Sign in to follow this  
walterg74

Tips regarding addon sales and resisting impulse buys?

Hi all!

So I've been doing a lot of reading on The forums, trying to find as much info as I can to make informed decisions regarding which addons to purchase (have a recently built relatively high-end PC).

I've quickly found out what a lot of you already knew: prettying up and expanding FSX can be costly...

So one one hand I don't want to wait forever to get the addons I like, but I would also like to avoid selling my house to get them :D

So I know there is bargains forum, and I already subscribed to it, but what I want to know, that those of you with lots of time simming will probably already know is:

Based on your experience in the recent years, how often (if ever) do the following addons/sellers go on sale?

- FTX Global / Vector / LC / Regions

- ASN Next

- REX products (TS, Clouds, etc)

- A2A Aircrafts, Accu Sim / Carenado Aircrafts

- Fly Tampa Airports (and any other really good quality ones you can recommend)

So far I have at one Store their "weekly 10% off" (plus another stackable code to bring it to 20%, but besides that store not selling ALL products, I'm interesed in yearly/seasonal/whatever sales that there may be on these and at being new to simming I'm not aware of.

Any help really appreciated!! :)

Almost all of them offer Christmas sales.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Almost all of them offer Christmas sales.

Of course it had to be christmas... What is it like, just almost a year away? :P

Worst part is I had all this stuff several months ago but only now do I have some time for the reading and installing etc... (Twilight zone deja vu...)

Any idea what the christmas discounts typically are?

SimMarket has a Valentines Day sale going in now. some stuff up to 40% off.

ORBX's Christmas sale was really good. I think it was 30% or 33% off everything, I put a hurtin' on that one.

What you could do if your interested in previous sales, take a look in the Bargain Hunter's Shack here on AVSIM and just go back to the thread dates in December and you'll get a good idea.

Is it done yet? When will it be released? Will it be freeware or payware? How much will it cost? Any updates on the progress? Will it work for Xbox? Can I be a beta tester? How's the performance in VR?

SimMarket has a Valentines Day sale going in now. some stuff up to 40% off.

Thanks, I actually just went to look but none of the ones I listed/want are on sale

ORBX's Christmas sale was really good. I think it was 30% or 33% off everything, I put a hurtin' on that one.

What you could do if your interested in previous sales, take a look in the Bargain Hunter's Shack here on AVSIM and just go back to the thread dates in December and you'll get a good idea.

I did see the OrbX one, just didn't go far enough back to see if it was a regular thing or a one-time deal (also a more than once a year would be nice, at least twice a year does not sound unreasonable..). In any case it's a good tip, I'll go look at older posts in that forum see what comes up.

Sometimes Aerosoft has sales on FlyTampa airports, not sure if I have ever seen ASN go on sale though.

FSDT has a running one time Facebook coupon you can use, if you look in their forum you can find the code.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Sometimes Aerosoft has sales on FlyTampa airports, not sure if I have ever seen ASN go on sale though.

FSDT has a running one time Facebook coupon you can use, if you look in their forum you can find the code.

Sweet all good info. I'll take a look, thanks.

So went to check it out, it's pretty good.. I mean, if you get more than one product, the second one onwards gets a 15% discount which stacks with the facebook coupon, for a grand total of almost 35% discount.

So what are the recommended products from them..? Some look good but some screenshots seem so-so..

So went to check it out, it's pretty good.. I mean, if you get more than one product, the second one onwards gets a 15% discount which stacks with the facebook coupon, for a grand total of almost 35% discount.

So what are the recommended products from them..? Some look good but some screenshots seem so-so..

That ends up being down to personal preference. What do you want. ORD might not be good if you want all the updates in conjunction with the airport's current layout. JFK V2 came out recently, that looks like a good one if you like flying around New York.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

I think about what I want then I put my CC in the paper shredder, wait for a new card. I then rethink what I want opposed to what I need. I then repeat the process and rethink it all again. By that time I can actually afford what ever it is that I fool myself into believing I need. Alas, by then it is no longer on sale or is out date, but at least my CC is not maxed out and that keeps the real boss of the house happy - she who must be obeyed and appeased. She understands FS9 like I understand the pain of child berth. In other words, I carefully weigh what I really need to enhance FS9 and what I would really like from FS9 and therefore what I am willing to sacrifice for the sake of real life priorities. When I finally really get wealthy ( still working on that ), I'll drag the topic back up and get back to you!

Regards to all,

You should decide pretty early on if your going to be a tubeliner/mega airport person or a GA VFR person and choose accordingly. In other words. tubeliner= FTX Global or VFR = Orbx regions + airports + global to fill in. I always look to companies that have dual ( now tripple with FSX:SE) installer options for their products. I don't mind paying a bit extra for a dual license but don't want to have to double down. Even if you don't use P3D now, ask yourself, will you in the future? 

Orbx, Flytampa, FSDT, Flightbeam  -  There are other good ones, but you can't go wrong with these for airports/scenery

A2A , Aerosoft, Realair, Majestic, Milviz  -  All offer good upgrade paths and have quality products.

This is my opinion though others may have a better take that fits your prefrences.

I have almost all of their airports and I like them all but KLAX,CYVR,PHNL and Geneva are my favorites

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

They have a free trial so you can try them all. The trial last 10 minutes, then if you restart FSX you get another 10 minutes. This way you can slew or fly around the airport and check it out prior to purchase. Also GSX works for free at all their airports.

I have them all except for the Hawaiian airports and that is only because I don't care to fly around or to/from Hawaii.

My faves are KDFW and KFLL since I use those two a lot in real life, but I also enjoy KLAX, KLAS, Zurich, and Geneva.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

That ends up being down to personal preference. What do you want. ORD might not be good if you want all the updates in conjunction with the airport's current layout. JFK V2 came out recently, that looks like a good one if you like flying around New York.

Yeah, I think I have to first thingk about what exactly I want :)

I guess what I'm looking for is feedback regarding the quality if the different products. Like, let's say more than ine company makes JFK for example. Is the one by these guys the best or is the one by the other company/ies better? And if they're the only ones that currently make airport "x", is it good enough or not worth it?

I think about what I want then I put my CC in the paper shredder, wait for a new card. I then rethink what I want opposed to what I need. I then repeat the process and rethink it all again. By that time I can actually afford what ever it is that I fool myself into believing I need. Alas, by then it is no longer on sale or is out date, but at least my CC is not maxed out and that keeps the real boss of the house happy - she who must be obeyed and appeased. She understands FS9 like I understand the pain of child berth. In other words, I carefully weigh what I really need to enhance FS9 and what I would really like from FS9 and therefore what I am willing to sacrifice for the sake of real life priorities. When I finally really get wealthy ( still working on that ), I'll drag the topic back up and get back to you!

Regards to all,

I hear ya.l can't say it's a bad strategy... :P

You should decide pretty early on if your going to be a tubeliner/mega airport person or a GA VFR person and choose accordingly. In other words. tubeliner= FTX Global or VFR = Orbx regions + airports + global to fill in. I always look to companies that have dual ( now tripple with FSX:SE) installer options for their products. I don't mind paying a bit extra for a dual license but don't want to have to double down. Even if you don't use P3D now, ask yourself, will you in the future? 

Orbx, Flytampa, FSDT, Flightbeam  -  There are other good ones, but you can't go wrong with these for airports/scenery

A2A , Aerosoft, Realair, Majestic, Milviz  -  All offer good upgrade paths and have quality products.

This is my opinion though others may have a better take that fits your prefrences.

I think for now it will be VFR..l it's what I like so far, and soecially because I am just now learning the basics of flying. Maybe later on I will give the big guys a try...

Now I'm also considering photoreal (and yes I know the differences and all it's pros and cons..)