Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Question: Is a rating of 70M for terrain mesh, visually appealing?

Just sorting through FS9 terrain mesh offerings...and wonder if  mesh rated at 70M will be strikingly different visually from standard FS9 mountainous depictions?

Not really too 'mesh' literate...and would appreciate comments from others that have done their due diligence in this area...

Thanks!

Mitch

Yes, it will be noticeably better.  Mesh for stand FS9 is over 100M (forgotten the precise number); aftermarket mesh for FS9 is typically 90M, 76M, 38M, and 19M and makes a big difference...  I have virtually all of the mesh that Justin produced in FSGenesis's best days and my FS9 (in conjunction with UT, GEP, and REX) looks a great deal like enhanced FSX.

DJ

Yes, it will be noticeably better.  Mesh for stand FS9 is over 100M (forgotten the precise number); aftermarket mesh for FS9 is typically 90M, 76M, 38M, and 19M and makes a big difference...  I have virtually all of the mesh that Justin produced in FSGenesis's best days and my FS9 (in conjunction with UT, GEP, and REX) looks a great deal like enhanced FSX.

DJ

Wow...ok..I'm getting excited, here!  I'm seriously into an 'FS9' revival...so who puts out the 38m or 19m candy?  What's the link?  Thanks!

Ok, found 19M at FS Genesis...but thought they went out of business?!?!?

Post edit:  Does anybody have the 19m/and or 38m bundle for the U.S.?   If so....can you post a pic in this link for let's say the mountains around San Francisco...or anywhere in the Pacific Northwest, with 19m in play. That is what I am interested in...thanks!

Mesh for stand FS9 is over 100M

It's way over 1 km. 100 m, we wouldn't be posting here.

BTW, there's a DEM7 mesh available for the whole world at http://www.ludowise.x10host.com/. There's also a DEM5 mesh, but this is what FS9 already has. This would improve from 1.2 to 0.3 km. Not bad for a freeware worldwide package.

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

It's way over 1 km. 100 m, we wouldn't be posting here.

BTW, there's a DEM7 mesh available for the whole world at http://www.ludowise.x10host.com/. There's also a DEM5 mesh, but this is what FS9 already has. This would improve from 1.2 to 0.3 km. Not bad for a freeware worldwide package.

So then, as I understand this...if you want a 38m or 19 m world-wide, the DEM would be resolved to be at a setting of level 11 or 12?  Is that correct?

Signed;  Student of Mesh'ology....

So then, as I understand this...if you want a 38m or 19 m world-wide, the DEM would be resolved to be at a setting of level 11 or 12?  Is that correct?

Signed;  Student of Mesh'ology....

If I understood correctly, DEM9 means 76 m, so that would be 10 or 11 (I'm not sure I'm right)...

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

If I understood correctly, DEM9 means 76 m, so that would be 10 or 11 (I'm not sure I'm right)...

I think that's right. And, confusingly, to make that work, you need to edit the fs9.cfg for a tmvl of 20 or 21! So many numbers to get lost in...

I use LOD7 mentioned by Luis Miguel and created by rhumbbafloppy. It's quite enough, and especially it doesn't create cliffs like FS Genesis and other global meshs.

Bernard

I think that FS9 can't process a 19m mesh. But even a 76 m mesh will do wonders compared to the FS9 stock mesh. 38m is only a minor improvement over 76 m in my eyes.

Cheers,

Harald

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

I think that FS9 can't process a 19m mesh

As I recall, FS9 standard mesh is 600m.

And yes, FS9 can display 20m mesh (Christian Stock's 20m New Zealand mesh has been around since 2006 - unfortunately it is no longer commercially available :(  ). Set your tmvl to 21 and bob's your n'uncle.

Dorian

Thanks Dorian, it's new to me but I will try.

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

You even can set level to 23!

You can, but I'm pretty sure it won't "do" anything.  FS2004 can only process down to 19m mesh (turned on by the FS9.1 update).  That is accomplhed by using a FS9.cfg parameter value of: TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=21  FS2004 will not process any value above that.

I seem to recall Justine selling the 76m mesh as a background/filler mesh to his 38m and finer meshes.

Thanks guys for all the comments.  It has sorted it out for me...and I'm onto 70M for world-wide.

Thanks again,

Ses