Sign in to follow this  
MartinFS

P3D+PMDG777+Oculus Rift DK2

Just tried yesterday after buying pmdg777 for p3d with oculus rift.. And guys..

I start up sim in OMDB Dubai intl. Airport on runway with engines running.Looking around the cockpit and is huge..I mean huge.. Checking buttons and gauges for a while just to see how readable are they.. Well not very much at this time cause of Oculus resolution,but Speed and altitude was somehow readable as the display with speed and altitude in 777 is quiet big..So lets take that baby for a nice ride around the airport and land back..Take off switch on the AP and just enjoying the view.. It is really impressive the scale of the cockpit,I felt like I am in real aircraft.. Heading back to runway for landing switching off the AP and landing manually..I really felt that landing.. It was amazing...

Is oculus a future of flight simulation? I will confidently say yes..

I heard that looking into the Oculus Rift for too long with low framerates (lower than 60) can cause headaches and dizziness? What's your experience?

Awesome stuff,

How does it feel when you change the views to like external. Do you feel like skydiver etc?

Wow, never thought about that, could be a very surreal feeling :D

Alaister Kay

As Froogle pointed out in one of his recent videos, the thing about Oculus is that it needs at least 60 fps on each eye, or you will feel sick... P3d and FSX don't give you this performance even with the most expensive hardware...

Well,you can't change the view so you are basically stack in the cockpit :-) to reach 60fps is impossible even with all sliders to the left.. If you want to do long haul with oculus you probably will feel sick at the moment,however I believe in time it will be possible to fly with it without problems.. And hopefully not to long.. :-) however as a test and first impression it's amazing.. I also fly dcs sim which have natural support for oculus and I can't imagine to fly without It.. Can't wait for this feature in p3d with full support..

I really felt that landing.. It was amazing...

Is oculus a future of flight simulation? I will confidently say yes..

B)  now that is cool!

Last year I had the chance to test an Oculus Rift DK?, "unfortunately" just on a warehouse simulation...

It nevertheless was a great impression but raised one big question to me:

what about accelerations/decelerations? Actually the known "sea sickness" phenomenon IMO derives from the total lack of according accelerations like a 6 DOF platform could induce... :wacko:

Can't wait for this feature in p3d with full support..

Same here! :(

This is the reason why I put my urgently needed hardware updates for P3D on hold.

Hopefully there will be some kind of hardware suggestion for 3D-vision enthusiasts...

Same here! :(

This is the reason why I put my urgently needed hardware updates for P3D on hold.

Hopefully there will be some kind of hardware suggestion for 3D-vision enthusiasts...

In case of such computer-power-hungry program like P3D I think now there is one answer: wait for a new generation of Intel processors and nVidia graphic cards... :/ Like 4K enthusiasts.

How about Microsoft Hololens =)

Yep, watched the video the other day after froogle mentioned it on his channel. Competition in this field will be great for flight summing over the next few years

Alaister Kay

How about Microsoft Hololens =)

Yep, watched the video the other day after froogle mentioned it on his channel. Competition in this field will be great for flight summing over the next few years

My opinion/expectation about MS HoloLens was good the morning I drove to work with my car hearing the announcement for the kick-off presentation that very day on the radio.

On my way back home my opinion had changed drastically as during the day it turned out that MS HoloLens' concept is to carry CPU, GPU and HPU (holographic processor unit) all around your head. :wacko:

IMO you will need e.g. a good bi-metallic isolation to protect your brain from being "low-temperature-cooked" over time, which will add even more weight... :ph34r:

A WLAN networked light weighted glasses version would have been a better approach IMO.

I like very much the idea of a bi-ocular real-world-shader/3D-blender.

What I don't like is that MS claims to be the inventor of the general idea...

:p0305:

The fake demo video was just a nice Cinema-4D-render-example and Adobe After-Effects-composite "finger exercise"...

Augmented reality is "real" already for a very long time now...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augmented_reality