Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

[08FEB15] FSX:SE for PMDG 737NGX, J41, etc... also: DVD customer updates

If the MD-11 can add the weather rader function........

That won't happen.

Also, please read, and obey by, the forum rules.

Hope the beta testing is going well. good luck!

I think it's going well, otherwise Kyle wouldn't say "soon" or "later". 

Philipp Schwaegerl

Good Luck with that, right now - it seems that PMDG's "Soon™" is very much like Sony's "Soon™"

In other words, it'll happen when it happens, regardless of how many paying customers we chase away or ###### off badly.

-Robert Millington

I have to agree: one of the biggest mistakes I made was to jump on the FSX:SE wagon without fully researching it for problems such as this.  With the old desktop in storage along with the original FSX DVD, I thought it would be advantageous to purchase the Steam Edition.  The context of the announcement implied that an updated release of the 737 NGX was a handful of days or so away.  It's been over a week, no status updates, and so I have an expensive digital doorstop because it will not run. Same thing with ActiveSky Next; one message indicating that there should be a Steam-compatible release around the 10th- it is now the 14th and still no news.  I am sure that we can all agree that it is better to have a proven, quality release than to deal with one that was hastily done and full of bugs, but on the other hand I feel that it is a bit of a disservice to us paying customers when we are left hanging.  I work on cargo ships for a living- it would have been nice to have all of this working before I have to leave in a few days for another 4 months and out of reach of broadband Internet connections.  That's just my two cents worth.

what should have happened is Dovetail  Games should have included or at least asked the popular developers such as PMDG, A2A, Active sky next etc or even us simmers on the avsim forum for our input on what was needed or what we would like to see in FSX steam and held off release until so instead off rushing it out

Jason Richards

The problem is that if I recall correctly Dovetail only has distribution rights for FSX, so they're limited in just how much they can change. A few minor fixes to some known issues is one thing, but I don't think they're allowed to make major changes to the code itself. I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure that was the extent of the agreement. I do agree that it certainly appears there was little in the way of input from developers like PMDG which would have possibly prevented situations like these where everyone is waiting for their favorite add ons to become compatible. Even once the NGX gets the green light, there's no using the new wx radar in FSX SE until Hifi patches Activesky to make it compatible. Admittedly, it's a real tough spot for the developers. 

-John Luis

My question is, why are they bothering including the Weather Radar into the patch that is supposed to be mainly for FSX:Steam edition, when the weather radar doesn't work with steam edition either. Why Not patch it to work, and then work on adding the weather radar afterwards, fix it - then add features, type of deal. 

-Robert Millington

The folks who produce ASN were hoping to have an FSX-SE beta out right about now, nothing yet but it seems it should be soon. The two releases will hopefully coincide pretty nicely.

-John Luis 

Do you think PMDG is holding the SP1d back because of the ASN BETA? 

At this point, i am starting to think thats the case, that they are holding back the patch as they wait to make it even relevant to have spent so much time adding in the weather radar into the patch that is supposedly primarily for steam edition compatibility. 

-Robert Millington

Ok this is an assumption. 

The WXR is just a little feature. As Kyle showed, it works already.

They focusing mainly on the steam edition, don't worry. 

Philipp Schwaegerl

Ok this is an assumption. 

The WXR is just a little feature. As Kyle showed, it works already.

They focusing mainly on the steam edition, don't worry. 

But, if they are waiting on the Steam Edition beta for ASN and holding off the release of the NGX till then - Then clearly its not as small a feature as they let on, or - and all of this is just assumptions but from what we can see from what they have showed us, i don't see why we didn't have the 737NGX steam update days ago - Other then the fact that the ASN Steam beta hasn't been released yet.

-Robert Millington

Maybe something went wrong with the beta? Maybe a little hickup with the SE and the 737?

As I said, the WXR is just a little feature, the SP will come with fixes and other stuff too. 

It is complex stuff they working on. Let them do, they will get this bird into the SE soon (PMDG soon  :ph34r:).

Philipp Schwaegerl

Maybe something went wrong with the beta? Maybe a little hickup with the SE and the 737?

As I said, the WXR is just a little feature, the SP will come with fixes and other stuff too. 

It is complex stuff they working on. Let them do, they will get this bird into the SE soon (PMDG soon  :ph34r:).

Again, from what i can tell the aircraft is done - but ASN Beta hasn't come out yet, so i think PMDG is holding the release as they wait for the ASN beta to come out so that the whole adding the feature wasn't entirely in vain and to make the wait justified, while they just make us wait all the more... 

Then again, these are all assumptions, but it really is looking that way

-Robert Millington

Yeah but they released the 777 when it was ready and it has the WX radar too, I'm sure the 737 will be the same, as soon as it's ready they'll roll it out. The weather radar isn't a deal breaker for most folks anyways, after all we've been flying the ole girl for years now without a weather radar. When the ASN beta is ready it'll be a nice bonus, but until then just having the NGX back will be fine.

-John Luis