Sign in to follow this  
PDX Flyer

On New Computer: Install FSX:SE or FSX:Boxed?

I am building a new high end computer primarily for Flight Simulator.  Initially, I prefer to install just one version.  So the sixty-four-thousand dollar question is: does it make more sense to buy and install FSX:SE or reinstall by FS:Boxed version that is on my current computer?  I am assuming that ASN will successfully get converted over, as this is a must have for me.

If this is of any help, I primarily fly GA and have most of the normal FSX add-ons including lots of Orbx stuff.

Any thoughts are welcomed. 

Thanks, PDX.

My boxed version is still alive. Was actually a new in box, that I've had for a couple of years. Have now bought quite a bit of Orbx scenery to go with it. Computer is new, too, with a Geforce 980.  Bought SE when it was on sale (five bucks), just like I bought FSX Gold on sale for 9.99.  I'm in no hurry to install SE, because the Gold version is running fast and smooth. Far from dead...

If you wish to fly Multiplayer using "Direct Connect" to a MP Server, FSX is the only option.

FSX-SE does not allow Direct Connect to an IP.

Pity, as that makes it worthless for my needs!

Paul

Wide-5.jpg

SE if you care about performance.  Also, there is a large multiplayer community via Steam.

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

WhY do you say SE?

Good question, now the banter begins again.

SE is alive and being updated, boxed version has been dead for years.

Oh, oh! Here we go again! someone start the popcorn, they're showing another drama.

I've just uninstalled FSX:SE and have installed box edition again. I was getting a lot of 'terrain.dll' and 'R6025' crashes. I've read somewhere that Dovetail is working on a fix, but until that gets released it's just to unstable for me.

I've just finished installing last night, so I haven't had time for a test flight yet. So wether I'll be getting better or worse perfomance I can't say just yet. But I don't expect it to be any different.

I will however most likely install FSX:SE edition again when the patch gets released. It was by far the easiest installation of FSX I have ever done :-)

SE 

3 reasons

Pete Dowson says so

JV says so

PMDG says so " FSX:SE compatibility (which is honestly what most of you here should probably be using rather than P3D)"

And most importantly mr VAS says so  :lol:

ZORAN

I would suggest installing SE and giving it a thorough test (ie long flights) in its vanilla state. Any issues with terrain.dll freezes will probably show up at this stage.

If all goes well start instaling the addons in stages.

If problems arise, uninstall it, revert to the boxed version and wait for the updates/fixes (as I am doing).

Don't forget Robert Young also says so.  That guy makes some awesome addons!  As far as the R6025 crashes with the faulting module as terrain.dll I encountered that once when flying in a freeware addon scenery, so I got rid of it and went back to that area and did not receive a crash, so just for your benefit, some addon scenerys don't play well with SE, but so far all of my payware sceneries work well, it's some of the older freeware sceneries that have caused issues for me.

Jeff

Don't forget Robert Young also says so.  That guy makes some awesome addons!  As far as the R6025 crashes with the faulting module as terrain.dll I encountered that once when flying in a freeware addon scenery, so I got rid of it and went back to that area and did not receive a crash, so just for your benefit, some addon scenerys don't play well with SE, but so far all of my payware sceneries work well, it's some of the older freeware sceneries that have caused issues for me.

I said no such thing! I do not have enough experience to say either way, so I'm not offering an opinion. Some say it works better, others say it provokes more crashes. I'm neutral on the sim itself (I have commented on DLC which is a different subject) until I've seen it run for a while longer and then see if the apparent positives outweigh the reported negatives. There's plenty of time. No need to rush.

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

My apologies Rob, I thought you offered up an opinion somewhere in another thread.

Jeff