Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Why hasn't ORBX created a Global Texture set for FS9?

Ok..I don't get this at all...if someone out there (Russian fellow) transposed them for FS9, why in the world, would not ORBX offer a 'from-0RBX/sanctioned' Global product for FS9. Obviously, this can be done....for it has been, via an un-official channel.

So...I'd buy it....and for them, would be another revenue stream.  They only have to convert...and not create...

My thoughts...

Ses

Hi Mitch. First off didn't you just move from FSX to P3D v2+, then why would you want to move back to FS9?.

While I never even considered it, it doesn't take much of a genius to think about using Global textures in FS9, and it's not the complicated to make the shift.  But again, why would I care.  I have FS9 of course and it hasn't had the dust blown off it in years, I'm not sure why I even keep space for it on my HD.

Just saying.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Hi Mitch. First off didn't you just move from FSX to P3D v2+, then why would you want to move back to FS9?.

While I never even considered it, it doesn't take much of a genius to think about using Global textures in FS9, and it's not the complicated to make the shift.  But again, why would I care.  I have FS9 of course and it hasn't had the dust blown off it in years, I'm not sure why I even keep space for it on my HD.

Just saying.

Hi Bryan....truly...just installed both UT (USA and Canada/Alaska) and am having a ball.  Bryan, I fly them all....and never retired FS9 , ever. In fact..it is the one I fire up specifically for Tube Ops.  I just landed in Halifax...with the UT 3D night lighting...and as I said on a post a few moments ago...I should have purchased UT for FS9, in 2005...and been enjoying it.  Having said that, I would love to see a legitimate ORBX-released version of its GLOBAL product for FS9.   Bryan...you can't beat FS9, as for smooth animation and performance, if any other sim is put up against it.  I'm not going to compare the feature-by-feature of any other sim, (and its draw upon resources...for we all know that they do...) against FS9, but merely to say that as FS9 is...and when decked out by any 3rd P developed for it...you dial in 'x' fps...and you stay there...for the entire session.  I spent this morning reading over at Scenery Solution's forum...about UT...and smiled as some of the posts from 2005, stated that it brought down the FPS if being used with a complicated flight deck.  Yeppers..times have changed, since then...and any system today will keep your FPS at what you choose....no matter WHAT you have going on in the 'pit.  So...that's the deal.  FS9 lives for Tubes...and now looks even better with my finally adding UT products to it.  The night light treatment...is worth the $$$'s dropped.  If I go EVO...I might have some dust collecting on FSX/P3D, lol.   You know?   LOL.  The dust bunny, of course is always laying nearby....to get back to them.  :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Mitch

doesn't fs9 have the vibrating water textures which can't be fixed with REX or Zinertech textures, I always hated the water textures in fs9.  I also own fsx, p3dv1, p3dv2, xp10, fsxse, etc but hell no, would never go back to fs9 or even spend money on it.

doesn't fs9 have the vibrating water textures which can't be fixed with REX or Zinertech textures, I always hated the water textures in fs9.  I also own fsx, p3dv1, p3dv2, xp10, fsxse, etc but hell no, would never go back to fs9 or even spend money on it.

No pulsating water...and Zinertech (wrong sp?) took care of that. Now looks pretty good. :)

I also own fsx, p3dv1, p3dv2, xp10, fsxse, etc but hell no, would never go back to fs9 or even spend money on it.

The OP's post is not asking people's views on whether anyone should still use FS9 - it's asking for clarifications (if anyone has them) as to why FTX Textures and products aren't (or have not officially been made) usable in FS9.

It's a good point Mitch, because if Orbx Textures were available in FS9, I'd use it (despite not having had it installed for over 4 years) purely to run the iFly 747 and a couple of other complex airliners, with maximum performance and settings.

The OP's post is not asking people's views on whether anyone should still use FS9 - it's asking for clarifications (if anyone has them) as to why FTX Textures and products aren't (or have not officially been made) usable in FS9.

It's a good point Mitch, because if Orbx Textures were available in FS9, I'd use it (despite not having had it installed for over 4 years) purely to run the iFly 747 and a couple of other complex airliners, with maximum performance and settings.

There are landclass issues to sort out, terrain.dll modifications that are needed but probably not overly impossible.  I can't see why Orbx would put resources (time, energy, money) towards a FS9 version when the flight sim world has clearly moved on. While it may be an interesting idea it is not a money maker. As mentioned at the start it appears as if someone has attempted this on their own, I don't know about this but from my technical understanding it might be possible if someone cares to venture into this on their own I suppose.

Near CAM3

There are landclass issues to sort out, terrain.dll modifications that are needed but probably not overly impossible.  I can't see why Orbx would put resources (time, energy, money) towards a FS9 version when the flight sim world has clearly moved on. While it may be an interesting idea it is not a money maker. As mentioned at the start it appears as if someone has attempted this on their own, I don't know about this but from my technical understanding it might be possible if someone cares to venture into this on their own I suppose.

Bryan...I have every flight sim beyond the RTM date of FS9.  I use them all, depending on my mood and taste-of-the-day.  I still very much use, and enjoy FS9, for the very reason that it is light on system resources for modern equipment, gives great performance because of such, and I'd love to see the same ORBX Global textures below me, as I do within FSX.  That would be killer!!!!!    If that fellow from Russia, could convert them, and be running with them...how easily could the very artists behind the true FSX version....crank out a version for those that still wish to fly FS9, or wish to have FS9 as their only, or 'favored' sim to fly.  I haven't 'moved on'...and never will.  FS9 will always be on my system, (for my use...Big Iron and long haul/procedures) and again....John V.    please...please consider putting out an FS9 version of GLOBAL WORLD TEXTURES for this platform.  Man...you would have instant sales galore!   Some that would be out in the open upon the forums...and some that would be still wanting to be (LOL) purchased 'in the closet'.....lol.    I bet there are still many users that fire up FS9....who are very active forum members of both FSX (MS and SE) , P3D(x) and finally XPX.... and for any of their reasons...do not communicate such, to vary forums.  They would be the 'closet purchases'....(said with a smile and a wink!).

Cheers,

Mitch

------------------------------------

Morning, Craig!   There you go....John V has two sales right in his pocket...and I suspect..there would be at least 500 (being severely conservative) (or more) across the hobby, if they did put one out.  Honestly, I can't understand this, unless the devs WANT people to tank and retire that platform...and officially supporting it, would contradict that.  There are users that have older systems, that have older notebooks, and who want (while upon the road) to wish to enjoy flight simming until getting home to a more powerful system, blah, blah.  They would certainly be much interested...and DROP THE COIN....on an FS9 release.  Times are tough...people are being careful about what they spend money upon, but an ORBX Global release for FS9, would not be one where there would be an over-wringing of hands.  In being curious of how Global looks within FS9...(and it looks fabulous!)...I trailed from the youtube video of such, right back to the torrents, to see how many had downloaded it already.  Anybody else just has to do that...to see the number of persons that ARE VERY MUCH wanting those very texture sets into their FS9 installation.  For myself...I believe in proper channels...and did not partake. Want I DO WANT...is Global in my FS9...but by ORBX themselves...and to be supported by the same.  C'mon John...this can't be a hard thing to bring to market...and if reading...ask you to consider...as this is already out there 'in the wild'....and thereby..has proven, it can be with conversion, sent to FS9 (FS2004).

Regards,

Mitch and Craig...and a ton of other legitimate users and purchasers of FTX products!

Hey Mitch, why don't you propose this idea over at Orbx in their hanger chat or somewhere appropriate.

Remember that if they were to consider a Global experience for FS9 that they would be obligated to provide support, and I can just imagine how burdensome that might be.  Old platform, tons of older addons and their compatibilities.

Nothing ventured nothing gained.

cheer

Bryan

Near CAM3

I'm one of those people, that instantly realized just how much better FSX was at displaying textures/resolution over FS9. I remember all of the arguments about FS9 versus FSX back in those long gone days. I did keep FS9 on my last computer because of certain planes and scenery.  Never the less, there are no pics in this thread to convince me otherwise. FSX still just out does FS9!  I'm now running ORBX FTX in glorius high fidelity FSX with a lot of super high frame rates and smoothness. Can't see myself having much want for a ORBX FS9 edition.

Put me down for Global texture set for FS9.  I still have it and use it quite frequently when I want to 'retro' and go back to the 60s during the transition from DC-7s to B707s in California Classics sceneries for the era and Milton Shupe and company's Twin Beechs and Howards.  It reflects the aviation era I'm familiar with.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

While I personally would like to see Global Textures for FS9 you have to consider the business model.

John already has a huge customer base for Orbx FSX products.  People are wanting more full FAT regions for their favorite parts of the world.  He is working on SoCal and Vector for North America right now.  He is beginning full Fat Germany.

There is only so much he and his staff can do.

Now you are looking at a much smaller customer base wanting something for FS9.  What is he supposed to put on the back burner to do that?

And if I were John I would be looking at a Global textures for FS9 a camel's nose under the tent.  Would the FS9 customers be satisfied with that?  Or would they now want Vector for FS9 too?  And if they got that then why not ask for conversions of the full FAT regions also?

One of the worst things a business can do is grow too fast or take on more than they can reasonably accomplish with the existing staff.

Yes, Global for FS9 would be nice.  But practically speaking it would probably be just one arm of a growing octopus.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Well articulated Noel. 

From a business perspective it just doesn't make sense to sink new resources into a shrinking market, particularly for a company already spread thin enough that they're still working at porting their back catalog of FSX products into the growing market they've committed to as the future (P3D). 

Successful companies stay focused.  There's a huge difference between someone managed to make it work and a fully supported product, and a monumental difference between it could be done and it should be done.  This isn't a matter of free money they're leaving on the table - if they thought FS9 was a viable platform for them they would've offered products for it long ago.  I'm sure that ROI calculation was made years ago.

Scott