Sign in to follow this  
avgaskoolaid

BBS A330 MCDU Programming issue

Do you think that any of you who own the BBS A330 could tell me what I'm doing wrong here? I'm trying to follow the tutorial (from EGCC to OMDB), but when I'm programming the MCDU, I  get the error message 'Airway/Waypoint mismatch' when trying to pug in the first combination. Also, when I select the SID as they said in the tutorial, my fixes are slightly different than theirs. Is this because of my inability to use the MCDU/FMS? Or is it a bug with the aircraft? Maybe those of you who have it can tell me how to go about programming the MCDU if it is a bug? My version is the latest one, V.8, with the A330/A340. 

You are either putting in the wrong waypoint for the route or misspelling something. That error only comes if the waypoint you are entering is either incorrect or not part of the route you have listed. I had this issue myself until I realized I was reading from the wrong part of the route and trying to start the airway with the staring waypoint from the previous airway. :)

This can also happen if the route you are trying to enter contains new airway information/waypoints that are not in the older AIRAC data.

If you do AIRAC updates from Navigraph or Aerosoft's Navdata Pro, you can update the AIRAC for Blackbox using the PSS navdata. I find that usually solves any issues i have with route entry.

Bottom line, it's not a bug, it's intended functioning to prevent route anomalies (thus preventing repeats of American 965).

Howard H.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world"

-Mahatma Gandhi

You are either putting in the wrong waypoint for the route or misspelling something. That error only comes if the waypoint you are entering is either incorrect or not part of the route you have listed. I had this issue myself until I realized I was reading from the wrong part of the route and trying to start the airway with the staring waypoint from the previous airway. :)

This can also happen if the route you are trying to enter contains new airway information/waypoints that are not in the older AIRAC data.

If you do AIRAC updates from Navigraph or Aerosoft's Navdata Pro, you can update the AIRAC for Blackbox using the PSS navdata. I find that usually solves any issues i have with route entry.

Well, I was following the tutorial to a tee, and checked the entry that I was trying to put in 3 times for spelling errors. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion. I'll get a Navigraph cycle and see if it works out. It would be nice if BBS highlighted the need to do this though....

It might just be a typo in the tutorial. Cause I got a different error all together when a waypoint/route was not in the database. This error is purely procedural. You're putting in a airway/waypoint combo that does not fit with what was already in the route.

So you're getting an error when you type UL603/BASNO and enter it at LSK2R in the DESIG waypoint page? This is after you already set the SID via the departure page by clicking the runway and SID FIRST, correct? Cause if you're entering the route directly as it's listed in the boxed area on page 18 without entering the sid first you will have errors. Remember it's different than programming a Boeing or even the Aerosoft A320. You have to enter Airway/Waypoint. Not the reverse. So if you went direct off the route list you'll get an error because it lists DESIG/UL603 and you need to enter UL603/BASNO on the DESIG page.

If you wanted to enter direct from a route without entering a SID first, the first waypoint (in this case DESIG) needs to be entered by itself (see picture at bottom of page 21) and then you'd use the airway/waypoint function as previously mentioned to enter the rest of the route. Remember, if adding airways to your route it's airway/waypoint, not the reverse.

Howard H.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world"

-Mahatma Gandhi

It might just be a typo in the tutorial. Cause I got a different error all together when a waypoint/route was not in the database. This error is purely procedural. You're putting in a airway/waypoint combo that does not fit with what was already in the route.

So you're getting an error when you type UL603/BASNO and enter it at LSK2R in the DESIG waypoint page? This is after you already set the SID via the departure page by clicking the runway and SID FIRST, correct? Cause if you're entering the route directly as it's listed in the boxed area on page 18 without entering the sid first you will have errors. Remember it's different than programming a Boeing or even the Aerosoft A320. You have to enter Airway/Waypoint. Not the reverse. So if you went direct off the route list you'll get an error because it lists DESIG/UL603 and you need to enter UL603/BASNO on the DESIG page.

If you wanted to enter direct from a route without entering a SID first, the first waypoint (in this case DESIG) needs to be entered by itself (see picture at bottom of page 21) and then you'd use the airway/waypoint function as previously mentioned to enter the rest of the route. Remember, if adding airways to your route it's airway/waypoint, not the reverse.

Yep, that's what I was doing. First the SID, then UL603/BASNO, and it was still giving me the error.

Anyway, I updated the NavData, and now everything looks as it should after I enter the SID (the same one used in the tutorial), and I am able to put in UL603/BASNO and UL620/KOMUR properly. However, the error presents itself again as soon as I try to enter UM748/KOPIT. Again, I've followed everything exactly as it is in the tutorial twice, even down to loading the aircraft as they suggest. This is quite frustrating.

That can happen if airways or intersections have been revised or changed. So if you are using an 'old' flightplan with a new (and changed) nav cycle this can happen. What I do when this occurs is to program it manually, depending on what has changed in the new cycle I just throw in a 'direct to' between the point's affected. If you have a flightplan where all nav data between waypoint -> airway -> waypoint is available/listed, you can manually insert all the nav points one by one (as direct to) and skip the airway all together.

To avoid manual labour you'll need to create a flighplan using the same cycle as your MCDU (FMC).

So it has nothing to do with a special aircraft but all to do with mismatching nav data. And just to add; the nav data is revised every month. Not that all nav points are altered monthly, but changes here and there do occur. Hope that it helps alleviating your frustrations. :)