Sign in to follow this  

Magenta lines into NAV after landing runway ( vectors )

Hi,

a question please, yesterday I flown the very same route with 737 NGX first and with 777 then, both with latest SP.

After activating and executing a certain specific STAR into the 737 NGX FMC I see that the stuff after the landing runway ( into the NAV screen ) is represented by a light blue dotted line, this way that's easy to distinguish such " vectors " from the route.

I have to say that this light blue dotted line is not the missed approach but a never ending straight dotted line...dunno what's that...

The very same route activated and executed into the 777 FMC outputs the same results apart the fact that the very same lines after the landing runway is colored in magenta and it is a continuous line, always a never ending line. ( that seems to happen for all the airports I tested, 4 ) 

1) Is there a way to have it light blue colored and dotted like the NGX 737 ? 

2) Everybody knows that within the T7 in the final phases you have to set the speed manually while the VNAV of the 737 NGX does it by itself like a charm, which is the reason behind the fact that you have to do it manually into the 777 ?

3) How do you usually enter long routes into the FMC ? I mean routes where you have dozens of waypoints, is the Co route an option ? Assuming to have a proper .rte file ready to be loaded and without SID and STARS.

Thanks

1) Is there a way to have it light blue colored and dotted like the NGX 737 ? 

The 777 is not the NGX.

2) Everybody knows that within the T7 in the final phases you have to set the speed manually while the VNAV of the 737 NGX does it by itself like a charm, which is the reason behind the fact that you have to do it manually into the 777 ?

The 777 and 737 were developed by Boeing at different times.

3) How do you usually enter long routes into the FMC ? I mean routes where you have dozens of waypoints, is the Co route an option ? Assuming to have a proper .rte file ready to be loaded and without SID and STARS.

Have a look at the intro manual about route loading. There are several options. This is also shown in Tutorial #1.5.

As far as entering long routes by hand, there are a few shortcuts. One is that you only need to enter the airways (I believe this is shown in one of the NGX tutorials, along with the 777 tutorial). Moreover, any part of the route that is written like LIT J14 VUZ J14 ATL J14 SPA J14 CREWE, you can shorten that to LIT J14 CREWE.

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks for spending time for the answers, much appreciated.

1) so you confirm me that there is no option to activate the same " light blue " line in the 777 and that's correct as it is ? 

2) I know that, but the FMC software can be updated.I was just wondering the tech reason behind that, in T7 the VNAV descent ( via Vertical speed etc ) seems to drain much more attention/workload, above all in busy landings. I think it is not logical but Boeing must have some sort of reason....maybe Boeing doesn't trust its own VNAV algorithm working into a fat boy ?   :P

3) Thanks, I'll follow your suggestions !

Thanks for spending time for the answers, much appreciated.

1) so you confirm me that there is no option to activate the same " light blue " line in the 777 and that's correct as it is ?

2) I know that, but the FMC software can be updated.I was just wondering the tech reason behind that, in T7 the VNAV descent ( via Vertical speed etc ) seems to drain much more attention/workload, above all in busy landings. I think it is not logical but Boeing must have some sort of reason....maybe Boeing doesn't trust its own VNAV algorithm working into a fat boy ? :P

1) No there is no option. That is how it is on the real 777.

2) This is more a question for Boeing themselves than PMDG. That is how it is on the real 777, so that is how it's simulated. I'm sure the engineers and designers at Boeing had their reasons for why it is this way.

Correct. You can verify this with the FCOM. Different plane. Different display methodology.

2) I know that, but the FMC software can be updated.I was just wondering the tech reason behind that, in T7 the VNAV descent ( via Vertical speed etc ) seems to drain much more attention/workload, above all in busy landings. I think it is not logical but Boeing must have some sort of reason....maybe Boeing doesn't trust its own VNAV algorithm working into a fat boy ?  

This doesn't really have as much to do with VNAV as it does with speed management in general. I don't like the AP messing with my speed too much, which the NG does a whole bunch of. I'd chalk it up to the planes being designed at different times with different mindsets.

As far as "upgrading" goes. it's generally frowned upon to drastically change things in a familiar environment. Human factors issues really come into play there.

Welcome!

Kyle Rodgers