Sign in to follow this  
avgaskoolaid

P3D V2.5- Ohio-Class Sub/general underwater qs

I just got P3D to try it out for a month and see if I want to shell out $60 for the full license. So far, I'm very impressed and it works well on my system. One thing that I find really interesting is the ability to travel underwater. Submarines have always been my 2nd nerdy interest (besides planes), so when I saw that there was an Ohio-Class sub to use I was very excited. However, I was disappointed when I could not see it underwater. Not being able to see it would often cause me to descend too low and fall through the bottom of the map. Is there any way to fix this? I find it odd that they would include the sub if you could not see it underwater. The other "Submersible" sub works and looks just fine in or out of the water.

Also, is there a way to adjust the clarity of the water? I saw that this was possible in previous versions but could not find anything on it in V2.5

Edit Prepar3d.cfg. In the section marking [TERRAIN], you will see a setting:

WATER_CLARITY=30

I have not personally checked to see whether the setting does anything or not. Also, don't forget to enable Bathymetry in P3d user interface settings.

Edit Prepar3d.cfg. In the section marking [TERRAIN], you will see a setting:

WATER_CLARITY=30

I have not personally checked to see whether the setting does anything or not. Also, don't forget to enable Bathymetry in P3d user interface settings.

WATER_CLARITY=30 was already set in the .cfg. And I was sure to set bathymetry on as well as to put all my sliders where they are supposed to be. 

The next logical question is - are there any available scenery mesh addons which enhance the underwater bathymetry data? This could be a whole new cottage industry for P3D scenery/addons for the seafaring folks - crafting scenery for ports and such...  boat and submersible addons... etc.etc.

Heh - simulate the transit of "Red Route 1" by passing through Thors Twins and counting the time to the turn at Neptune Massif.... (Give me a ping, Vasili. One ping only.)

-Greg

• Like 1

We still need a proper submarine. What about a PMDG Los Angeles class submarine? That would have been something. After reading all of the Tom Clancy books (and a few other books featuring submarines), I've been wishing for a proper submarine simulator featuring modern subs.

Marius S

WATER_CLARITY=30 was already set in the .cfg. And I was sure to set bathymetry on as well as to put all my sliders where they are supposed to be. 

Try changing it in increments of 10 or 20. See if that does anything. Also, you could add custom camera views, if none of the default P3d views show the outside of the sub. 

This sounds right up my street. As well as being a flying nut I'm also an ex-submariner. It doesn't matter that you can't see the outside of the boat as you can't see this anyway once you're dived.Simulating a patrol on a Trident boat "bomber" should be straight forward. Lock yourself in a small room for 3 months and read lots of books, listen to lots of music, watch lots of videos, don't interact with the outside world, sleep a lot and fiddle around with your PC to simulate the technical part. For excitement, pretend to nuke the world every few days.

Hi, I'm working on a Ohio and a LA class sub for P3D. Here are a few shot's of my subs in P3D V2.

Marko

Wow, those look awesome! They're not freeware, I see, but still very cool.

Anyway, I tried adjusting the clarity of the water (bumped it up to 100 from 30) and did not see any change really. Here are some pictures of what is going on with the Ohio-Class. If this is just how the model if for everyone, I can live with it, but it still would be nice to fix it if possible.

2015-2-13_15-13-47-672_zps3vrauxdm.png

Underwater

2015-2-13_15-13-53-129_zpsziyfeeiz.png

As you can see, the research sub looks fine

2015-2-13_15-14-20-978_zpsf8vbni5c.png

2015-2-13_15-14-45-798_zps9c254cb3.png2015-2-13_15-14-56-407_zpsy1qass1y.png

Here is this Ohio Class just below the surface with only the periscope (?) showing

2015-2-13_15-13-55-349_zpsh48errny.png

Anyway, I tried adjusting the clarity of the water (bumped it up to 100 from 30) and did not see any change really

It was worth trying. :(

In P3d V1, there was a slider that controlled water clarity and changed that CFG setting. The slider is missing from P3d V2 and the setting may now be deprecated (no longer functions). The only other settings that might have some impact on seeing a dark object underwater might be the water reflection setting, the water refraction setting, the time of day, wind (wave action) and cloud cover. I doubt that any of these will give you that much additional underwater visibility. Basically, you can't see very far laterally underwater, because the red end of the light spectrum is attenuated fairly rapidly with depth. That's why everything looks bluish underwater.