Sign in to follow this  
CaptainKorhonen

Poor performance in VC view

I just did a complete FSX reinstall a few days ago in an attempt to get the sim to run better, and while it seems that I succeeded (it runs at around 30fps near large cities and airports, and at a steady 60 everywhere else - using various GA aircraft), I just can't get the 777 to work properly. In the exterior view, it runs perfectly, but as soon as I switch to VC view, my framerate drops to somewhere between 10 and 20.

Now, I do understand it's a very detailed cockpit, but I didn't expect it to be quite THAT detailed. Even with ALL of the graphics settings either unchecked or turned all the way to minimum and with no traffic, I'm struggling to reach 60fps when sitting at some remote dirt airfield in the middle of nowhere. I've even tried to adjust the FMC's performance settings from 15fps down to 5 but didn't see any difference.

Is there anything else I could do to get it to run better?

Edit: PC Specs in my profile.

Have you tweaked your FSX config file and lower your settings? You can expect any PMDG plane to get lower FPS just because of how complex its systems are in comparison to just about any other addons in FSX. PMDG planes are probably one of the most complex and realistic virtual planes you can buy for a home simulator. I look at it this way: If you get x fps in FSX with the default 737, you will probably get a third of that fps with PMDG planes.

Don't forget... this is a flight simulator, not a fast-paced shooter, like Counter Strike or CoD. Smoothness and consistency should be your priority, not a high framerate. To give you an idea, I get about 22 fps at all times in the NGX with FTX Global, FSDT KJFK v2, and REX Essentials+OD (1024 clouds) with a locked 30fps in the skies. Most flight simmers, including myself, are satisfied with 20-30fps... even those with overclocked i7s.

As I said before, you'll need to edit your fsx.cfg file. There are dozens of config file tweaking guides online and on the forums. If you're too lazy to read up on tweaking go here: http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html

Another thing to note is that FSX likes quad-core Intel CPUs over 3.0 GHz. I recommend an i5 if you want to maintain at least 20 fps in any PMDG plane. If you list your specs, we can help you with tweaking if you'd like.

EDIT: Just saw your system specs. They're pretty good. You should be able to maintain at least 25 fps in the T7, but you still need to tweak the fsx.cfg if you haven't already.

Have you tweaked your FSX config file and lower your settings? You can expect any PMDG plane to get lower FPS just because of how complex its systems are in comparison to just about any other addons in FSX. PMDG planes are probably one of the most complex and realistic virtual planes you can buy for a home simulator. I look at it this way: If you get x fps in FSX with the default 737, you will probably get a third of that fps with PMDG planes.

Don't forget... this is a flight simulator, not a fast-paced shooter, like Counter Strike or CoD. Smoothness and consistency should be your priority, not a high framerate. To give you an idea, I get about 22 fps at all times in the NGX with FTX Global, FSDT KJFK v2, and REX Essentials+OD (1024 clouds) with a locked 30fps in the skies. Most flight simmers, including myself, are satisfied with 20-30fps... even those with overclocked i7s.

As I said before, you'll need to edit your fsx.cfg file. There are dozens of config file tweaking guides online and on the forums. If you're too lazy to read up on tweaking go here: http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html

Another thing to note is that FSX likes quad-core Intel CPUs over 3.0 GHz. I recommend an i5 if you want to maintain at least 20 fps in any PMDG plane. If you list your specs, we can help you with tweaking if you'd like.

EDIT: Just saw your system specs. They're pretty good. You should be able to maintain at least 25 fps in the T7, but you still need to tweak the fsx.cfg if you haven't already.

I have - editing the cfg was the first thing I did after installing FSX. I followed Word Not Allowed's tweaking guide and did it all by hand. Settings are high enough for it to look good, but low enough for the framerate to stay at 60 everywhere apart from the most densely populated areas. The only reason I'm trying to achieve 60fps is because 30fps looks TERRIBLE with TrackIR. But I guess I'll just have to live with it.

60 fps in FSX is just a dream.  Even the best overclockers and tweakers never get close.

60 fps in FSX is just a dream.  Even the best overclockers and tweakers never get close.

Agreed. Sorry Olavi  :(

I run FSX on FX-4100 only without any fsx config tweaking and Iam getting a decent frame rate.Just don't have fps ticked in fsx settings.Fsx is a prehistoric flight sim it doesn't require a that much of a high end computer.

Danny cebis.

Zdenek  Cebis