Sign in to follow this  
Noel

777: impressive performance in P3D V2.2

I have been a naysayer as to how anything like PMDG T7 could cope w/ dense scenery and do good enough.  I'm not flying out of the most demanding airports by any means, but so far I'm impressed.    I found in most fairly complex areas (KSAN for example) frame rate performance is roughly 50% of unobstructed forward view, and ranges between 32 down to 22 in VC view.  The very good news is that it is really very smooth even down to 22 frames.    Up in the air over SD and KLAX frames stay lowish in the mid to high 20's, but it's really very smooth, so it's ok.

All in all, quite impressive.   Hopefully someday we'll see more use of the massive processing power in modern GPUs by offloading more work to them, though some are thinking 2.5 may change this picture for the better some.   

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I'm gonna frame this thread ;) ... glad it's working in 2.2 for you ... maybe some day you'll update to v2.5.  I just loaded up FB's KDEN with some UT2, some weather, dusk (of course), and took a tour in the Milviz 530F chopper ... I had UT2 at 50% ... performance was surprisingly good considering the airport and number of AI aircraft and I was expecting VAS to be on the edge considering my settings, but even after flying around KDEN for a while and VAS stayed at about 2.9GB (started at 2.8GB).

Cheers, Rob. 

Haha, yes 2.5 I planned all along to upgrade to if it looked like a winner, and that in part will be if and when EMT is adapted to 2.5, and other installers will work as in my ORBX FTX stuff.  No way I'm jumping in until that is assured.  But I have no idea of the implications of 'changed file structure', but it sounds dicey for installers that aren't updated.

Are you using the LUA file (whatever the heck that stands for) to monitor VAS?  I am using FSUIPC's and I saw someone post screenshots of another way to monitor and that had a small window on the lower left of their desktop that I think was transparent but displayed total VAS in use, not remaining VAS like I'm seeing in FSUIPC.  Do you know which tool that is?

Despite the fact one can see what appears (and arguably is) unused processing capitol in the GPU and the non main thread CPU cores, it seems LM has done a lot of good things to optimize of what makes sense to optimize at any one time as the simulator runs.  I noticed this when I was toggling between unobstructed forward view, and VC view, and how this affects GPU utilization & main thread utilization.

Yes, T7.  IMO, it has the best of all SMOOTHNESS:FPS RATIO  of any of my small inventory of planes used regularly.  And I just remembered last night the cool checklist feature as it's been a long time since I flew what was my favorite plane for FSX.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Do you know which tool that is?

It might be Process Explorer which is explained starting on page 31 of the Introduction manual for FSX.

I tell you 2.2 is running T7 really well--I'm not too sure I'm going to to do this upgrade still!  I just finished KSAN to KLAS at night it was fabulous--in fact the plane syncs up w/ FSCaptain & GSX really well.  I swear the plane is smoother flying than QW757 by a considerable margin, w/ frame rates in denser scenery as good or better.   This gives some hope there is meaningful optimization possible even w/o DX12 and other magic.

Noel