Sign in to follow this  
mcbellette

FSX & P3D

Just a quick question. For those of you who have run both FSX and P3D on your computer, can you please tell me if you've seen better performance with P3D than FSX or vice versa with regard to framerates? I assume your setups for both simulators will be either the same or close to it, so I'm just hoping to get an idea of how they compare in terms of stuttering, framerates, etc.

Just a quick question. For those of you who have run both FSX and P3D on your computer, can you please tell me if you've seen better performance with P3D than FSX or vice versa with regard to framerates? I assume your setups for both simulators will be either the same or close to it, so I'm just hoping to get an idea of how they compare in terms of stuttering, framerates, etc.

I get better frames from FSX than I do from P3D, and I have a lot fewer things in P3D than I do in FSX. That being said, you can't make direct comparisons because P3D only allows you to make graphics settings changes in the program itself. Using the nVidia Inspector tools will not affect your settings, which has an associated performance impact/limitation.

Kyle Rodgers

I seem to get more consistent framerates in P3D (2.4) than in FSX.

In FSX with the 777 loaded I could get anything from 15 fps (EGLL) to 60+FPS at cruise (DX10 enabled)

In P3D, frame rates range from 25 fps (FlyTampa OMDB 2.3) TO 45 fps at altitude.

Hard to explain, but it's just nicer to fly the 777 in P3D

ASN and Rex 4 Textures, ORBX Global & Vectors, PMDG 777 installed in both FSX & P3D

Win 7x64 / i7 4770K @ 4.4GHz / MSI GTX760 / 16 Gb DDR3 / Both sims installed on 500gb SSD

What's the most obvious difference (performance or visual) between FSX and P3D with the 777?

Steve McLaren

What's the most obvious difference (performance or visual) between FSX and P3D with the 777?

Steve McLaren

Dynamic Shadows in the cockpit in P3D.

I seem to get more consistent framerates in P3D (2.4) than in FSX.

In FSX with the 777 loaded I could get anything from 15 fps (EGLL) to 60+FPS at cruise (DX10 enabled)

In P3D, frame rates range from 25 fps (FlyTampa OMDB 2.3) TO 45 fps at altitude.

Hard to explain, but it's just nicer to fly the 777 in P3D

ASN and Rex 4 Textures, ORBX Global & Vectors, PMDG 777 installed in both FSX & P3D

Win 7x64 / i7 4770K @ 4.4GHz / MSI GTX760 / 16 Gb DDR3 / Both sims installed on 500gb SSD

Just wondering why you can't compare them at the same airports? That doesn't accurately tell us. I just purchased a new 500GB SSD to do a complete install of P3D on. Looking forward to trying it out. Again not challenging you or your findings. Just think a comparison at the same airport would be more useful but thanks for the info.

Richie Walsh

I get WAY better performance out of P3D than I ever did with FSX. In FSX you have to tweak your .CFG just to get remotely close to what P3D 2.5 can do without any tweaking. V2.5 of P3D increased performance quite a bit, including fps. I can finally have a smooth takeoff with my add-ons and not have stutters because of it. 

P3D is only going to get better and better!