Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

Lockheed-Martin's "Real Target Market"

Otherwise, should it suit management, they'll drop it like a hot rock.

You mean like Microsoft Dropped us with FSX? Who would you trust.....? Oh I know, lets all give our money to Dovetail...Please spare us the drama.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

LM needs to get our young folks interested in aviation, as most of you know the interest in aviation has been dropping in the US over the years. LM in addition to many other things builds planes. They are looking at this from the standpoint of trying to get our young folks interested in aviation so in 10-20 years they will have pilots to fly their planes. Also they are looking for a platform to train the current generation of pilots. LM has to plan many years into the furture to stay competitive...

And FSX, P3d and XP10 combined are but a mere flea on the tail of the big dog called the video game/3D video app market. Maybe if we all pull together, we can wag the dog's tail an inch or two.  I guess we'll just have to live with all that.

And FSX, P3d and XP10 combined are but a mere flea on the tail of the big dog called the video game/3D video app market. Maybe if we all pull together, we can wag the dog's tail an inch or two.  I guess we'll just have to live with all that.

I just think that things are about to change.  If P3D and addons keep tuning the way they have been, when virtual reality hits hard, for sure within a couple of years, the immersion that P3D gives in having the entire world at it one's bidding will bring more users than flight simulation has ever seen.  There is a revolution about to happen, I'm sure of it.

I'm going to. We all change the world.  Just some change is noticed more than others.  Most of it you have no idea who is really responsible for it.

I think its a great thing.  We may not be the bread and butter in terms of profit, I would think.  But we provide diversity and a level of interest, which also serves, not just LM, but also 3rd party development.  LM can then benefit from having their product critiqued, tested, and yet improved via real diversified use and development across the plain.  It may ultimately be a balancing act, but so far I think we as a sector have benefited far better in this than when FSX was supposedly focused on entertainment!  I say, bring it on.  Improve the core....yet cater to the diverse needs of the simulation community.  Everyone can benefit.

I must confess that I actually hadn't expected such a large and rapid response to my post. I was actually determined to get this post made. The first three attempts I managed to accidentally close the browser's tab three times and lost all of what I'd already typed... :blush:

I do agree though that 'we' are very, very important to the folks at Prepar3D because we do provide valuable feedback to them precisely because we are so familiar with the platform and know what to look for and know what to expect...

...and are very vocal about it! :Big Grin:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I agree with the above. I never doubted the corporate and big client as the target market. However, that being said, take us all out of it, including Rob doing all that beta testing, and all of us providing feedback, alot of it not so friendly, and there is no way they would be at V2.5 right now.  Sure we can be labelled as beta testers, but we are a very enthusiastic group who enjoys flight simming on the PC at various levels. If they wanted to do all that privately, I dont think they would be able to make as much progress as they have. The fact they opened it up and made it available to general simmers via a academic license or professional as the case may be, just goes to show they need us, else it wouldve been closed a long time ago.  Heck even our fav 3PDs are showcased on the product page.

The big clients dont have time to deal with all this beta testing and bug finding. Do you think the big clients will put up with CTDs or OOMs, or some other anomalies running a "professional version of PMDG 777? I think not. They just want a product that works in the most realistic way possible and will pay big $$$ to get it.  In the meantime, what was once a somber look at flight simming future couple years ago, is now bright with lots of development behind it. This is all in addition to xplane and FSX SE now.

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

I must confess that I actually hadn't expected such a large and rapid response to my post. I was actually determined to get this post made. The first three attempts I managed to accidentally close the browser's tab three times and lost all of what I'd already typed... :blush:

I do agree though that 'we' are very, very important to the folks at Prepar3D because we do provide valuable feedback to them precisely because we are so familiar with the platform and know what to look for and know what to expect...

...and are very vocal about it! :Big Grin:

Lol :LMAO:

André

If someone happens to take the stance that since we aren't LM's target audience that we shouldn't use it...

Should also take the stance that FSX on Steam isn't meant for the serious simulation crowd so we shouldn't use it.

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

in 10-20 years they will have pilots to fly their planes

I don't think so.  Humans on-board are being replaced by drones.  Driverless cars are being tested in the UK and USA.  Robotics are now very sophisticated.  That is the future.

Remember the 'brick' phone of yesteryear.  We regard that as primitive by today's standards but back then it was groundbreaking.

Ladies and gentlemen the future awaits ... welcome it.  :P

I'm sorta ###### off LM didn't emulate the phase change beer mug holder in the F22 ... not even a dial to set it's frosty temperature, but the ultimate "no go" and why I'm going to stick with FS1 was the lack of emulating the button to change the display from C to F ... grrr ... very frustrating times we live in.

Anyway, back to reading my 1000 page manual on Java 12.0 ... bet you I find a spelling mistake on page 777.

Cheers, Rob.