Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

[08FEB15] P3D Pricing Policy - Some facts on this issue...

Makes perfect sense p3d is evolving and so to will the pmdg products as rob stated, if you cant afford it stay with fsx simple, we all knew was going to be dearer

Robert

Do i understand correctly that the products we purchase for p3d will be continually updated with new functionality ie not just the odd service pack but continual updates in line with p3d or is it only the enterprise purchase, thanks

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

I think the decision by PMDG to not issue a discount puts me at a crossroads.

As a non-professional customer, where should I be investing my money? P3D or FSX?

I think PMDG has missed the Mark on this one.  What about other high end developers like the Majestic Q400 get a dual Licence.  Its not a complete Remake off the 777 but if I buy for P3D im Paying full price again!  It would be good if we could pay a fee to transfer our existing licence across to P3D and cancel the FSX one

Jason Richards

I have been working with p3d since v2.0 and have been waiting for pmdg to release a plane 

for it.I am just glad it is not 200$ and i can get it for 90$. I have all the planes for fsx but just cant fly 

them any more as p3d just works so much better. Looking forward to getting it next week.

Thank you pmdg

Ted Kiser

p.s Robert has been very up front from the beging so when the ngx comes out i guess i will have to re buy it

My take on this pricing issue is this: It amazes me that a developer of a product such as this announced that the pricing for their product was going to be sub $200, and now, it is out, and the original price is sub $150, and as if that is not kind enough, for one whole month, the product is on sale for sub $100, and people are still complaining!

PMDG-777-EK-SIG-MAY1713-2_zps6f2ed2be.pn

Chidiebere Anyahara

one small problem Robert, on the product page for the P3D 777 it states that ..

• This PMDG 777 license is for personal use only, not for professional or training use.

This should probably be changed if you are saying that P3D is for the professional or enterprise user.

one small problem Robert, on the product page for the P3D 777 it states that ..

• This PMDG 777 license is for personal use only, not for professional or training use.

This should probably be changed if you are saying that P3D is for the professional or enterprise user.

This is correct. The professional and training licenses are not yet available. Refer to the original post. This is explained.

Kyle Rodgers

I am a professional that uses P3D for my personal use.... it's not an either or interpretation.  The only problem arises if I were to use the application in a workplace for example, or in a training school.

Dan Downs KCRP

I look at it this way..I am paying 12cents/day for next two years to enjoy this...now it looks affordable to me..

I paid 300 dollars (here in Australia) to sit for an hour on Level D 777 Simulator (for the first time).

I am not a pilot just a home simmer and the moment I looked at the controls in front of me, deep in my heart I was grateful to PMDG for what they have reproduced on a desktop. I felt like I knew every bit of that cockpit.

Thank you again for your products. They are priceless.

Hi all,

I must say I'm a little suprised with just how upset the forum seems to be with PMDGs pricing structure.

As an (almost) exclusive P3D simmer since the first v1 release, I've had to go through this re-purchasing of licences rather a lot fo times already. I wonder if a lot of the negative comments come from those who are either not P3D fliers or who are still in 'dipping toe in the water stage'?

I was just thinking about the planes and avionics that I actually have installed in P3D right now.

A2A 182 - needs a separate licence purchase if you own the FSX version

Milviz C310, 737, B55 - separate licence purchase

F1 GTN750 - separate licence purchase, costs 30% more than the FSX version

In FSX I tended to buy a lot of cheap planes that I didn't fly more than once. I think I've learned to buy a smaller number whilst aiming for quality. The planes (and the GPS) on that list are the best currently available aircraft for this sim platform, IMHO.

The are two manufacturers that make aircraft that I fly in P3D that offered free dual installers:

Aerosoft A318/319/320/321 - free dual installer - this stands out to me as one of only two complex aircraft where a single purchase covers both FSX and P#D

Carenado (multiple) - though many of my older Carenado planes don't have a P3D version and the performance of some is not stellar in P3D - where glass cockpits are inlcuded they don't seem particularly fast in P3D so I consider the Carenado planes to be pretty basic ports.

There's really two aircraft that I don't own that I'd consider to be high quality and complex - the iFly 737, which is available only as a separate purchase if you want a P3D licence to go with your FSX, the the Majestic Q400 which I beleive offers dual installers.

What I take from this is that it's reasonably rare for the top aircraft developers to offer a free P3D version. Some do (e.g. Aerosoft), but in other cases like the F1 GTN I'm paying for a whole new licence AND it's significantly more expensive than the FSX one. 

So yes, it's a new sim platform as far as most are concerned and you're going to buying new licences for many of your favourite FSX planes. In my opinion, it's definitely worth it - but mileage, as always, will vary.

Happy flying all - I've managed to get the 777 bought and downloaded whilst typing this. I'm pretty sure she wants to fly - planes are like that - so time to get her installed and spool the engines. :)

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Robert,

It is interesting that you make the battlefield comparison.  A closer example to the FSX->P3D scenerio might be the transition from ps3 to ps4.  EA in this case did offer an upgrade program for battlefield 4.

http://www.battlefield.com/battlefield-4/playstation-4-upgrade

PS3 to PS4 is certainly a further jump than FSX to P3D...at least in terms of software architecture.

I just bring that up as I agree with most of Corey's points and find the battlefield and FS9 737 to NGX examples to be a bit disingenuous to bring up for this current issue.  Most people would clearly see that the FS9 737 was a completely different product than the NGX.  And with the battlefield franchise there was clearly a discounted upgrade path for ps3 owners to jump to the ps4 platform.  

anyway this is probably picky but your examples just struck me as very odd support for your position.  EA has a history of offering these types of discounts and programs.  I'm sure you guys looked at all the pricing options and decided against any upgrade path and that's completely fine.  But if your position was platform switching/upgrade programs weren't common in the software industry i disagree with that completely.

As others have alluded to, I think the other side of the coin is given the depth of their simulations, PMDG's products are underpriced to begin with, from the perspective of sophisitcation, complexity, development time, and support. Developers churn out airports that are about 1/3 the price of the T7 that are probably at least a 1000th as complex. Given the talent required to produce their products as well as the opportunity to apply those talents in other more lucrative directions I'm thankful that not only does PMDG continue to develop products for the flight simmer hobbiest market, I'm thankful that they charge what they do. I'd guess more than a few times during the development cycle of a complex aircraft they ask themselves, "And we're going to sell this for how much?"

I'm also glad PMDG seems to be thick-skinned when it comes to ingratitude and entitlement.

Brian Johnson

i9-9900K (OC 5.0), ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero Z390, Nvidia 2080Ti, 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, OS on Samsung 860 EVO 1TB M.2, P3D on SanDisk Ultra 3D NAND 2TB SSD

+1

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

As others have alluded to, I think the other side of the coin is given the depth of their simulations, PMDG's products are underpriced to begin with, from the perspective of sophisitcation, complexity, development time, and support. Developers churn out airports that are about 1/3 the price of the T7 that are probably at least a 1000th as complex. Given the talent required to produce their products as well as the opportunity to apply those talents in other more lucrative directions I'm thankful that not only does PMDG continue to develop products for the flight simmer hobbiest market, I'm thankful that they charge what they do. I'd guess more than a few times during the development cycle of a complex aircraft they ask themselves, "And we're going to sell this for how much?"

I'm also glad PMDG seems to be thick-skinned when it comes to ingratitude and entitlement.

Yep I agree with what your'e saying.   It's like when i talk to people that are upset with how long it's taking G.R.R. Martin to finish the next Game of Thrones book...I just argue that he doesn't owe us anything.  Same thing here...PMDG doesn't owe us anything for Prepar3d.  Sure an upgrade program would be a nice gesture and would certainly make my decision to migrate easier but I don't feel entitled to it nor am I upset that there isn't one.  Frankly I"m happy that they are entering the Prepar3d space...more options are always better even if I decide against going down that route.