Sign in to follow this  
Dimka

Temps and performance doesn't seem right.

Hello,

I re installed FSX and re applied Arctic thermal paste to my i7 4790K CPU last night, and some problems have arose:

With the CPU running at stock speed, 4.0GHz 1.835V (auto), my temperatures are in the mid 50's to low 70's with nothing running. And when I fire up the sim, they jump up to the low 90's and I cut power to make sure they don't overheat. Before I applied the new thermal paste, temps would be low 40's to low 50's. And with the sim running, I would never break 75oC. 

Now on the sim side. I have done months of research before getting the i7, and people who have it seem to get great FPS in payware planes at payware scenery with little to no stutters. I am the opposite. A flight with a scenery plane at scenery airport takes WAY longer than it did before the FSX re install. And IF a flight does load, looking around and changing views causes FS to freeze and stutter. 

I went through the tweaking guide and did all the tweaks I could. When I unchecked all of my addon scenery and loaded a default flight, all was fine, accept for the CPU temps were a bit high, but nothing bad. Then I activated FTX Global only and loaded the AES at SFO, loading took longer, and I broke 90oC. I don't know what is goin on, but it wasn't as it was before. I could load the AES at FlightBeams SFO fast, and I didn't have stutters and freezes and more loading screens. 

If anyone has knowledge on this, help would be appreciated, I practically can not use the sim right now. 

This topic went into CPU/Hardware because this seems like a processor issue, not a FSX programming issue, and I am NOT getting CTD's.  

Is that voltage a typo, because you shouldnt be running at anything like that.  Mine runs at 1.25v for 4.5ghz o/c

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

yep thats way too high, im at 1.21v  at stock settings, must admit tho since ive had this new 4790k i cant seem to get decent performance on fsx or p3d, had a 2500k before this and had better performance, have you up graded your motherboard bios that changed voltages for me ?

I have the Asus Z-97 Maximums II motherboard. What voltage should I set? My temps have gone down to low 40's because I took off some of the paste, but I still can not load a flight, it gets to 100% and either black screens or says fatal error. 

It seems that even after it takes a long time to load, textures and clouds still aren't loaded. Could this be a graphics card issue? 

How did you apply the thermal paste?

Typically I put a small drop (smaller than the size of a #2 pencil eraser) in the center of the CPU.  Then just put the cooler on top.  That's the generally recommended practice.  Too much and it won't cool very well.

Here's a pic that matches what I do:

dollop.jpg

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Is it vrin or CPU input voltage thats not vcore Its normal +0.5v over vcore i run 2.0v

If you have a vcore of 1.8v you hit +100c when open windows.

My temps are low and normal again. I re-applied thermal paste and tweaked voltage and fan speeds. It seems now that the problem might be my GTX 650 graphics card. When I play Black OPS 2, Minecraft, or any other game, a message pops up and says 'Your computer is low on memory. Save your files and cloe these programs: Flight Simulator X/Black OPS 2/ Minecraft, it depends on the game. This did not happen before I replaced the CPU. After the old one fried, I sent it out and got another i7 4790K and now this happens. I think the slow loading and freezes might be because the graphics card might be struggling.