Sign in to follow this  
TristanAbyss

Upgrading the P3D versions and Addons

Hi Guys,

maybe this is a silly question, but nethertheless: :P

I really do appreciate that P3D is constantly moving on, but 2 months ago I upgraded from v2.3 to v2.4 and therefore uninstalled 2.3 with all my addons, installed 2.4 and reinstalled all addons. After all that the weekend was gone...

Now that v.2.5 is released here is my problem:

Do I really have to uninstall all my addons (approx. 50 and counting...) and then reinstall them all in v.2.5 or is there a "trick" to move the addons from v2.4 to v.2.5?

I do realize that I am required to uninstall all of my v.2.4 including all P3D-folders in appdata, programdata,localappdata and userprofile to use the new v2.5 full installer, but does this refer to all the addons (szenery, aircraft ...), too?

Thank you very much in advance,

Tris

Not sure why you did a full reinstall for 2.3>2.4. I've been doing patch upgrades for awhile now with zero issues. Unfortionately, for 2.5, a full reinstall is required. And the best course of action would be to reinstall all your addons. On a positive note, patch upgrades should only be necessary after 2.5.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

Personally, I'll just wait this one out. Some developers are quick with updates but others can take ages or maybe in some cases not update at all. My 2.4 is working ok so no need for updates really, unless there are major performance and anti-stutter fixes, which I doubt. Guess my advice is, if your installation is working satisfactory, wait until your essential add-ons have been updated before installing 2.5.

Yeah, I'm holding off untill more positve feedback from everyone, plus ASN, REX, and Orbx need to get things sorted. Plus 2.4 is working pretty darned well imo.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

I am in exactly the same boat as I imagine most of us P3D advocates are… And I am definitely going to wait until it's proven to me by Rob at and A preponderance of others at 2.5 is worth their while.

As for new directories, once we find out what and where they are, there could probably be batch files written to bring over virtually everything you have and put in the proper 2.5 locations.

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

2.5 is setting the template for all future upgrades. It looks like these will be patches and not full reinstalls. Therefore at some point to enable the patches to patch the correct version will need to be installed. As with all software a new version may well include two options. The patch or the full reinstall. Yes, it's a pain but that's the price you pay for early adoption.

It's great that 2.5 is here... Thanks LM. I will definitely install it when my 3rd party addons support catches up... Till then, enjoying the view.

Yeah, I'm holding off untill more positve feedback from everyone, plus ASN, REX, and Orbx need to get things sorted. Plus 2.4 is working pretty darned well imo.

And F1 GTN and UTX broken .... :(

Oh well patience required

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I am in the same boat a so many others. I really, really appreciate what LM, Rob and the others have been doing to advance the software and the hobby, but I have gobs of add-ons for 2.4 and it will take a while to uninstall and reconfigure everything again. At this point I may be content with just using 2.4 until 3 is available unless something really changes my mind in the additional patches. I have 2.4 looking really good and running well.

The only two things that peaked my interest in the release list was:

• Fixed a bug that would cause all extrusion effects to draw with a visible sawtooth pattern
  • Fixed issues with the bridge pylons that would cause them to look tall/stretched

What would like to know is can we just replace  the Extrusions.spb in 2.4 with the new 2.5 Extrusions.spb file to fix the bridge issue. This is the only real issue at this point that "bugs" me  :P 

Is it even possible to install both versions on the same machine? 

Thank you all for your remarks and opinions.

With all this information  I probably will stay with my beloved v2.4 until v3.0 64 bit is released......

In a 64 bit-environment most certainly all my addons will not work anyway.............. :rolleyes:

But hopefully the wizards at LM will create a wonderful v3 64 bit, where all 32 bit Addons will work too. :wub:

Best regards,

Tris

I'm not entirely sure why everyone feels a need to uninstall a fully loaded,  perfectly functioning 2.4 at all, unless there are some very noticeable, material performance gains in 2.5

I'm not entirely sure why everyone feels a need to uninstall a fully loaded,  perfectly functioning 2.4 at all

Perhaps to give further useful user feedback to Rob and LM?   ^_^

I'm not entirely sure why everyone feels a need to uninstall a fully loaded,  perfectly functioning 2.4 at all, unless there are some very noticeable, material performance gains in 2.5

I continue to update in the hopes that they will address the poor VAS management currently present.

Perhaps it's an addiction more than a hobby, can't wait for the next fix B)

Thanks LM and Rob for all that you're doing, now off to rehab!

Cheers

Martin

Rename 1.4 installation directory,

backup cfg directories, delete cfg directories

uninstall 1.4,

install 1.5,

copy add-on stuff over to new directory (autogen, effects, fonts, gauges, scenery, simobjects, sound, texture, 3rd party etc etc.)

restore cfg directories.

Up and running in 15 minutes, flying the 777 in 1.5, didn't reinstall a single thing.