Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

[08FEB15] FSX:SE for PMDG 737NGX, J41, etc... also: DVD customer updates

We didn't intentionally block things so that people wouldn't have shadows. That would make no sense. I don't know the reasoning behind it, but there's some reason it was done to make the sim do something we needed it to do.

Shadows are one of the few 'unique selling points' to persuade people into buying the P3D version, which means there is no incentive of bothering with shadows for the FSX version.

Of course, this is based on the assumption that PMDG wants regular simmers to actually upgrade from FSX & buy the P3D version. The lack of this incentive is caused by creating a license tier for a more mainstream (non-professional in RSR's words) P3D market.  

My use of the word 'intentionally' may be a bit off here: 'consciously' would be a better fit if the work-around required to get the shadows to work in P3D would not be addressed & rolled back to the FSX version in the upcoming patch . 

Do they? I haven't seen that survey. I don't doubt that many do, but I wouldn't assign yourself as the spokesperson for others without their consent.

I was under the impression that the context made it clear that 'the community' means the growing DX10 community. Apparently I am automatically a spokesperson if I simply relay my own thoughts that are backed by the increasing amount of chatter regarding the 'NGX VC shadows' matter. The response was a bit uncalled for, but I guess I deserved that: my apologies if I came across like a spokesperson. 

I'll bring it up, but I make no promises. We don't make a habit of changing things that will break other, more useful things.

Thank you very much Kyle, I really appreciate that. I would agree with that last argument if it wasn't for the fact that the change is unavoidable in this case, as it has to be applied in order to offer a fully compatible P3D version.

I hope Vin & Alex can manage to resolve the HGS' dependency on the shaded box geometry. ^_^

Henk de Vries

I was under the impression that the context made it clear that 'the community' means the growing DX10 community. Apparently I am automatically a spokesperson if I simply relay my own thoughts that are backed by the increasing amount of chatter regarding the 'NGX VC shadows' matter. The response was a bit uncalled for, but I guess I deserved that: my apologies if I came across like a spokesperson. 

No need to apologize here. I was just making you aware of how it came across. Regardless of whether or not 'the community' means the growing DX10 community, starting a sentence with "the community kindly requests" assumes you to be the speaker on their behalf as you're the one delivering this message using 'the community' as the subject. In a similar manner, I would not go anywhere and type "Henk kindly requests" something unless you'd given me permission to speak on your behalf, or you're on record somewhere voicing a particular opinion.

A more appropriate subject might have been "I kindly request," or, "a number of the DX10 community kindly request [...]." It's a nit-picky point, but one I think people should be aware of. I know I wouldn't be too happy with someone saying "the pilot community believes [...]."

Thank you very much Kyle, I really appreciate that. I would agree with that last argument if it wasn't for the fact that the change is unavoidable in this case, as it has to be applied in order to offer a fully compatible P3D version.

I hope Vin & Alex can manage to resolve the HGS' dependency on the shaded box geometry.

I'm no modeler, and I'm assuming you are, given your clear position on this, so I'm assuming you know more than I do about all of this. I still stand by the idea that it was done for a specific reason, though we may have found a new method to allow this. I'll see. Thanks for the feedback.

Kyle Rodgers

Shadows are one of the few 'unique selling points' to persuade people into buying the P3D version, which means there is no incentive of bothering with shadows for the FSX version.
I tried having VC shadows in FSX using the fixer and they were horrible - in the 777 I could see shadows of the overhead panel buttons! As if the panel was transparent. Not realistic at all.

A more appropriate subject might have been "I kindly request," or, "a number of the DX10 community kindly request [...]." It's a nit-picky point, but one I think people should be aware of. I know I wouldn't be too happy with someone saying "the pilot community believes [...]."
I think if we really did do a poll, we would find that more members of "the community" would prefer those resources go into finishing the NGX SP1d rather than shadows.

Is there now the option to remove the RMI on the NGX with SP pack ?  just wondering, not a big thing.

RSR will be publishing a change list later.

Kyle Rodgers

RSR will be publishing a change list later.

What is a "PMDG-later"? The same as "PMDG-soon"? :lol:   :ph34r:

Philipp Schwaegerl

I tried having VC shadows in FSX using the fixer and they were horrible - in the 777 I could see shadows of the overhead panel buttons! As if the panel was transparent. Not realistic at all.

What version of the fixer are you using Wes, That was fixed many versions ago. The shadows in the 777 are darn good now.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Badfinger, on 13 Feb 2015 - 11:10 PM, said:

What version of the fixer are you using Wes, That was fixed many versions ago. The shadows in the 777 are darn good now.

The version that was current about 2 months ago. I always keep up to date except for the latest update that is FSX:SE related.

I could try again when I have time tomorrow...

Cheers

The version that was current about 2 months ago. I always keep up to date except for the latest update that is FSX:SE related.

I could try again when I have time tomorrow...

Cheers

Sounds like your settings are not quite correct. I am not able to share mine at the moment, as I have just installed a new HDD in my flying machine, and have not filled it yet. There is a post in the DX10 forum by MarkW who has shared his settings. But I can assure you, the shadows are very good now.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Sounds like your settings are not quite correct. I am not able to share mine at the moment, as I have just installed a new HDD in my flying machine, and have not filled it yet. There is a post in the DX10 forum by MarkW who has shared his settings. But I can assure you, the shadows are very good now.

I shall do some testing tomorrow and see. I have bought the P3D version but haven't even bought P3D yet, so intend to stick with fsx for another few months ... cheers. 

I shall do some testing tomorrow and see. I have bought the P3D version but haven't even bought P3D yet, so intend to stick with fsx for another few months ... cheers. 

I wrote this in a different thread but same goes here. Works for getting VC shadows in both the PMDG 777 and Majestic Dash q400 in FSX DX10.

1. In the DX10 Scenery Fixer Panel, press the Legacy option

2. Un-tick "Legacy Aircraft Self Shadow"

3. Un-tick "Legacy Aircraft Force Shadows"

4. In the Shadows Options bar, tick "Force VC walls"

Now, its should work. Additionally, I have un-ticked the V2.0 Transparency logic option under the Legacy option as well because it interferes with Aerosoft Gardemoen X. And really, I don't know if it makes any difference to new scenery. Oh, and the slider at the top of the Legacy option is moved all the way to the left or else I get trouble with FlyTampa Copenhagen. But this shouldn't affect VC shadows, I think. 

And before I forget, you might want to add this line in to your FSX.cfg 

ForceVCShadowMap=1 

under the Display section

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

I wrote this in a different thread but same goes here. Works for getting VC shadows in both the PMDG 777 and Majestic Dash q400 in FSX DX10.

1. In the DX10 Scenery Fixer Panel, press the Legacy option

2. Un-tick "Legacy Aircraft Self Shadow"

3. Un-tick "Legacy Aircraft Force Shadows"

4. In the Shadows Options bar, tick "Force VC walls"

Now, its should work. Additionally, I have un-ticked the V2.0 Transparency logic option under the Legacy option as well because it interferes with Aerosoft Gardemoen X. And really, I don't know if it makes any difference to new scenery. Oh, and the slider at the top of the Legacy option is moved all the way to the left or else I get trouble with FlyTampa Copenhagen. But this shouldn't affect VC shadows, I think. 

And before I forget, you might want to add this line in to your FSX.cfg 

ForceVCShadowMap=1 

under the Display section

Cheers for the help I may try that...

FYI, sign your posts or your helpful info will be deleted...

Will let you know how I get on RE shadows.

It's my birthday today...It would be a nice gift if the NGX was released ahahahah :P

Good Luck with that, right now - it seems that PMDG's "Soon™" is very much like Sony's "Soon™"

In other words, it'll happen when it happens, regardless of how many paying customers we chase away or ###### off badly.

-Robert Millington