Sign in to follow this  
MarkW

Any final conclusion on FSX Steam ?

Not all fsx addons work in fsxse.. If you have a well tuned and enhanced fsx install, this is a major reason not to switch, I would think..

Bert

The conclusion would be:

1. If you have problems with your current FSX installation, give FSX-SE a try.

2. If you don't have problems with your current FSX installation, don't bother with FSX-SE.

I fit into the second option. I have never had a problem with my FSX Deluxe + Acceleration. It runs very smoothly (much better for me than FS2004 where I still have stutters). I have never had an OOM error either, so I would gain nothing by switching.

Well that didnt take much convincing lol.

"Ive never had an oom" doesnt say much really does it? Anyone can scale back add ons  until they dont get ooms anymore but thats hardly massive immersion

Heres something a bit more scientific to browse through . What add ons do you want to work in FSx-Se would be easier to answer ?

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/460355-side-by-side-testing-fsx-vs-fsx-se/

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/460710-pmdg-777-hype-on-steam/

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/457968-fsx-se-compatibility-testing-thread/

ZORAN

"Ive never had an oom" doesnt say much really does it? Anyone can scale back add ons until they dont get ooms anymore but thats hardly massive immersion

That's just it; I have never had an OOM, so I haven't had to scale anything back.

But I realize not all FSX users are in the same situation; which is why I recommended trying FSX-SE if as person does suffer from OOM's or if they experience stutters.

I never an OOM either. But then I don't fly detailed airliners in and out of complex airports etc etc...

That's just it; I have never had an OOM, so I haven't had to scale anything back.

But I realize not all FSX users are in the same situation; which is why I recommended trying FSX-SE if as person does suffer from OOM's or if they experience stutters.

I've never had an OOM either, except once due to an error in one of my own hardware drivers, causing a memory leak!

I'm moving to FSX-SE purely because it is a lot smoother for me, and especially at very dense airports such as London Heathrow (UK2000 v3). With FSX-SE I can put the sliders up higher, have much denser traffic, and still have smoother performance than with FSX-MS.

As you must see, there's more than one reason folks might find FSX-SE superior.

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Running FSX Steam with:

FTX Global + Vector +open LC Europe

Rex 4 Texture Direct + Soft Clouds

FS Global Ultimate Mesh - The Americas

PMDG 777-200LRF

Ideal Flight 10

FS Captain

GSX

Zinertek HD Airport Graphics

Accu-Feel

FSX Stock Weather (cause ASN isn't working)

Running full display settings with everything to the right.  Just doing a flight from KLAX to KPHX (a few airports with a lot of autogen scenery surrounding them), and I was hearing the VAS beeps by the time I landed and was trying to taxi to the gate.

I'm just saying, if you have the scenery addons all on the best settings running other stuff as well as using the PMDG 777, you could have a NASA computer and you'll still either crash or you'll be very close to the threshold of 4g VAS.

And this is for both FSX boxed and Steam edition.

I installed Steve's DX10 fixer and now run FSX in DX10 which has helped the VAS usage some.

Some people mentioned having the steam edition crashing with some sort of terrain error. Was the cause of that ever discovered? Is it fixed? I'm reluctant to switch over to steam if there is an ongoing issue. Once ASN is working with it then I am strongly considering making the move as I am tired of the fsx vas issues with the pmdg 777. 

Some people mentioned having the steam edition crashing with some sort of terrain error. Was the cause of that ever discovered? Is it fixed? I'm reluctant to switch over to steam if there is an ongoing issue. Once ASN is working with it then I am strongly considering making the move as I am tired of the fsx vas issues with the pmdg 777. 

Seems Dovetail are working hard to fix the Terrain.DLL issues. 

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Not all fsx addons work in fsxse.. If you have a well tuned and enhanced fsx install, this is a major reason not to switch, I would think..

If the dog sleeps, let sleep. FSX-SE is still not viable option until all addons are accounted for that can work in Steam. Until then, like "mmann" said, "If you have problems with your current FSX installation, give FSX-SE a try. If you don't have problems with your current FSX installation, don't bother with FSX-SE." I share that opinion also.

Didn't buy it, and won't.  Currently switching completely to P3D, might consider seeing what FS11(?) gives.  My MS FSX works very well, lost the CD's a long time ago but have all my .iso backups.

sig01.png

Thanks for the additional info.  I actually purchases FSX-SE when it was on sale but so far have not done anything with it and have not been following the threads that closely to know if the community can make a solid recommendation.  Regardless of the OOM issue, I really like the potential of smoother performance.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

I just got back into FSX in Dec. I own FSX SE and P3D but not installed (yet). I chose vanilla FSX because of where I fly and what I fly in. Alaska Orby, and PMDG J4100 - both not fully compatible with either SE or P3D.

I'll tell ya, after spending all of the time getting everything up and working- and working really good now. I am good to wait until the dust settles every where.

My frame counter is off, and no OOMs - it all looks great outside of my cockpit window. And I fly in the soup all of the time in Alaska's Fjords with real time weather OpusFSI, sexy Rexy, Orby into FSDT Vancouver &  Aerosoft's PANC (a heavy hitter but working fine). Honorable mention - Steve's great Dx Fix.

Now I fly and don't worry about latest greatest. Well I did just get 3 new GoFlight panels in the mail today....so a bit more work. :)

PS: It is great to not be into big tubes (777) and all of that crazy new stuff.

The song that comes to mind is "Damn it feels good to be a gangsta"  :Monkey:

Rob

"Life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it"