Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

Problem with PHJR in FS9

Hi,

As I approach PHNL from the west, I notice that PHJR has its runways half in the water. This has been noted before, for instance, here:

http://www.simforums.com/forums/problem-with-phjr_topic17793.html

Does anyone have the fix by Meshman, or another solution? Will ADE9x move the whole airport inland? Although I have the ADE programme and use it for various tweaks, i can't see how to use it to move a whole airport, (but I'll keep investigating the help file meanwhile)....

I have Ultimate Terrain and FSGenesis mesh installed, by the way.

Many thanks,

Martin

PM me with your email address and I will send you the scenery fix I have. No idea where I got, probably from some link off a forum years ago. it has some oil storage tanks on the west side of the airport, which looks like a default scenery. Nothing elegant, but no runway in the water.

Hi again. The airport is now wholly on land - but there are lots of buildings on the runway and blocking the aprons. Also storage tanks and a lighthouse offshore. I have edited the AFCAD and all this is now cleared. I doubt I'll ever land at PHJR - it's just so it doesn't look so weird as I fly past heading in to PHNL!

If anyone has the same problems and wants the AFCAD (would need Meshman's fix which Steve kindly forwarded, I imagine), let me know via a PM and I can send it. But maybe the problem with the buildings etc. is something unique to my FS9 setup...

A couple of suggestions. Look for an old afcad. If none, then try moving the afcad from the PHJR scenery folder and put into the AFCAD scenery folder. I am pretty sure those misplaced bldgs are from the default scenery.

I'll put together a conversion of George Keogh's FSX version tonight for you. I think it will for the bill... But you can't distribute it publicly...

That would be great! Is it easily done? I started to download George's scenery, but saw as it began it is for FSX! No, I wouldn't distribute it of course...

As it is, PHJR looks OK with my adapted AFCAD - the buildings were from the default airport, yes. But further improvements are very welcome!

M.

That would be great! Is it easily done? I started to download George's scenery, but saw as it began it is for FSX! No, I wouldn't distribute it of course...

I've just finished the autogen on the new phototerrain backing for it and am testing the conversion in sim as I write. I'll let you know soon how it looks as a stand-alone scenery without all the other FSX library conversion I've done.

Tested - appears the ground-poly is excluding autogen - testing again without the ground-poly.

What other FSX to FS9 conversions have you done? I try occasionally, with mixed success. Like many, I have FSX but after years of addon purchases, plus performance, I much prefer to fly FS9. I really only fly FSX for special VFR GA flights, like for Aerosoft's Antartica and so on...

What other FSX to FS9 conversions have you done? I try occasionally, with mixed success. Like many, I have FSX but after years of addon purchases, plus performance, I much prefer to fly FS9. I really only fly FSX for special VFR GA flights, like for Aerosoft's Antartica and so on...

Well, I've done all the freeware ORBX airports (save the Germany ones, since they use a different object placement method that doesn't convert as well.) I've done many of the Keogh airports in Ireland and Hawaii, and some from FlightPort.de... and there's a few other miscellaneous airports I've done. I've got a few hundred more ORBX airports from the regions I bought this last christmas still to go, though...

Got the groundpoly issue sorted - I'll simply not include it, since it looks OK without it. Still working on some random buildings which are not being excluded properly.

Without the default FSX libraries, you won't get all the trees or the cars, but overall, it's the same scenery with and without the FSX libraries. But if you've attempted conversions before, you've probably got them converted already, so it will look even better than what I'm seeing right now as I test the thing without them.

facing some oddly ineradicable oiltank objects, but nothing off-shore to mess up your scenery - that issue, at least, is fixed. It's just that there are some double-objects inland that I haven't yet gotten rid of.

fixed the double objects, finally. Now tracing some more autogen issues.

calling it done.Remember, the original scenery is not my work AND for best results, you're going to have to do some conversion of your own to get the supporting libraries from FSX.

This ought to fix your issues with PHJR once and for all, though. Just remember to keep this scenery ABOVE all other Hawaii sceneries in your scenery library.

This conversion is done for my own enjoyment and is not for public distribution in any form. All credit goes to George Keogh, who does excellent work. I may share it with martinlest2, since by now I've pretty much made it certain that I'm expected to, but it must be remembered that this is a personal conversion and is NOT, therefore, without Georges approval, which he has not given me, for public distribution. I'm not intending on messaging him for approval either, since I have never planned on redistributing any of my conversions! If one of you want to ask him on my behalf, be my guest. The copyright issues involved with distributing converted work are just too potentially thorny for me to even want to try to go there. Nevertheless, PM me if you're interested, but you really had ought to figure out how to convert it for yourself.

Thanks for the information. To be honest. with my AFCAD PHJR looks clear and there are no runways/taxiways or objects in the water. I only ever fly past landing at PHNL, so I am fine.

Does George's airport add a lot of nice detail though? Any chance you could post a few screenshots, when you have a moment?

I have tried converting FSX airports to FS9 - just ones that have been made for FSX and I am sorely missing in FS9. I can convert bmps to dds files, though I am not sure if that is necessary. But converting the bgl files never works. I get an empty airport. Is there a tutorial somewhere? From the scenery design forum I had understood that such a bgl conversion was not really possible (or perhaps my memory serves me false there).. How do I learn how to do it then?

Thanks again

Does George's airport add a lot of nice detail though? Any chance you could post a few screenshots, when you have a moment?

From the scenery design forum I had understood that such a bgl conversion was not really possible (or perhaps my memory serves me false there).. How do I learn how to do it then?

George's version adds custom buildings, plenty of objects, and photoscenery. Not all of this converts... Some FSX scenery elements cannot be converted. These include photoscenery, landclass, vector scenery, and some super detailed models. I create new photoscenery and new vectors for my conversions to make them work right, since the FSX versions don't convert.

On the other hand, airports and most models do convert. There's really two programs to use for conversion: ModelConverterX and FSX2FS9. I also use SBuilder, AirportDesignerEditor (ADE9), AGeNt, and FSEarthTiles to create new supporting files to replace that which won't convert.

I may post some screenshots this evening, but I don't have a photo hosting account anywhere, so that might be difficult.

Well, don't worry about the screenshots if it will be time consuming -we used to be able to attach photos here in the forums.. I forgot.

I'd recommend MEGA upload, it's free and very easy.

https://mega.co.nz/

You could even upload your PHJR conversion there?? :-) I'd like to see it. My own AFCAD had taxiway markers littered about, including the sea, but I can't be bothered to fix this right now; you can't see them as you fly past. Who knows, with a nice rendition, I might even be tempted to land there one day! I seem to have spend a lot of hours so far on an airport where I never touch down!

M. :-)

Hi again,

Just to say thanks again - this works very well: I have the ORBX version active and it's a scenery worth flying into, rather than just past, now!

What do you do for the rest of the island (apart from PHNL)? That is PHDH, PHHI, PHNG, Ford Island... ? There are a couple of files in the AVSIM library, which I will download and test. Does George's scenery cover these well too? I am not alone I think in kind of 'regretting' the day FSX came out! (Well, not exactly, but you know what I mean!).

Martin