Sign in to follow this  
FastFrankie

Three Crashes to Desktop along with Complete FSX restart

I would like to know if there is any help for the problem of what seems to be an FSX freeze and subsequent Crash and restart of the FSX Gold Edition program after making a request of the RC 4 program to perform a certain action. It is quite frustrating that after loading the programs required to Fly an Online flight for my virtual airline That it closes my three background programs and forces the restart Of FSX. Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Sincerely Frank C.

What you are describing is typical of a memory overload or a corrupted application accessing ram not assigned to it.

RC itself does not use a lot of ram nor does FSUIC4.

Be sure FSUIPC4 is current from this page of links:

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/66139-updated-modules/

and read the release notes for 4.939. Installing the full version is recommended.

Be sure you have plenty of disk space on the partition you have RC and FSX on, and also on your assigned HD for page swapping (virtual ram).

RC uses ram as a buffer for audio assembling the parts of a command to deliver a smooth audio flow of all the parts.

If RC is working OK with a default aircraft and no other add-on running then it is not an RC corruption. Try using the minimum apps simultaneously and close any not used background services to conserve resources.

Since with all of your services running as suggested by your comment it just might be RC as the last app running "breaking the camel's back" when you issue a command and RC responds.

Also, make sure here are no conflicting key assignments where an RC key is actually triggering something in your other running applications.

If you want a technical trouble shooter for resource use, try process explorer from here. It is a separate app running in its own window that you can alt-tab to if needed and then switch back to your FSX which must be set not to pause on task switch.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653 and download it - don't use the live version.

Run just the top window. Set the small timeline graphs at the top as needed. CPU use is there by default. On the bottom status line set up readouts for physical ram use, use ram use, and virtual ram use read outs.

Without knowing your Win version and hardware setup, it is difficult to predict what is happening.

As an admin, you can go into the Win CP Administrative services. Go into the event manager and clear it. The run your FSX session to the point where you get the failure. Note the time. Shut down FSX and its apps. Go back into the event manager and look for cautions and errors surrounding the time of failure. You might get a clue as to what's happening but beware that sometimes a failure can be caused by another event problem leading up to it.

One problem that may be occurring also has to do with a certain sequence of repeating comm frequencies that can crash FS. If FSX crashes apps linked to it may shut down. RC will just hang requiring the task manager to shut it down.

Hi frankie,

What aircraft are you using?Are you using any weather addons?What airport scenery are you using?

In recent days over some forums user have been seeing problems that had not been seen before.Yours might just be one of those.

If you can give a bit more detail,Ron,Roy or any of the guys may be able to help in more detail.

Thanks for getting back to me. I will bench test the machine after changing the virtual memory by doubling its size from 8155 MBs to 15000 MBs. Have also updated FSUIPC to the most recent edition and registered it. Also I was able to delete the references on the Key entries on the default FSX setting for the numbers 1 2 3 4 and the references. FSX crashed when I was using the number 4 key  to request a higher altitude in RC while in flight. I am hoping that there was a conflict with the number allotment.. Well will get back when I bench test the PC. Goimg to use a 5 hr flight from my VA and see if it makes it to the finish. Thanks muchly for your help!!!

I ran a VA Flight but was unable to take it to completion . About a third into the flight the waypoint tracker lost track of the waypoints and then the ATC said I needed to vector in just about the complete opposite direction from the prescribed flight path. Naturally I replied "unable" since I am the PIC. I am sorry but the ATC gave a completely inaudible request and reason. The tracking of the waypoints were fine until this point. I was using a PMDG NGX 737. This is the fourth time the RC  program has malfunctioned. The concept is fine and the realism is appreciated. Please let me know if there is anything I can do. What I feel is important is the version I have does not have an update button. The screenshots of the version in the manual shows an update button. Is it possible my downloaded version is corrupted or the wrong version. It shows 4.3.3845 as the version number. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated

Wishing you Blue VFR conditions

Fast Frankie  

Hi,

You have the latest version.

What you have seen has happened to a lot of us .It is important to ensure that when a waypoint is coming up.that no other communication happens at that point.If it does it can result in the waypoint not being recognised,Another problem could be that quite early in your flight,on departure for instance you missed a waypoint,it sometimes takes RC a while to catch up.The way around these situations is to check what your next waypoint is and then request a direct to that waypoint.You will then be left alone until you pass that waypoint.

Check that you first waypoint is within 30nm of your departure airfield as without that waypoint you may also get nagged at by ATC.

When loading your flight plan does it contain your departure procedure?Some planners give you the option of not including you SID details whilst others will allow it.

Thanks Norman and Ronzie,

Did another VA flight; much better out come. Was also able to find the direct to waypoint link and put it to good use, I was thinking is it also possible to lose a waypoint if your altitude is not spot-on when you reach the waypoint. Well I was able to complete a flight and the approach ATC vector were fairly accurate. Thanks for your help RC is a neat little program. Here's to virtual VFR clear blue serenity! and to you guys for your great help!!!

If you have not responded do an RC command with an Ack reply, RC stalls and will not recognize you crossing a waypoint for credit. In the status area of the RC window the next waypoint line will update a few seconds after you get credit.

If the first waypoint in your plan is within thirty nm RC assumes you are flying a published departure and it is up to you to navigate on your own to cross any within that 30 nm and then line yourself up for the first waypoint outside of those 30 nm. In this case on the RC Controller page you'll see that No Dep Procedure is grayed out for selection and you have the option Altitude Restrictions or No Altitude Restrictions (RC to issue altitudes or not within departure.)

If the first waypoint is outside of 30 nm and you do not select the two DP options as in the preceeding aircraft but No Departure Procedure is selected, then RC will issue vectors and altitudes to line you up for that first waypoint outside of the 30 nm departure zone.

If you have a waypoint that needs to be credited very close to the runway departure end and you suspect you can not maneuver across it within two nm, then leave it out of the plan sent to RC.

In your PMDG B737 NGX series if you use the FMC stored departures the plan sent to RC must match those waypoints. If the PMDG has runway dependent departure procedures then only put in the common departure waypoints for all runways in the plan sent to RC since you will not know what runway will be assigned to departure due to the weather and ai patterns in use. You can then use the NOTAMS option for departure to get some flexibility in how you get to those waypoints. You'll see the option to notify ATC when you are on course so RC will start monitoring your heading from your present position to the next waypoint.

On the B737 FMC you might want to skip a waypoint in certain instances. On the LEGS page if you LSK the next waypoint you want and then LSK the current top line waypoint, The LEGS first line will update to your chosen waypoint and you then activate your change and give you the heading from your present position. If you are navigating not by the FMC LNAV but by the heading control, when RC states resume own navigation it expects your heading from your present position to the next waypoint. If the next waypoint is the top line in the FMC LSK that line twice and it will recalculate your course from your present position and you can then activate that and return to LNAV.

Thanks for the reply!

You guys are aces in my book! Have been able to improve performance on this PC from your suggestions. I will need to reread the RC manual to firm up the concepts put forward. It was very Real as it can Get experience with RC in my last flight, also the resource monitor showed a definite improvement in CPU usage after bumping up the Page File size. Will get back in a day or two after I digest the info and try different settings as suggested. Thanks for making Flight Sim what it is today. Here is kudos to those who saw further than the rudimentary shapes and programming from the days of Pong to the immersive experience Flight Simulation is today.

Wishijng you VFR Serenity.

Fast Frankie