Sign in to follow this  
Ragtopjohnny

The Legendary SR71a Blackbird

Hi all, 

I recently bought Glowing Heat's SR 71a Blackbird today. 

I was wanting to recreate a real enough flight plan for it.   Does anyone have any suggestions for a realistic route?  I'd be tempted to try it! Thanks!

Departing Beale AFB by the way.... :o

Beside their usual recon / intel missions over numerous countries. One of the favorites of the admirers of the SR-71 was that they used to fly a photo recon missions and "boom" Hanoi in North Vietnam. Meaning break the sound barrier over them and be amused when they went nuts at the SAM sights trying to target them. They were out of range by the time the radar return and the 'boom' got to them. Please do yourself a favor and see if you can find some of the stories about this aircraft and crews. They outline the incredible capabilities of this aircraft and some of the hilarious and or awesome. Just Google 'SR-71 stories'. You will not be disappointed and busy reading for awhile.

Regards,

Hi Johnny, The beauty of Flight Sim is you can just take it up to 70,000 feet and take it anywhere, something that was not possible while it was in operation. And repaint your SR71 green like your car.....the flying dream machine  B)

Matthew Kane

Don't forget VFR above 60K ft. Hopefully you don't crash the ATC system...

Thanks - I will google those!  I love reading about the aircraft, anything I can learn on it. 

Thanks for the tips on the VFR over 60K!  I'll have to remember to file for IFR on approach so I don't crack up. :)

I got the jist of some missions while reading a similar story on it, when it was used in the Middle East....

LOL on painting it green like my car! :D ytzpilot! :)

I think I like these forums.  They seem to be more active than some others.  :)

I could call it - The Green Dream Flying Machine....... :D

Hi all, 

I recently bought Glowing Heat's SR 71a Blackbird today. 

I was wanting to recreate a real enough flight plan for it.   Does anyone have any suggestions for a realistic route?  I'd be tempted to try it! Thanks!

Departing Beale AFB by the way.... :o

Very nice, that is where I was born. My dad was stationed at Beale for a few years although it was U-2s while we lived there (I think the last SR-71 left Beale right after he got there). I'll ask him next time I talk to him, he might have some ideas for realistic routes.

Samuel Scully

Impressive piece of kit. I was lucky enough to see SR-71A #17975 at March Field Museum in California last summer.

What got me the most was the size, it's huge. Even touched the strange "skin" when the curators didn't look ;)

23.png