Sign in to follow this  
BamaKevin

A2A 172

I am looking into moving from Fsx to Prepar3d and am looking at what I may lose as far as aircraft. I have the Fsx version of the A2A 172 and noticed that they sale a P3D version. Can I use the Fsx version?

Kevin Humphryes

I am looking into moving from Fsx to Prepar3d and am looking at what I may lose as far as aircraft. I have the Fsx version of the A2A 172 and noticed that they sale a P3D version. Can I use the Fsx version?

No. You have to get the P3D version. Well worth it though.

I would contact them directly via PM. They may have a crossgrade special that is not advertised.

Sion

You'd be better off transferring the default 172 from FSX. It has a more realistic flight model, IMO.

U serious the default is better than the a2a172

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

If that was a question, I'm totally serious. I genuinely think the A2A 172 is atrocious, and I say that as a professional pilot of 1900 hours, ATPL, CPL(H), King Air type rating, close to 200 hours on 172's, and can land a real one to 3 inch accuracy laterally, and 10 feet fore/aft. Behaviour at slow speeds is totally wrong, especially in the flare with a crosswind, often stalls on takeoff when it shouldn't, way too much opposite aileron needed in turns, almost impossible to land mains first with full flaps, and don't like the flat screws on the panel and inadequate polygons in critical places either. Rip off price. Wish I could get a refund. Last A2A plane I will buy.

I personally like it compared to other fsx planes but i have not flown a c172 for a long time so i cant comment on its accuracy, i do agree with the aileron comment for sure

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

You'd be better off transferring the default 172 from FSX. It has a more realistic flight model, IMO.

I genuinely think the A2A 172 is atrocious, and I say that as a professional pilot of 1900 hours, ATPL.........

There is another (far better) option than "binning" the A2A C172, in favour of the MS default C172.

The other option (which I've done very successfuly) is to transplant the flight model from the RealAir C172 into the A2A 172.    I'll say up front that the RealAir 172 is a freeware FS9 aircraft - but it still has what a lot of people consider to be the best C172 handling characteristics, for FS.

You can download it here :-

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?FileName=ras172_fs9.zip

Then.... discard all of the components, apart from the .air file, and the aircraft.cfg.

You then have two options ;-

Easy Option

Simply rename the RealAir C172's .air file, to the name of the A2A 172's .air file, and copy (& overwrite) it into the A2A 172's folder.

Advanced Option

Do the above + also copy and overwrite all of the flight model related parameters from the RealAir C172's aircraft.cfg, into the A2A C172's aircraft.cfg.    (this will be engine values, etc, etc, but not things like contact points - you must retain the A2A values for these.

A2A will of course not provide support for this hybrid.

But.... I do share your opinion that the A2A C172 is mostly pretty miserable to fly - too much focus on 'numbers' and not enough of qualitative 'feel' ?    The above modification has transformed the A2A C172 for me, with RealAir's characteristic nice hand flying feel.   It's now one of my favourite GA aircraft again.

Make sure you are running the latest update here.  Something must be amiss.

almost impossible to land mains first with full flaps

Take a look at this video, from one of our forum members who is a CFI.  He demonstrates some good fundamental landing tips here:

Scott.

If that was a question, I'm totally serious. I genuinely think the A2A 172 is atrocious, and I say that as a professional pilot of 1900 hours, ATPL, CPL(H), King Air type rating, close to 200 hours on 172's, and can land a real one to 3 inch accuracy laterally, and 10 feet fore/aft. Behaviour at slow speeds is totally wrong, especially in the flare with a crosswind, often stalls on takeoff when it shouldn't, way too much opposite aileron needed in turns, almost impossible to land mains first with full flaps, and don't like the flat screws on the panel and inadequate polygons in critical places either. Rip off price. Wish I could get a refund. Last A2A plane I will buy.

When a no-name late adopter with just a handful of posts disagrees with Dudley Henriques, the A2A team, every reviewer and all the established posters in this forum, you will excuse me if I doubt you. 

Now, can you show us this self-stated accuracy? Love to see some videos of you landing on a dime. For the purposes of this topic, lets' call it three consecutive landings  to an accuracy of 12 feet longitudinally and six inches laterally. Plenty of margin there for hyperbole.

When a no-name late adopter with just a handful of posts disagrees with Dudley Henriques, the A2A team, every reviewer and all the established posters in this forum, you will excuse me if I doubt you. 

Now, can you show us this self-stated accuracy? Love to see some videos of you landing on a dime. For the purposes of this topic, lets' call it three consecutive landings  to an accuracy of 12 feet longitudinally and six inches laterally. Plenty of margin there for hyperbole.

What an arrogant post.  The guy had an opinion.  He's entitled to it.   I doubt much whether he cares whether you doubt it or not.  But calling someone a "no name late adopter with just a handful of posts" is out of line IMHO.   Quality of posting is not measured by the number of posts, as far as I can see.

For the record, I love A2A products - they're in the top drawer.   But rhd75 isn't the first person to note that that the 172 flight dynamics feel a little odd and overly challenging.   You must have a big opinion of yourself to think that another user needs to create videos, purely to justify an opinion, to you.

[EDIT:   Just noticed that the above was your FIRST post ..... oh the irony!].

I can't comment on the accuracy or non-accuracy of the A2A 172, as I'm not a real-world pilot, but I have had and still  have a serious issue with the slow elevator trim wheel which moves "...like 'lasses in wintertime..." . I've tried the suggestions from the A2A support forum, but it hasn't helped, and as much as I like the A2A 172, flying it is just too much hassle, and I've spent a lot less time flying it than I thought I would. I've avoided their subsequent releases on the assumption that the trim works the same way. They say it works more realistically, but I've read comments by real-world pilots saying that trimming a real aircraft is easier than trimming in FSX, so from this PC pilot's point of view, they've made it worse rather than better.

I can land it mains-first with full flaps though. :smile:

Rhd75 post did come across as arrogant but i dont think that honestly was the intention just passionate about his experience, i dont agree with most comments but i only have 500 hours and have not flown for years, i also understand scots stance sometimes issues are created purely by the way things are communicated

Wayne

Wayne such

During our week long display at Air Venture (Oshkosh) last year, it was very interesting watching all different people, ranging from casual flight simmers to high time pilots and instructors fly using different hardware.  Each person comes to the table with their own experiences and therefore, preferences.  Some people fly clenching the yoke with a fist, pulling it hard (almost taking the table with it) and others fly with their fingertips.

We added a slider in our 2d pop up, CONTROLS menu in the lower left, that dynamically adjusts the controller sensitivity.  This slider can be adjusted anywhere from 0 to 100, without compromising performance.  It is only the way the controller is interpreted.

Regarding the trim wheel sensitivity, here is a video Peter (Frooglesim) made that explains how to configure it for those using FSUIPC:

Scott.

Scot you guys are awesome for some time now i blamed the a2a 172 bank changes when it was actually dodgy rudder hardware moving left of centre by itself, scot just wondering what rudder you use, i am looking at ditching the faulty ch rudder and replacing with the standard saitek flight pro rudders, would like the saitek cessna rudders but the price is steep, have you tried them by chance

Wayne such