Sign in to follow this  
PDX Flyer

On New Computer: Install FSX:SE or FSX:Boxed?

As far as the R6025 crashes with the faulting module as terrain.dll I encountered that once when flying in a freeware addon scenery, so I got rid of it and went back to that area and did not receive a crash

The only scenery addon I had installed was FS Global 2010, FTX Global, FTX Vector and FTX LC. So the problem may very well lie in one of the above mentioned, but it's just difficult to do with out any of them :-)

I do hope it gets sorted out though. I love the idea of FSX through steam with it's hassle free installation. 

I would love to see a triple-header comparison between the 2x FSX's & P3D.

As it is written above, there are 2x recommendations by vested interest vendors for FSX:SE.

My thoughts still are, & I have said elseware:

FSX: Still the classic, but discontinued yonks ago, no support apart from freeware & payware vendors.

FSX:SE I have a feeling that Dovetail released this as a DLC supported plug 'n Play sim, geared to their target newbie market. For the rest of us, a bonus is most addons work.

P3D must be put into the mix as an alternative choice (on V2.4 now, 10 upgrades/updates since released)

Which is better? The one that works best on our hardware, (yes, each & everyone of us will have different performance results, based on hardware & add-ons), & the one that switches on our imagination & passion the most.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

The idea that just because FSX-MS does not now have any official support, that means there is "no support", is a myth. There is nearly a decade's worth of high quality support from a huge variety of volunteer sources, not least right here on Avsim, which far surpasses that which MS ever offered. Maybe you are mixing up support with development?

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

In reality FSX is still being developed, albeit by proxy through companies such as Lockheed Martin and Dovetail Games. Which is why I can model in 3ds Max 2012 64 bit and export to FSX, all thanks to the freely available Prepar3d SDK.

Thanks for all of the replys!

When reading some of the other threads regarding comparisons between the two, it sort of leaves my head spinning.

I am leaning to install FSX:SE and see how it behaves on my computer. 

My question now is: if I don't like it and want to uninstall it, how easy is this really done?  I have read comments in the past that it is not as simple as doing a program uninstall, but you have to look multiple places and delete additional files.  Also, does a uninstall really fix the registry correctly?

Thanks, PDX

Sorry, I meant support from their distributors,as in FSX, as far as I know, has not had any support from Microsoft, no further updates or anything else for the last 7-8 years. FSX:Steam, updates & a forum on Steam, & obviously P3D,with its 10th upgrade/update from LM . Yup, Lockheed Martin has the license for ESP.

By support, yes, only Dovetail & LM are actively supporting & developing. We know that Dovetails development is limited by their licence agreement,so,no, confused?,, not really.

I take my hat off to all those developers, freeware & payware that make our hobby so interesting.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Go SE, 

per-SE, the only way to Go!

Now, being serious, all I can say is that I am above all enjoying the stability and smoothness of SE. I do not plan to install Golden again, and I would have to do it through GFWL ( which I don't really know if it's still available ? ), but since every add-on I had for FSX ( just waiting the PMDG NGX right now ) work beautifully, including ASN, in beta but working great!, there really is no good reason for me to install a version of FSX compiled in 2006 .... as opposed to something assembled with modern platforms....

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

My only question for the OP would be:

Did you have problems with FSX before the new computer build? If not, then I see no reason why you need to fork out the extra money for the Steam Edition.

Jaime Boyle

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

pilotbanner.jpg

My only question for the OP would be:

Did you have problems with FSX before the new computer build? If not, then I see no reason why you need to fork out the extra money for the Steam Edition.

Exactly.

SE doesn't provide any benefit at the moment if are problem-free. If you are having VAS troubles, SE is the way to go. Be warned: There is a nasty CTD that hits me when I fly beyond the 4 1/2 hour mark in SE.

There is a nasty CTD that hits me when I fly beyond the 4 1/2 hour mark in SE.

I've recently just installed SE myself because I was having VAS troubles. I have not had a chance to properly test it out yet on a long flight so I have not encountered this yet. Is this the 'terrain.dll' crash?

Jaime Boyle

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

pilotbanner.jpg

I've recently just installed SE myself because I was having VAS troubles. I have not had a chance to properly test it out yet on a long flight so I have not encountered this yet. Is this the 'terrain.dll' crash?

VAS crashes occur when the simulator has used up its memory address space, gets really sluggish, and then capitulates to the desktop.

The terrain.dll crash is much more random, and can happen at any point really. Hard to nail down what is causing it, but people have reported DTG is working to solve it.

I would say, stick with the boxed version personally. I bought FSX-SE as a more convenient way to use and maintain this sim - my primary sim being P3Dv2 - and maybe use it as a base for hosting my UK photoscenery, and use P3D for a full FTX world, thus avoid conflicts. However it seems I cannot use my Horizon scenery, as I get library errors, which renders it useless for that purpose with little prospect for a fix, unless anyone knows otherwise? I also cannot get FSWC to work, which is a shame as I used it a lot with my old FSX install.

This is just two incompatibilities, but there may be others, whereas FSX Boxed works with everything, and for this reason I would stick with this version. There may be some improvements with FSX SE but in terms of performance I have seen no change that I can measure, and as I never suffered OOM's I've gained nothing from any tweaks DTG have made in this regard... I've just lost, unfortunately.

I will be returning to my boxed copy when I can be bothered to get up in the loft to find the disks.