Sign in to follow this  
Airway88

Get a V1 of lower than 100kts

Hello guys!

I was so lucky to fly with a friend of mine yesterday who is a captain for Norwegian/NAX at jumpseat on 6 sectors on the B738.

One of the legs was Stockholm to Oslo, in the FMC they did get a V1 at 95 knots.

TJ8gJlM.jpg

BUT in the FMC on the PMDG B738 the lowest you can get is 100 knots..

Is it possible until the next SP to get that option to get a lower V1 under 100 knots?

Since if the weather is bad as it was yesterday the V1 can go as low as 90 knots, even if VR is about 136 in the picture above.

Hope this can be done, or tell me how to change that values in the FMC via the configuration/dll/ini file :)

The V speeds in the FMC are only a suggestion. If conditions dictate a different value you should be able to enter that manually.

ki9cAAb.jpg

It's very slippery in Stockholm these days.

A bit off topic: I guess it's all relative... I've been flying in and out of Arlanda all week and the only parts actually slippery are the aprons :P. I was surprised to read the sentence "if the weather is as bad as yesterday" since it was basically CAVOK and clean runways yesterday :).

-Nils Holgersson

Edit: Missed the original post date. Still, Thursday was a relatively nice day as well in my opinion :P.

I've never seen. 41 knot split between V1 and Vr. Interesting.

Me either.  That is a tail strike just waiting to happen.

Me either.  That is a tail strike just waiting to happen.

How could this benefit a tail strike?

Statistically the majority of tail strikes at my company have been caused by an early rotation when there is a large V1-VR split.  The vast majority of takeoffs in the 738 have a very small V1-VR split.  Most of the tail strikes occur when the PF hears V1 and muscle memory kicks in and they begin to rotate shortly after ending up in an early rotation.

No, it shouldn't happen but the FOQA data shows the trap is very real and something to be aware of.

Statistically the majority of tail strikes at my company have been caused by an early rotation when there is a large V1-VR split.  The vast majority of takeoffs in the 738 have a very small V1-VR split.  Most of the tail strikes occur when the PF hears V1 and muscle memory kicks in and they begin to rotate shortly after ending up in an early rotation.

No, it shouldn't happen but the FOQA data shows the trap is very real and something to be aware of.

I learned something today. Thanks for sharing.

I often say "pause" or something to remind them. But it's usually 15 knots tops.

I just can't see accelerating 41 knots on one engine. Yikes.

Matt Cee

Surely 95 knots is less than Vmcg?

The NGX CDU will not accept a V1 entry less than 100. Is that the same for the actual aircraft?

ki9cAAb.jpg

Understand the picture in the original post does not really prove anything.  They could have entered any speeds into the FMC, that does not in any way confirm they are accurate.  Mistakes can happen.

If it was an -800 out of Stockholm and 22k, then 95 could be the Vmcg. V1 would normally be about 136, though. I don't know what corrections would require that much of a split.

Maybe they bug Vmcg if V1 = Vr or something like that. Lots of variation in SOPs. My company calls V1 at V1-5 for some crazy reason - probably a holdover from the Coronado or the Grumman Goose. Grrrrrrrrrrr.

Matt Cee

I just can't see accelerating 41 knots on one engine. Yikes.

I'd be leaving a cone shapped seat cushin behind. Yikes indeed.

Dan Downs KCRP