairly soon.

Thanks in advance guys and looking forward to trying P3D out :D

Cheers,

Aaron

Yes. Lockheed Martin have confirmed it over on the official Prepar3D forums. I think I'll reinstall Windows in preperation for 2.5 as well.

Thanks so much for the confirmation guys, much appreciated. I'll wait for 2.5 to be released then, can't wait to test P3D out! Hope my PC can cope with it. Exciting times ahead :D

Cheers,

Aaron

If you are using addons too, you might want to wait until those addons are made compatible: v2.5 seems to use a new folder structure and a lot of current addons (at least scenery addons) won't work with 2.5 right away.

Dang, just installed 2.4 and was working on getting addons done. Is there a reason why an upgrade isn't offered, and do we know when 2.5(rough time estimate) will be available. 

Scott

KGPI

Banner_MJC1.png

As Jeroen said, they are using a new folder structure that can't be dealt with through an update.  It would appear that they are preparing to make the upgrade path easier in the future with this restructuring.

Ryan

If you are using addons too, you might want to wait until those addons are made compatible: v2.5 seems to use a new folder structure and a lot of current addons (at least scenery addons) won't work with 2.5 right away.

+1

My plan will  be to continue using 2.4 for maybe another  month after 2.5 release, then do the reinstall of 2.5 with hopes all add ons will be ready.

WAT1460.png

I have a fresh 256GB SSD sitting on my desk ready to install 2.5 on, for now I am back in FSX (box) with DX10

LM is building for long term, some structure changes are part of v2.5 to support that vision. So for v2.5 a clean install is required. Beyond that it would be wise for folks to not speculate what future versions will require in terms of updates until reliable information can be shared.

Cheers, Rob.

Thanks for the additional info guys, I have ORBX Aus, Nz and a bunch of payware planes and just had a read in the p3d forums over at ORBX.

Looks like I'll have to wait for a new set of libs due to the new structuring before moving to 2.5 just like J van E mentioned.

Tempted to just buy the academic at 2.4 now and not wait for 2.5 lol.

Rob, just curious but can we expect 2.5 soon as in this month soon? Thanks :)

Dang, just installed 2.4 and was working on getting addons done. Is there a reason why an upgrade isn't offered, and do we know when 2.5(rough time estimate) will be available. 

Same here, I think I did three installs (and Windows install), trying to get Go Flight to work.  It seems to be the USB.  Two ports are Intel, which work, the others are Asmedia or something, which seem to be the problem ones.

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

LM is building for long term, some structure changes are part of v2.5 to support that vision. So for v2.5 a clean install is required. Beyond that it would be wise for folks to not speculate what future versions will require in terms of updates until reliable information can be shared.

Cheers, Rob.

I wonder if its possible to add 2.4 installed add-on airports to the fresh 2.5 installation without reinstalling each one by one. Any thoughts on that?

I wonder if its possible to add 2.4 installed add-on airports to the fresh 2.5 installation without reinstalling each one by one. Any thoughts on that?

Depending on the developer, each one will be a trial and error. If they don't modify certain files, it might work. Possibly just copying over the folder and installing it in the Scenery Library.

Frankly, IMHO, it would be simpler to just reinstall them all - that way, you know they are installed properly and you probably won't have mucked up anything else.

An old saying comes to mind -

"Sometimes people spend HOURS trying to find the EASY way to do something when they could have done it in MINUTES the HARD way."

:)

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors