Sign in to follow this  
TristanAbyss

Upgrading the P3D versions and Addons

The only two things that peaked my interest in the release list was:

Fixed a bug that would cause all extrusion effects to draw with a visible sawtooth pattern
Fixed issues with the bridge pylons that would cause them to look tall/stretched

I would also add,

OOM errors induced by selecting too many planes in the plane selection menu. This issue was fixed for 2.5. If your careful and aware, this is not really a deal breaker.

Also some say that terrain shadowing is fixed in 2.5, but, seems to be working fine for me in 2.4. Maybe I'm missing something?

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

Rename 1.4 installation directory,

backup cfg directories, delete cfg directories

uninstall 1.4,

install 1.5,

copy add-on stuff over to new directory (autogen, effects, fonts, gauges, scenery, simobjects, sound, texture, 3rd party etc etc.)

restore cfg directories.

Up and running in 15 minutes, flying the 777 in 1.5, didn't reinstall a single thing. 

Bakayoyo can you provide more details about the cfg directories?  Where are they located?

Thanks

Bakayoyo can you provide more details about the cfg directories?  Where are they located?

Thanks

backup & restore

%PROGRAMDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2

%APPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2

Before restoring start freshly installed v2.5 one time to generate default files, then restore and copy old directories.

Also copy the root directory of Prepar3d 2.4 to the new install 2.5 but don't overwrite existing files, then copy subdirectories, choose overwrite when copying subdirectories, (do not copy subdirectories: uires, weather, shadershlsl, propdefs, licenses, scenarios, redist)

Copy "terrain.cfg" from root to %PROGRAMDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2

I didn't mind overwriting the new F22 raptor with the old one in simobjects because I never use it, but if you want to keep it, you could overwrite the old 2.4 simobject directory with the new 2.5 simobject directory and then use it in 2.5 instead.

You may need to install new dreamteam addonmanager and fsuicp, disable OrbX objectflow in dll.xml etc. depending on what 3rd party stuff you're using.

Good luck.

P.S. of course make sure the install location of Prepar3d 2.5 is the same is it was for Prepar3d 2.4.

And does Activesky work for you with this hacked install?

And does Activesky work for you with this hacked install?

ASN will not work with in P3d 2.5 with any user hack. It does not inject weather into P3d (or FSX and FSX-SE for that matter) using the standard approach (SimConnect) and hence every time a sim is significantly upgraded, ASN must be revised also. We all have to wait until HiFi sorts through P3d 2.5 and has a chance to test ASN carefully. The same goes for FSX-SE.

backup & restore

Before restoring start freshly installed v2.5 one time to generate default files, then restore and copy old directories.

Thanks!

It should no problem. Do as i do, and install mesh in a separate folder or alternate hard drive, and simply manually add the mesh folders to your scenery library. No need to reinstall if coming from a previous installation.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

Considering how large the mesh package is, that is the only option that makes any sense. I've done that a number of times before with previous P3d "clean" installs and I have never had a problem.

As it seems unlikely we'll have updated installers soon, I wrote down my installation "method" steps to share with others.

Step 1
Rename the directory of Prepar3d 2.4. 
Eg. "Prepar3d v2.bak"

Step 2
Backup these directories then delete the originals.
Also delete these directories (backup flights if you want)
%LOCALAPPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2
%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Prepar3D v2 Files

Step 3
Uninstall Prepar3d 2.4

Step 4
Install Prepar3d 2.5 to same location where Prepar3d 2.4
was before. Then run Prepar3d 2.5 once to generate its
configuration files.

Step 5
Restore configuration files, overwrite existing files.

Note: Prepar3d.cfg has changed so you may want to
keep the 2.5 file, but the 2.4 file will work ok.

Step 6
Select all files in your "Prepar3d v2.bak" directory 
copy & paste them into the new Prepar3d v2 directory.
DO NOT overwrite existing files.

Step 7
Select all subdirectories in "Prepar3d v2.bak" except:
propdefs, redist, ShadersHLSL, uires (So NOT these)
move them into the new Prepar3d v2 directory.
DO overwrite existing files.

Note: this will overwrite included P3D updated aircraft, 
if you want the keep these, first copy the new simobjects
directory over the backup simobjects, then move it.

Step 8
Find the file "terrain.cfg" in your Prepar3d v2 directory.
Copy that file to this configuration directory:

Step 9 (optional)
Prepar3d v2 2.5 has a new file for SimObjectPaths.
To fix issues examine your Prepar3d.cfg file in
%APPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2 and find
eg. SimObjectPaths.9=SimObjects\UT2 Aircraft
Now find the file "simobjects.cfg" in
Create an extra entry for all missing Simobject eg.:
[Entry.9]
Path=SimObjects\UT2 Aircraft

Step 10
Enjoy using all your add-ons in Prepar3d v2 2.5

As it seems unlikely we'll have updated installers soon, I wrote down my installation "method" steps to share with others.

This is great! Thanks for the information, very valuable since I have yet to update *anything* - FSX was FSX, P3D 1.4 was 1.4, and neither ever changed. I am new to the world of updates, and this is great info. 

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

Interesting write up. No reason why this shouldn't work in principal. My main concern is in the event an addon uninstall is required, and would the uninstall work since registry settings aren't tied to legitimate v2.5 installs, and, how future updates to specific addons transferred in this manner would also play out.

Hey bakayoyo can you please list your addons?

I'm wondering which ones work and don't work with this method?

For example VoxATC won't install in 2.5 but I'm wondering if it will operate normally if already installed..

Guess my advice is, if your installation is working satisfactory, wait until your essential add-ons have been updated before installing 2.5.

That would seem to make a lot of sense for anyone who needs to install lots of addons. I may even wait until version 2.6 is released.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I think, it's not the right way just to copy the terrain.cfg into the new location. If an older add-on make changes to terrain.cfg, P3D will never see them. You have to set symbolic links for the moved files (terrain.cfg, airlines.cfg...).