Sign in to follow this  
autogyro

PC12 Overhaul Mod V1.0 and N594WA Repaint Released

Guest Mik75

Thanks a lot! Will download and try it on Sunday! You are really fast!!! ;-)

Thank you again for this mod. But I have not flown in a couple days because the sounds are so underwhelming. I replaced some annunciation sounds with the Flight1 PC-12 but the engine does not sound that great. Is anyone working on new sounds or can I buy a better sound pack somewhere?

There's a good freeware C208 soundset in the AVSIM File Library.  It's the same engine as in the PC-12 (at a different power output but that shouldn't affect the sound much).

Hi Guys,

Just installed the latest mods and back from a test flight. Great work Shuai! Many thanks for your effort and time.

I have put the gages into the panel file, checked the ESS BUS and it is working. So, I suppose

the mod is installed correctly.

During my test flight, I checked the PT6 engine bahaviour and found that the T/Q - ITT relationship is much better now (the FF was "by the book").

STILL, I have to throttle BACK as I climb to remain within ITT limit! This is just the opposite to RW engine handling, where you have to INCREASE throttle to maintain climb T/Q until you reach ITT limit.

I am not sure that it is still an unavoidable FSX constraint or I missed something?

Cheers,

Tamas

Hi onduty,

Thanks for your feedback. Unfortunately (or fortunately) it's not a bug, i simply couldn't find a source as to whether you had to throttle back or up as you climbed.

A temp fix is really simple. Just use your default .air file backed up instead of the modded one. I don't think I changed anything else in the .air file other than the throttle behaviour vs altitude.

Do you happen to have any sources on the throttle behaviour?

Many thanks for the your quick reply.

I will try to collect some "official" technical description/explanation on turboprop engine handling.

But till then here is my "unofficial" version based on RW ops (please consider that I'm on the stupid user side):

On the the PT6 during climb, if you do not touch anything, ITT will be steady, but T/Q will decrease slowly. (There is some thermodynamic explanation behind it, I can dig it out from my books for you).Therefore, if you want to maintain a constant T/Q you have to gradualy advance your throttle, adding more fuel which results an increase in ITT.

Depending on how much is your engine "flat rated", at a certain altitude you will reach your ITT climb limit (the engine "temps out"), so, you must not move your throttle further. ITT will be seady but your T/Q will decrease slowly.

This behaviour applies also for fixed shaft turboprops like the Garretts on the Cessna 441,Fairchild Metro, etc.

To my knowledge ther are only two FSX add-on's that model this handling properly, the F1 King Air and the good old (but remarkable) Digital Aviation Piper Cheyenne.

More complex FSX aircraft like the Majestic Q400 avoid FSX limitations by external programs (in this case the problem is even more complicated because the Q400 uses electronic engine control with fixed throttle detents for the various power settings).

That's it for now,

Tamas

(I envy your computer skill and knowledge!)

Thanks for the great explanation!

I'll have a think as to how this can be done in the context of FSX/P3D - the default .air file won't exactly match this behaviour, but nor will my current modified .air file. I can get reasonably close, I think. But it will take some time to test it out.

If you don't mind, in the meantime please try the default .air file with your Carenado install, if you still have a copy of it - let me know how accurate that is and I can tweak it from there. Thanks buddy.

1. Good news that you consider to work on this problem! :smile:

2. I do not have the original cfg (just lazy with file handling) but I can assure you that the original Carenado behaviour is just the same i.e. the  change in engine parameters are just the oposite to RW. It1s not your fault!

The majority of developers simple don't care about it. Too much work/cost to satisfy the hair-splitters. The usual excuse is: "sorry, it is an inherent FSX problem, it handles turboprop like this, anyway it is a toy only".(We all now that it is not!)

Still, we could see some devs, who circumnavigated this shortcoming nicely and smartly.

Shuai, just indicate if you need further help/data on this, I try  to dig it out from my manuals. The problem is that I do not have any RW experience with the PC-12 (but I can "read" the manuals), rather on B200 and Piper Cheyenne.

Fortunately, I have a copy of PC-12/45 AOM, and first I will determine the altitude where the engine becomes ITT limited (remember "flat-rating") for you.

Cheers,

Tamas

Ah I wasn't aware that was why it was disabled. Of course you can easily go into your settings and disable them to regain your clickspots.

I had a computer melt down.  Reinstalling everything.  Just to clarify, this v1.5 Release "DOES NOT" include Bert's MOD

Why do you think that?

If you are having clickspot issues, refer to 777200LRF's post on instrument reflections.

I don't know why you'd say Bert's mods are not included... It is definitely included - you can easily verify because there are XML files for the transponder (DIGTTRANS_PC12 folder) and the autopilot (GAUGEPC12KMC).