Sign in to follow this  
davecat

REX Essentials +OverDrive and erratic winds aloft

Even with FSUIPC wind smoothing I am getting crazy changes in winds.  So bad that it is causing overspeed issues at times.  I have read about the TAT and OAT issues, but I am not having any problems with temperatures.  Just with winds changing direction quickly and erratically. 

Dave

I don't use REX weather so I'm not 100% sure. In ASN you can limit the rate at which winds change, is there any such option in REX?

Yeah, you're going to get that with REX's weather engine.

We (OVPA) did extensive testing and comparisons between REX and Active Sky (2012 and Next), and we settled on using REX's outstanding textures and Active Sky Next for weather (especially since we fly exclusively on VATSIM, and having accurate weather is very important..

We hope to be working with REX in the near future on a weather engine related project (they're awesome to work with), but for now it's Active Sky Next for us (at least for weather engine).

I sincerely hope you find this helpful.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Mr Hodges

Thanks for your response.  This is not the first time I have heard, REX textures + ASN weather engine.  I also fly 100% of the time on VATSIM.  So, I think I am headed in your direction.  On a recent flyin to JFK, loaded with traffic, my PMDG 737NGX was going from overspeed to stalling within minutes.  ATC noticed and even quizzed me if I was under control.  "No sir, REX is, I replied"! :)

Can you share the basic concept how to properly configure after I purchase ASN?  I run FSX.

Thanks Dave

Dave,

I would be happy to share with you the settings our group uses.

For REX:  Go to the REX Texture page and select Browse, then look for OVPA 02-2015. This will provide you with the textures we've found works best under all conditions you may encounter.

For ASN, you can download our settings HERE, plan place the file in the folder relocated on your computer at the following location:

C:\Users\[YOUR COMPUTER USER NAME]\AppData\Roaming\HiFi\ASNFSX\Options

I hope this helps.  It should at least provide you with a good place to start.

Drop by our voice sometime (info on the website) say hello, and maybe make a flight with us!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

For REX: Go to the REX Texture page and select Browse, then look for OVPA 02-2015. This will provide you with the textures we've found works best under all conditions you may encounter.

I would have liked to try your textures but unfortunately when I installed REX4 I did not save the textures from Rex Essentials. I still have the installer on an external hard drive ...