Sign in to follow this  
Drumcode

I've had it with FSX, I think it's time for P3D

Hi guys,

I wasn't able to complete a single flight recently, OOM's all over the place with different types of aircraft, I've had it with FSX and I'm ready to move on. Never really cared for P3D so I am totally out of the loop on the steps I need to take to fully convert. Are there any essential tools or a conversion checklist that's available out there or do I have to spend hours of reading the message boards?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

I'm thinking of taking the plunge too, Especially with the PMDG 777 out for P3D now.

spacer.png

MSI Codex 5 10SC-262UK Desktop PC - Intel Core i7-10700, RTX 2060 Graphics, 16GB RAM, 2TB HDD, 256GB SSD.

You can still get OOM's in P3D as well so it is no "holey grail".  Just need to balance your settings and enjoy the ride.  I would suggest spending several hours going through the forums to catch up on P3D .  Lot's of good stuff out there to read and get you up to speed.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Im thinking of the gains like cloud shadows,HDR, eventual 64bit .exe, ....Does SweetFX work in P3D.?? I mean my FSX is actually running better than ever but want to move to a sim thats being constantly updated, and with the 777 out, now seems to be the best time...is there like a conversion tool for all Addon sceneries?

spacer.png

MSI Codex 5 10SC-262UK Desktop PC - Intel Core i7-10700, RTX 2060 Graphics, 16GB RAM, 2TB HDD, 256GB SSD.

It is great that new folks are making the decision to move to Prepar3D. If I were you, I would wait just a few days til Version 2.5 is ready for download. This version will require a fresh install as their are many changes coming. Welcome to the Dark Side and enjoy.

Hi guys,

I wasn't able to complete a single flight recently, OOM's all over the place with different types of aircraft, I've had it with FSX and I'm ready to move on. Never really cared for P3D so I am totally out of the loop on the steps I need to take to fully convert. Are there any essential tools or a conversion checklist that's available out there or do I have to spend hours of reading the message boards?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to P3D. There is not really a conversion process. It just involves installing P3D. You will find that their is not a lot of tweaks and all that crap to deal with. As you read the forums pay attention to posts and advice by Rob A. He is a Mod here as well as Beta tester for P3D and a Mod on the official P3D site. He is a great asset to the community and has the ear of the developers of P3D. Personally, I only use addons for acft and scenery that are made for P3D and not use a lot of "conversion" tools. I seem to now have a lot of issues that are reported. I think a clean install with a clean computer is very important but YMMV.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Welcome aboard for your flight today... Sorry couldn't resist. Basically what has been said above ^ to be fair, if your familiar with the FSX folder structure you'll be at home with P3D. You may need to re- download some new installers for some of your stuff like ORBX which give you the ability to select which version of the software you wish to install into which sim, so check with each developer first. Just like FSX you'll need to familiarise yourself with what works for your machine but their really is no reason to have to go digging Into the P3D.cfg file every 10 min. In fact, theirs really not much to tweak. If you get stuck on something then you always have these amazing forums to fall back on. So, my advice would be to simply follow your nose and you'll find its all quite familiar.

You need Estonia migration tool - number 1 purchase after P3D unless you do not want to use all of your payware that does not have P3D installers - you will have to wait a little bit for a new Estonia version once P3D  2.5 is out but usually less than 5 days - a lot of payware will not install without it 

Rich Sennett

yes the migrator is a must if you want to move out of FSX. As others said, you need to find the right balance of settings for your system to stay away from OOM. I just completed a 17hrs flight on the T7 with payware airports on each end, no OOM, (look @ Rob's setting for starter)

The only reason I still have FSX on my system is in anticipation to the FSLabs A320... if it works on P3D, FSX and I are done :)

John

The grass isn't greener over here... just different.

I use all three sims.... FSX,  P3d, XP10....  

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

The grass is definitely greener!

I agree with that. I rarely fly FSX because P3D performs and looks better.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

It doesn't for me. I hear people saying it does but I still get far more Fps in FSX with p3d comparable settings

It doesn't for me. I hear people saying it does but I still get far more Fps in FSX with p3d comparable settings

Just last night I had an OOM flying Orbx PNW

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

People forget they spent years tweaking their FSX to the perfect balance. Do they really expect P3D to be better right out of the box without any tweak ?

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

People forget they spent years tweaking their FSX to the perfect balance. Do they really expect P3D to be better right out of the box without any tweak ?

YES.... and not only expect... it is.

Nah, I'm done and sick of tweaking this thing. Thanks for the heads up. Will the migration tool port over Radar Contact? I can't switch to P3D if RC isn't working in it.

I'm going to wait until 2.5 is out and until the migration tool is updated and then go ahead with the switch.

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |