Sign in to follow this  
vonmar

ATC Hold short

Testing ATC, XP10.32

I get to the runway ... ... another aircraft ahead of me .... they never get a takeoff clearance.

Waited 20 min .. no takeoff clearance.

Note: while holding no other aircraft taking off or landing on my takeoff runway.

Aborted the flight.

Tried the flight a second time .. got to hold short (end of taxi arrows) no takeoff clearance for 20 min or so.

Note: while holding no other aircraft taking off or landing on my takeoff runway.

Aborted the flight.

BTW, all taxi instructions and freq changes were ok.

Anyone else seeing this?

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

I like a lot of things in X-Plane and ATC isn't one of them. It's very limited and frustrating at the best of times. I wouldn't expect to see any changes to ATC for awhile, maybe something for XP11 whenever that happens.

Sometimes the point where the " Cleared for take-off" call is triggered doesn't tie in with where you would expect to hold short. Try following the helpful taxi guide markers (yellow) to the end even if it puts you almost onto the runway, DEFINATELY NOT something you would do in real life !!!

The triggered call should come quickly (2-3 mins max) if not enter the runway take-off head  for the first way point and get a Pop-Up Clearance; all you need to know is the Centre Frequency.

TIM

Tim,

Yes, I knew about the yellow end .. hold point.

In my first post I mentioned:

I get to the runway ... ... another aircraft ahead of me .... they never get a takeoff clearance.

As a result, I never moved to the end of the yellow marker arrow.

Best Regards,

Is it possible to drive through them (I don't think there is a aircraft to aircraft crash detectionbuilt into the program unlike say a combat sim.) Again not exactly adding to the "plausibility" factor but better than sitting 20mins waiting for the plane ahead to move.

TIM

"Is it possible to drive through them"

I tried it ... when I got onto the runway tower continued my taxi .. with yellow arrow (and text directions) doing right turns on taxiways and I ended up back at the same problem hold point again.

Very strange!

Best Regards,

Isn't that a function of the positioning of the "hot spots" for each runway?  Probably could be fixed in WED if you fly out of the same airport frequently.

"Isn't that a function of the positioning of the "hot spots" for each runway?"

I am using Ted's Detroit scenery.

My first usage the taxi route was wrong.

He released a current version of Detroit which fixed that taxi route.

I do knot know about Hot Spots and WED.

I wrote to Ted the other day about no departure from 21R KDTW  ... infinite HOLD ... but no reply from him yet on that.

Anybody else using KDTW ?

Park East parking general aviation .. you will get a taxi to 21R (clear skies test).

Best Regards,

Using WED you can define the "hold" points, taxiways and AI traffic direction among other things.  When you use user-made scenery packs, these things are (usually) manually placed by the author.  I'm not sure how the default scenery runways are handled by the XP code, but since they are not hand-made, there should be some consistency with placement once you figure it out.  Only the custom airports may differ.  I don't use ATC in XP so I'm not a very good source of information, but I have used WED a bit.

I have not used WED ... is it easy to learn?

I also started on the West side of KDTW (Ted's Detroit scenery) at a gate near departing AI flights (jets ans a copter) at RWY 22L.

ATC did not want me departing from 22L .. instead taxi me around the airport to 21R?

Looks like 21R is for props.

Same problem .. did not get a clearance to takeoff.

I was guessing that other pilots with Detroit (Ted's scenery) could try an ATC departure in a prop and see if all is ok.

Trying to figure out if it is a problem only on my X-plane 10.32 install or not.

Best Regards,

To be honest, I have not yet gotten into setting parking spots, hold points and other AI features in WED.  I'm still struggling to learn the basics of how to get things to look like they should at my local airport.

Having said that, I think WED is easy enough to use once you understand how the heirarchy works and get used to not leaving mistakes all over your scenery from forgetting to switch tools.  :-)  

I checked a current KDTW chart ... there are Hot Spots (taxi caution areas) but none near the 21R hold point.

There is one where 21R crosses 27R.

Are you sure a scenery Hot Spot placement can cause no departures from a specific runway?

Best Regards,

A set of 13 video's.  Great way to start with WED.  http://developer.x-plane.com/videos/creating-airports-with-worldeditor/

Thanks for the info and the link.

But first, will WED fix the problem in this topic?

I was guessing that other pilots with Detroit (Ted's scenery) could try an ATC departure in a prop and see if all is ok.

Trying to figure out if it is a problem only on my X-plane 10.32 install or not.

Best Regards,