Sign in to follow this  
RotorWash

P3D

It is optimistic to know that P3Dis a developing platform

All good points but personally I am willing to put the time in as I now have a stutter free pmdg 777 which I could not achieve in fsx that alone is worth the price

Rich Sennett

Ivan - you seem to be justifying your decision to stay with FSX almost defensively like somehow we will think less of you because you don't join us out on this exciting P3D frontier.  If that's the case, nothing could be further from the truth!  Your commitment to FSX and the 3rd party add-on community, not to mention the hours you've committed to PC flight simulation, is commendable and only helps make this hobby stronger. 

The cool thing is that you can maintain that stable, mature setup you have now with FSX and still install P3D for those times when you want a glimpse of what's happening out on the front lines.  P3D installs perfectly well alongside FSX, so it won't hurt at all to check it out.  Come on in, the water's fine!

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

Ivan - you seem to be justifying your decision to stay with FSX almost defensively like somehow we will think less of you because you don't join us out on this exciting P3D frontier.  If that's the case, nothing could be further from the truth!  Your commitment to FSX and the 3rd party add-on community, not to mention the hours you've committed to PC flight simulation, is commendable and only helps make this hobby stronger. 

The cool thing is that you can maintain that stable, mature setup you have now with FSX and still install P3D for those times when you want a glimpse of what's happening out on the front lines.  P3D installs perfectly well alongside FSX, so it won't hurt at all to check it out.  Come on in, the water's fine!

I'd love to follow this advice, I am permanently getting CTDs on FSX, especially when switching between windowed and full screen (I run TOPCAT and other things for flight planning). Unfortunately I am neither an aviation student, developer nor professional pilot!!! I guess I could give FSX SE a go....

Go to Lockheed's Prepar3D website, check out the requirements, then email them and ask. Enjoy!

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

Go to Lockheed's Prepar3D website, check out the requirements, then email them and ask. Enjoy!

I'm tempted, but I think I'll hold back for a while. I'll see how it matures, along with FSX-SE, little point risking a fluid and stable FSX. I only have 80 gb left on my SSD, so it has to be one or the other. I am sure P3D would be an improvement, though marginal in its present state.

Thanks for all your responses.