Sign in to follow this  
diranius

Realistic engine sound in FSX

Hey guys, I tried searching around but could not find an answer to my question. If my question however already has been asked and answered some place at the forum I apologize and ask kindly that someone point me to that thread. I am new to the forum btw so I apologize in advance.

My question is regarding the jet engine sound effects in FSX. I am primarily using the PMDG 737 aircraft, which does have a more realistic engine sound than the default FSX aircraft, but I can't help but think there is something missing.

I found 2 random videos on youtube which are not mine and which I take no credit for, I just want to ask you to watch them and compare the sound, the first video is FSX, the second is real aircraft:

1. - FSX: 

2. - Real aircraft: 

My question is: is there a way (addon/setting tweak/whatever) to make the sound in FSX sound more like jet engines sound in real life at a distance? I am talking about the wavy-ish whistling/whining/change in pitch mixed with general sound warping (caused by aerodynamics?) that you can clearly hear aircraft make in real life like in the second video. That is something that's missing in FSX, and I would really like to fix that.

The sound on the PMDG while in virtual cockpit view (or any other in/around the aircraft view for that matter) is pretty realistic, but when using the "fly by" camera like the one you can see being used in the first video, the sound is really dull and not very realistic.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any replies.  

FSX doesn't handle the dynamics of external sounds very well. Even with a customized sound set, there would always be something a little off and "flat".

M

FSX doesn't handle the dynamics of external sounds very well. Even with a customized sound set, there would always be something a little off and "flat".

M

Yeah it's really sad that sound quality in FSX is so bad, especially when you make everything else look super realistic, the bad sound quality really stands out and ruins the whole thing a little bit, which is too bad. 

Unfortunately the sound. cfg file just isn't up to it. You may have initially what you think is a good sound sample but when you have played with it to be run in sound.cfg it frequently doesn't sound right and needs a lot of work with programmes like Audacity to be remotely convincing. Coupled to that the sound.cfg will only play 3 second samples. It took me 6 months of tweaking to get an "acceptable" internal cockpit enviroment sound for the Super VC10. If you were to listen to the engine sound files outside the sound.cfg enviroment you would laugh as they sound nothing like a jet engine. But in the sim they are as close to reality as is possible!

diranius

Why not try to make your own sounds.

It does require persistance , and the willingness to tackle a task which will take quite

a bit of time .

I did it once for a military aircraft , it took several weeks of constant tweaking to get

to a stage that was acceptable to me.

I can hardly say that what I created was perfect , but I'm happy with it.

You will need ,

1. A sound editor , I used the freeware " Audacity " editor.

2. Several videos or sound tracks of your aircraft of interest , the more the better.

they need to have the sound from all aspects , side on , head on and going away

from you.

Learn about the Doppler effect , higher pitch at front , deeper pitch at rear.

Note ; engine sounds and aerodynamic (wind) sounds.

Write notes for your self on sound properties of engine and wind as viewed from all aspects,

use those notes to get what you want or are after.

3. If possible search for and get an 'Acoustic chart ' or 'Acoustic Footprint' showing Decibel readings around the aircraft at various distances.

I have only seen one in real life and that was for a military aircraft.

4. have several folders , each with a collection of 'Wave Sounds' ,

do a Google search for them (ie; 737 aircraft wave sound )

Don't restrict it to just 737 sounds , you may find other aircraft sounds that you like,

and that can be changed in the Editor to suit your self.

5. Get a copy of a sound SDK , and in conjuction with that SDK study and get to understand

the contents of the aircraft "Sound.cfg" and the various elements within the cfg.

Note that you can address sound levels etc , for various aspects around the aircraft.

It is a challenge , like any project , you learn by doing .

It does require a personality that is persistant and stubborn and wilful.

I only create instruments/gauges , but when the instruments get to being a bit of an overload

I do something different such as create effects , sounds or repaints ,

it refreshes a mind that can get a bit stale.

Remember , if you do some thing yourself , you set the standard and level of the

end product , you are in effect your own Quality Control , so you aim high .

Cheers

Karol 

diranius

Why not try to make your own sounds.

It does require persistance , and the willingness to tackle a task which will take quite

a bit of time .

I did it once for a military aircraft , it took several weeks of constant tweaking to get

to a stage that was acceptable to me.

I can hardly say that what I created was perfect , but I'm happy with it.

You will need ,

1. A sound editor , I used the freeware " Audacity " editor.

2. Several videos or sound tracks of your aircraft of interest , the more the better.

they need to have the sound from all aspects , side on , head on and going away

from you.

Learn about the Doppler effect , higher pitch at front , deeper pitch at rear.

Note ; engine sounds and aerodynamic (wind) sounds.

Write notes for your self on sound properties of engine and wind as viewed from all aspects,

use those notes to get what you want or are after.

3. If possible search for and get an 'Acoustic chart ' or 'Acoustic Footprint' showing Decibel readings around the aircraft at various distances.

I have only seen one in real life and that was for a military aircraft.

4. have several folders , each with a collection of 'Wave Sounds' ,

do a Google search for them (ie; 737 aircraft wave sound )

Don't restrict it to just 737 sounds , you may find other aircraft sounds that you like,

and that can be changed in the Editor to suit your self.

5. Get a copy of a sound SDK , and in conjuction with that SDK study and get to understand

the contents of the aircraft "Sound.cfg" and the various elements within the cfg.

Note that you can address sound levels etc , for various aspects around the aircraft.

It is a challenge , like any project , you learn by doing .

It does require a personality that is persistant and stubborn and wilful.

I only create instruments/gauges , but when the instruments get to being a bit of an overload

I do something different such as create effects , sounds or repaints ,

it refreshes a mind that can get a bit stale.

Remember , if you do some thing yourself , you set the standard and level of the

end product , you are in effect your own Quality Control , so you aim high .

Cheers

Karol 

Wow, thanks for some really good in depth tips there. I have been looking around the internet for quite some time now for a "finished" product of replacement sounds for FSX but there doesn't seem to be any, so I might actually take up your advice and look into the possibilities of creating my own sounds.

Thanks again for your reply :-) 

An essential tool is FS Sound Studio. Without that you will make little or no progress.

I just checked that out, looks like a nice tool for modifying the sound congifs, thanks for the tip!