Sign in to follow this  
joejccva71

VAS issues and also terrain.dll crash using FSX Steam

So it was my understanding that there were all kinds of FPS and smoothness improvements to the FSX Steam edition and also I've seen on youtube and read where the Steam edition has vastly improved the way VAS is used.  After using FSX Steam for the past week, this is not the case.

I would still get VAS issues running JUST these addons:

- PMDG 777-200LRF

- FTX Global + Vector 

- Rex 4 Texture Direct + Soft Clouds

- Ideal Flight 10

- FSCaptain

I would put the scenery settings in FSX on max including max scenery complexity and autogen density.   I would load into the sim fine even at busy airports such as KLAX, KATL, KJFK or KBOS.  The cruise would be fine even though the VAS would be at about 3.5 or so, but by the time I would get to my destination, the new scenery would push it over 4gb and crash.

Also, there is the terrain.dll crash that would happen if I tried going across the pond (basically flights over 4-5 hours) like from KJFK to EGLL.  It would happen right as I'm passing under Greenland or so (about halfway'ish).

Has anyone experienced the VAS issues and/or the terrain.dll crash using the Steam edition?  Has anyone found a fix or a workaround?

I mean is it just a matter of either uninstalling some scenery addons or turning down the scenery settings so the VAS stays under and doesn't crash?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

-Andrew Coste

So it was my understanding that there were all kinds of FPS and smoothness improvements to the FSX Steam edition and also I've seen on youtube and read where the Steam edition has vastly improved the way VAS is used.  After using FSX Steam for the past week, this is not the case.

I would still get VAS issues running JUST these addons:

- PMDG 777-200LRF

- FTX Global + Vector 

- Rex 4 Texture Direct + Soft Clouds

- Ideal Flight 10

- FSCaptain

I would put the scenery settings in FSX on max including max scenery complexity and autogen density.   I would load into the sim fine even at busy airports such as KLAX, KATL, KJFK or KBOS.  The cruise would be fine even though the VAS would be at about 3.5 or so, but by the time I would get to my destination, the new scenery would push it over 4gb and crash.

Also, there is the terrain.dll crash that would happen if I tried going across the pond (basically flights over 4-5 hours) like from KJFK to EGLL.  It would happen right as I'm passing under Greenland or so (about halfway'ish).

Has anyone experienced the VAS issues and/or the terrain.dll crash using the Steam edition?  Has anyone found a fix or a workaround?

I mean is it just a matter of either uninstalling some scenery addons or turning down the scenery settings so the VAS stays under and doesn't crash?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

-Andrew Coste

I'm also using FTX Global and Vector and Rex Essentials w/ OverDrive, but I don't get any VAS issues whatsoever.

The terrain.dll CTD in long haul flights (between 4-5 hours), yeah, that's been documented all over the board. DTG is supposedly working  on a fix. You're the first I've ever heard of VAS OOM error in SE, though.

You're the first I've ever heard of VAS OOM error in SE, though.

Anyone can make FSX or FSX-SE or Prepar3D run out of memory. All you need to do is go overboard with high settings. Used with the same settings as in FSX, I think FSX-SE will last longer without OOM, that is all. Just taking advantage of the extra headroom by whacking all the settings up high will really put you back where you would have been with FSX.

Pete

• Upvote 1

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

I'm also using FTX Global and Vector and Rex Essentials w/ OverDrive, but I don't get any VAS issues whatsoever.

The terrain.dll CTD in long haul flights (between 4-5 hours), yeah, that's been documented all over the board. DTG is supposedly working  on a fix. You're the first I've ever heard of VAS OOM error in SE, though.

Thanks for the reply.  May I ask what aircraft you're using?  Do you use the PMDG 737 or 777 at all?  

Anyone can make FSX or FSX-SE or Prepar3D run out of memory. All you need to do is go overboard with high settings. Used with the same settings as in FSX, I think FSX-SE will last longer without OOM, that is all. Just taking advantage of the extra headroom by whacking all the settings up high will really put you back where you would have been with FSX.

Pete

I appreciate the reply Pete.

I guess it's just trying to find the right sweet spot with the settings.  I turned down the settings to where scenery complexity is at very dense and autogen is  just at dense and it does help and uses less VAS, but it does still get to 3.2-3.5'ish by the time I get to my destination area where it loads new scenery.

I thought it may have been because of FTX Global + Vector addons, but I'm thinking that the PMDG aircraft are chewing up a ton.  I mean just loading into FSX at the gate at an airport like KLAX, I'm already at almost 3gigs before I even takeoff.

-Andrew Coste

I guess it's just trying to find the right sweet spot with the settings.  I turned down the settings to where scenery complexity is at very dense and autogen is  just at dense and it does help and uses less VAS, but it does still get to 3.2-3.5'ish by the time I get to my destination area where it loads new scenery.

Did you use FSX before FSX-SE? If so is FSX-SE doing better with the same settings? I think that's all folks have been saying, not that FSX-SE "cures" VAS problems.

I thought it may have been because of FTX Global + Vector addons, but I'm thinking that the PMDG aircraft are chewing up a ton.  I mean just loading into FSX at the gate at an airport like KLAX, I'm already at almost 3gigs 

Yes. It'll be the aircraft tipping it. I am lucky. I never get OOM problems even in FSX. I do have dense scenery, FTX Global + Vector, highly detailed airports and much AI Traffic, but no complex aircraft in FS -- I have a hardware cockpit so no need for an FS cockpit, and the systems, gauges, etc, are controlled by external software (Prosim737 now, used to be Project Magenta).

I think it helps a lot that a large amount of memory isn't permanently occupied by lots of complex gauges and cockpit graphics.

At Aerosoft or UK2000 Heathrow with 50% MyTraffic supplying 100+ aircraft on the ground and another 150 or so in the air, I start off with about 2000 Mb free VAS, and with FSX-SE that rises when leaving the area -- i.e VAS used goes down. With FSX instead of FSX-SE it tends to stay, maybe going down a little, much later, but not so noticeably.

But the main reason I'll be changing over to FSX-SE when ASN is ready for it is that my frame rates and smoothness at such airports are very noticeably better even with increased settings.

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "Crash To Desktop (CTD) Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Thanks for the reply.  May I ask what aircraft you're using?  Do you use the PMDG 737 or 777 at all?  

I appreciate the reply Pete.

I thought it may have been because of FTX Global + Vector addons, but I'm thinking that the PMDG aircraft are chewing up a ton.  I mean just loading into FSX at the gate at an airport like KLAX, I'm already at almost 3gigs before I even takeoff.

-Andrew Coste

The only PMDG aircraft I have purchased is the MD-11. I haven't tried their latest offerings (will at some point). It's well known the 737 and 777 will eat a lot of VAS, so that may be the culprit.

How wide of testing have you done? Are you consistently crashing upon arrival of a certain airport, or does it seem to happen around all your airports.

Lastly, are you running any AI traffic addons?

The only PMDG aircraft I have purchased is the MD-11. I haven't tried their latest offerings (will at some point). It's well known the 737 and 777 will eat a lot of VAS, so that may be the culprit.

How wide of testing have you done? Are you consistently crashing upon arrival of a certain airport, or does it seem to happen around all your airports.

Lastly, are you running any AI traffic addons?

I've done some pretty wide testing of many airports and it's random.  It's never the same airport.  It really depends on whether I cross the threshold of 4g VAS or not but the terrain.dll crashing has only been on long flights across the pond and that only happens with FSX Steam, so waiting for DTG to fix that.

I'm using World of AI traffic but lately I've been only flying on VATSIM so I turn off AI traffic cause it's all multiplayer traffic at that point.

Maybe I missed it, but just curious, what are you using for weather?

I have Active Sky Next but it doesn't work for the Steam edition so I'm just using basic FSX weather until they make that work.

Hmmm. OOM in FSX:SE?

a dll crash is known but an OOM ?

I have been testing FSX:SE for a couple of weeks and I have no OOMS .

I am actually in the middle of a test 

The route is filled with Addon Sceneries !(No additional mesh though) 

Guarulhos -     Campinas -      St. Martin -     Miami

(LATINVFR) (FREEWARE) (FLYTAMPA) (LATINVFR)

Over 8hours have passed and no sign of an OOM!