Sign in to follow this  
RotorWash

P3D

What are the IMMEDIATE benefits of P3D, all I read Is incompatibilitys and poor performance, all for the sake of a few shadows? Such a huge percentage of posts regarding toil and struggle, please enlighten me ?

P3D performs better for me than FSX ever did......... before P3D was released FSX was crashing in the middle of every 2nd or 3rd flight and I almost gave up flight simming.

I went to P3D when it came out as version 1....... now at version 5...... and I have not had P3D crash once.

I tried a flight in FSX a few months ago...... and the flight crashed on the first flight. FSX...... never again.

As with FSX you need to adjust the settings in P3D to get the right balance for your hardware...... then you will see that there is more to p3d than just shadows.

Roy

Roy Jordan

Sir, it all depends on your circumstances. Please see below for my findings:

What P3D is:

A leap ahead in terms of stability, visual appearance, lighting, shadows, and reliability in normal usage. You will not see the same frame rate nonsense for hovering your mouse over the windowed mode sim.

More consistent in performance, requiring little/no config tweaks as before. In terms of toil, it is positively low maintenance.

An evolving platform, with constant improvements and real hope for 64bit, and directx 12 (thus allowing more than 1 cpu cure to work with your gpu)

What P3D is NOT (yet):

A coding miracle.

The complete answer to OOMs, but 2.5 will help AC swaps.

Simulation nirvana.

--

I'm running 3x 27in montors at 6020x1080 - with P3D professional, and PMDG 777. I achieve 30fps in the VC with TrackIR until the clouds form, and it might drop to 25fps. Microstutters are non existent.

Relatively speaking, I have a lot of add-ons and hardware to contend with, and a little googling got everything going.

The immersion and reality of this setup surpasses my old FSX environment, which now looks flat, feels inconsistent, and flimsy.

I have shortcuts set up for the AC I fly - so I dont need to swap around in the sim too much - thus keeping ooms at bay.

P3D is worth the investment if of course, you suit the EULA.

Have a great day.

I went to P3D when it came out as version 1....... now at version 5...... and I have not had P3D crash once.

P3D V5 is out!??!?!?! 

What P3D is:

A leap ahead in terms of stability, visual appearance, lighting, shadows, and reliability in normal usage. You will not see the same frame rate nonsense for hovering your mouse over the windowed mode sim.

More consistent in performance, requiring little/no config tweaks as before. In terms of toil, it is positively low maintenance.

An evolving platform, with constant improvements and real hope for 64bit, and directx 12 (thus allowing more than 1 cpu cure to work with your gpu)

Adding to this list:

A professional product for training and professionals.

What P3D is NOT (yet):

A coding miracle.

The complete answer to OOMs, but 2.5 will help AC swaps.

Simulation nirvana.

Adding to this list:

An entertainment product.

Adding to this list:

Thank you for highlighting Sir, however I qualified the EULA issue on my last line. It's not for me assume the circumstances of others.

Thank you for highlighting Sir, however I qualified the EULA issue on my last line. It's not for me assume the circumstances of others.

That teaches me to read an entire post before jumping in!!! My apologies!

Never going back to FSX, ever. For me personally P3D is much more stable and smooth compared FSX. It also looks better. Don't expect improved textures and graphics those haven't changed and still look like FSX though. I can now do basic stuff like switching between full screen and windowed without having to pray for the thing not to CTD. All in all a much better experience for me personally.

Some posts have been hidden because they got into discussion of the EULA. AVSIM has stated that these discussions are not to take place here. Moreover, the opinions I've seen expressed around here are more wrong than right, so there's that, too.

License agreements and laws are a big deal, guys...that's regardless of various individuals' willingness to accept that. People may get blue in the face about businesses "hiding" behind legal agreements, but the fact of the matter is, acting in ways that put you in legal liability is just irresponsible, and potentially very costly.

Kyle Rodgers

As stated above, there's a clear immersion factor that immediately sets it apart from FSX. A subtle smoothness, more refined. After using it, when you go back to FSX it definitely feels like going backwards. Is FSX still viable - certainly, but P3D is already a huge improvement, and it's also moving forward in development. I don't believe you'll be disappointed.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

It dumps a work load on your GPU so if you have a fast gfx and a lot of gram on it, it helps a lot, its the reason i went for a 780 with 6gb on it. FSX is cpu based P3D works both hard.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Thanks for the responces, however, if we deduct what P3D has the possibility to be, I have all this in FSX (other than shadows and the mouse hover issue). I dont get any Ooms at all, ever. I have a stable 35 to 60 fps (with the cursor in the task bar and no addon airports) at the same resolution 6040 x 1080, high settings (not max), HD 7970 (ccc to override), I3770k small o/c, SSD,with NGX,Orbx Australia,FS2crew,Voxatc,ASN,REX4 (med hd settings), Ezca, FSForce, etc etc and bulk peripherals. Oh, I only have a couple of the essential tweeks, I have a bit of tearing with TrackIR, prefer Ezca anyway. Crashes are rare and usually attributed to addons.

I still don't see any significant improvements to warrant changing platforms at present, I do see it's potential future ( but you can't sell a car for the condition it could be in)

I have one more question please, will all my addons integrate easily and functionally into P3D, is their a list of approved addons available ?

Cheers

Ivan

Thanks for the responces, however, if we deduct what P3D has the possibility to be...

I have one more question please, will all my addons integrate easily and functionally into P3D...

Cheers

Ivan

Ivan - Instead of "what P3D has the possibility to be" it is really "what P3D already is".  If you read what I wrote above, there is already a clear, tangible, and obvious improvement over FSX and the only way you will ever understand that is to try it yourself.  I realize you already have a very stable and mature FSX installation, and that's "golden"... you are fortunate.  Staying with FSX is certainly a safe way to go, but...

I too have a terrific FSX setup with a host of add-ons, but I decided to give P3D a try just for kicks... and now I have no desire to go back to FSX.  Clearly YMMV with regard to your hardware setup, but if you give it a try, you just might like it ;)

With regard to your add-ons question, Orbx Australia, FS2crew, ASN, REX4, and Ezca are already compatible with P3D v2.4... I don't know about the others since I don't use them.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

all I read Is incompatibilitys and poor performance,

If you read beyond many of the improperly titled posts that show up on this forum, you find that often the user has installed something incorrectly, is utilizing a third party app that is/was not P3D compatible or just had something wrong on their end.  

Many times (not every time) the user's issue is resolved later in the thread but the title which reads like a factual indictment of a bad product remains.  This results in misleading many who just look at the titles of postings or just read a bit into them and decide, "good thing I kept away from P3D, sure looks like it does not work too well."  This is a shame.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

Not to mention it only has vc shadows - well it has a lot more than that do your homework boys and girls

Rich Sennett

It is optimistic to know that P3Dis a developing platform, however, like other developing platforms (DCS for example), fixes and updates tend to break more things than are fixed, and the dog is allways chasing its tail. I prefer flying to tweeking, at least addon developers know what they are up against with FSX, i am mostly concerned that P3D will become one of those constant tweeking platforms (1000 hrs on cfg and 2 in the air). It's a big move when you allready have a stable platform ?

Cheers

Ivan