Sign in to follow this  
robbier

Anisotropic Filtering Setting Not Working

Hello,

I am having an issue with the Anisotropic filtering setting in XP10 and am wondering if anyone has a solution.  I have the anisotropic filtering setting set to 16x, but textures look extremely blurry when viewed from the side.  As an example, the side of the default C172 looks crisp and sharp when viewed straight on, but as I rotate the view towards the nose or tail, the textures become increasingly blurry.  Another example: When I am in the 3D cockpit on a runway, the runway textures look very blurry and not sharp at all.  If I look straight down in the external view, the runway textures are very crisp.  The anisotropic filtering setting is not doing anything at all for me.  It doesn't matter if I set it to 1x or 16x...it has no effect.  In my Nvidia control panel, I have Anisotropic filtering set to application controlled.

Thanks for any help,

Robert

I'm not sure if Anisotropic has any effect at all in XP...certainly no change in mine between 1x and 16x.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Same here, I don't notice any difference when setting it.

A little update: I was able to get Anisotropic filtering working by setting it directly in the Nvidia control panel.  I set it to 16x instead of application-controlled and now it is working in X-Plane.  If you have an Nvidia graphics card, try setting Anisotropic filtering directly in the Nvidia control panel to 16x and see if it works...the setting in X-Plane doesn't work for some reason (at least for myself and the above posters).

It might depend on your system.  I have a very fast CPU and a lot of RAM and VRAM and I have no issues with detail sharpness.  Admittedly, I don't do a lot of panning while flying, but I do on the ground to check for taxiways and runway incursions.  16X is a heavy load on many video cards.  I have my nVidia settings at default, by the way.

A little update: I was able to get Anisotropic filtering working by setting it directly in the Nvidia control panel.  I set it to 16x instead of application-controlled and now it is working in X-Plane.  If you have an Nvidia graphics card, try setting Anisotropic filtering directly in the Nvidia control panel to 16x and see if it works...the setting in X-Plane doesn't work for some reason (at least for myself and the above posters).

Are you using HDR?

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

For the uninitiated - Can somebody share "what to look for" to tell if AF is working or not?

What would look different/better?

Also - On HDR mode, I thought NVIDIA settings didn't do anything when in HDR mode?

Anisotropic filtering in effect "sharpens" detail as you look right or left from straight ahead view.  It does virtually nothing to what's directly in front of you, it just sharpens things to the sides.  It sort of like putting glasses on to correct peripheral vision, so a high AF setting is a load on your video card that you probably don't need in XP.  It's a matter of taste.  Just remember that the apparent sharpness of your scenery ahead of you is not affected by the AF setting which is what you may be seeing.  There is an excellent discussion of AF and AA on the ExtremeTech website.

http://tinyurl.com/lgfcmxx

What I'm doing on my system (high end) is based on suggestions from some of the hardware gurus here on avsim.  I have a GTX 970 with 4GB of VRAM and a very fast CPU.  I run 347.52 drivers (Win 8.1 64 bit) with XP 10.35r1.  My nVidia Global settings are all default and my nVidia Power Management setting for X-Plane is "High Performance."  In XP Renderings I have 4x SSAA+FXAA and anisotropic is 4x.  Even with this load, I have around 60fps on the ground with a Carenado single engine C210 at a custom airport and frequently over 100 fps in the air on a clear day with minimal clouds.  Clouds will bring that back to the 50's at times.  Even though I can push settings higher, I see little if any visible improvement, so why waste the framerates?