Sign in to follow this  
ahmed.alnoman

B777 Frame rates on P3D

Well grabbed the plane last night (just the base version) and on my GTX970 I am honestly getting no better FPS than I do on the FSX version. Outside around 25fps and around 20 in the VC. Yes I have a lot of bars at max like I do on the FSX version so a little disappointed.

Barry Hicks

You need to be smart on what you enable to max or not. What will give you the best bang of the buck. Per example. I am only using 2xMSAA because I can enable MFAA in the Nvidia panel and I get the same effect as 4xMSAA but at the cost of 2xMSAA. I only use 2048x2048 texture.  I get smart about what object shadow I turn on, cloud distance, etc...I think Rob in the P3D forum section has given screenshot of all his setup and I kinda follow that but tweak it for my own. I also tweak the prepar3d.cfg to get better usage of my CPU core.

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

I'm getting a smooth 25 to 35 FPS in the VC depending on the airport and since I use 4x SGSS via NI it depends a lot on the weather.  SGSS has a much bigger impact in P3D than it does in FSX, especially with any cloud cover.  Performance is actually much better than I was expecting given the size and complexity and it is smooth, no stutters.  I thought for sure I was going to have to reduce SGSS to 2x or even turn it off.  VAS consumption is my only concern at this point.  I seem to have a VAS leak somewhere that I didn't have before so I need to isolate and eliminate that now.  I sure haven't had to worry about VAS before in P3D until I installed this bad boy.

Ryan

Overclock is still necessary in my case. CPU is still bottleneck in p3d as in fsx before.. Guess p3d have to still resolve this issue.. I am running my i5 3570k on 4.4 and is much better... Cause I like complexity and also visuals.. :) Without overclock is just killing my frames.CPU is working on 100% and my old 660ti not even on 60% so until p3d will use all cpu resources we have to trade performance vs visuals..

on my GTX970 I am honestly getting no better FPS than I do on the FSX version. Outside around 25fps and around 20 in the VC.

A GTX970 is a quite performant beast...

It was no wonder for me anymore that throwing heavy GPUs against FSX legacy code did not make much sense anymore. CPU power counted most...

But what actually makes me angry is that also in P3D v2.x brilliant GPU power doesn't seem to promise excellent results.

But and BTW the VC view framedrops for the T7 actually must be caused by CPU "overload" or respectively "bottleneck-I-don't-know-what" problems:

outside views (eye candy) accelerated, cockpit views slowed down?

(I am dreaming of a turnkey system right now with a toll free number which I can call when the machine is not running at a reasonable pace...)

EDIT:

Overclock is still necessary in my case. CPU is still bottleneck in p3d as in fsx before.. Guess p3d have to still resolve this issue.. I am running my i5 3570k on 4.4 and is much better... Cause I like complexity and also visuals.. :) Without overclock is just killing my frames.CPU is working on 100% and my old 660ti not even on 60% so until p3d will use all cpu resources we have to trade performance vs visuals..

exactly this!

Edited by vr-pilot

Try unlocking your frame rate.  Also, P3D behaves very different from FSX with many tweaks we're used to. Be sure to apply the recommended tweaks provided by LM in a link provided in the Introduction document.  Try starting with a clean board, no changes to the default cfg and NI settings then make changes slowly.

I get consistent 25+ fps in the VC except at Aerosoft's Heathrow, and that's the only exception. All FSDT, FlightBeam ect. airports are fine.  I'll reserve comment on Aerosoft for now.

Dan Downs KCRP

I am dreaming p3d will add better management of cpu.. Otherwise to get system which can run everything max will cost me more then actual Flight simulator which pilots use to practice.. :lol:

Dan nailed it fps unlimited on heavy birds - lock fps on less demanding birds from what I have noticed

Rich Sennett

I'm curious, what does unlocking your frame rate do vs locking other than the obvious and why would you lock for some add-ons and not for others?

Edit: I tried unlimited FPS with the T7 at TJSJ and am now getting over 40fps where I was lucky to get 25 before. Any info as to why this happened would be greatly appreciated.

I am dreaming p3d will add better management of cpu.. Otherwise to get system which can run everything max will cost me more then actual Flight simulator which pilots use to practice.. :lol:

This is an limitation with Windows and DirectX 11. Only 1 cpu core can talk to 1 GPU core simultaneously . So it happens often that you core 1 is assign to talk to the GPU and its waiting for some cycle clock from the GPU. DirectX 12 will help alleviate this problem by allow true multithreading from a DirectX perspective. 

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

:lol:  And I read "somewhere" that actually this "combo" is meant to be used as a "reasonable price simulator".  BUT JOKE APART: at the end of the day this is what it's all about... 

Mentioning minimum or recommended system specifications is obviously not the best way to reach a widespread level of satisfactory results. Here something has to be done by both parties involved: something that "does do the trick". Straight, without detours and without waste of time. Some kind of setup guideline including what to expect at which level.

Otherwise quite some disappointed expectations (frustrations) will exist among a number of users not being in the lucky position of fortunately doing everything right...

VAS consumption is my only concern at this point. I seem to have a VAS leak somewhere that I didn't have before so I need to isolate and eliminate that now. I sure haven't had to worry about VAS before in P3D until I installed this bad boy.

The VAS damocles sword... That will be the 64-bit promise's burden... good luck! :unsure:

What shall we do every time the sim crashes before the simulated plane actually did?

(But IMO going 64-bit should really avoid OOMs soon)

EDIT:

This is an limitation with Windows and DirectX 11. Only 1 cpu core can talk to 1 GPU core simultaneously . So it happens often that you core 1 is assign to talk to the GPU and its waiting for some cycle clock from the GPU. DirectX 12 will help alleviate this problem by allow true multithreading from a DirectX perspective. 

Wow! Thanks! This sounds like an amazing future!

(I'm a believer! B)  )

multithreaded DX12 + 64bit ... it never stops

C'mon that rocks  :p0502:

Edited by vr-pilot

I'm curious, what does unlocking your frame rate do vs locking other than the obvious and why would you lock for some add-ons and not for others?

In P3D I noticed a stuttering while spot plane panning if you follow my rule that fixes it although lately unlimited has worked for most but I dont have a bunch of payware aircraft loaded at the moment

Rich Sennett

Nicely set vr-pilot.. Until then we have to stick to what we have and what is possible.. :rolleyes:

I hope when 64 bit comes all these 'problems' will be a thing of the past! Thanks to LM a 64 bit flight simulator is going to be a thing very soon! Yes I know X-Plane is x64, but I never could get used to X-Plane, it just doesn't feel right IMO. 

You need to be smart on what you enable to max or not. What will give you the best bang of the buck. Per example. I am only using 2xMSAA because I can enable MFAA in the Nvidia panel and I get the same effect as 4xMSAA but at the cost of 2xMSAA. I only use 2048x2048 texture.  I get smart about what object shadow I turn on, cloud distance, etc...I think Rob in the P3D forum section has given screenshot of all his setup and I kinda follow that but tweak it for my own. I also tweak the prepar3d.cfg to get better usage of my CPU core.

Hi Claude,

I use the 2048x2048 textures already and even dropped them to the 1024x1024 and that made no difference tbh. I will try the Nvidia panel tweak to see how that goes after work. I also tweaked shadows (turning most off) and again no really difference. 

Have tweaked the .cfg as well but there might be newer stuff around so again will check tonight after work.

Cheers

Barry Hicks

From EGFF to YSSY