Sign in to follow this  
Dazkent

looking for improved Boeing 737-700/800

OP asked for something "between" default and PMDG, not an NGX endorsement. I second the iFly 737NG. Great value as mentioned above.

IFly is about the same complexity - QW or CS in in between but neither has a 737

NGX is the one to get. OP - I'm a GA guy and the NG is the only tube I fly. Just do the tutorial flights and that's all you'll ever need to know.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

One possibility might be a freeware enhancement package like this, enhancing the VC and some gauges.

This is what I would recommend. I have this package and have never felt the need to move up to the iFly or PMDG. Best of all the price is right, it's freeware!

That being said I fly bush/float planes, helicopters, fighters and GA aircraft more than tubeliners; so my opinion probably doesn't count for much.

That looks like a good option. It mentions a working FMC but if that's not up to par, one can get the ISG FMC. I used it with success before the iFly.

James McLees

Thank you for all the advice guys. I decided to go with the I fly for FSX as this is my main sim at the moment and I have purchased the PMDG for P3D ( its on sale at a reduced price right now). Am going to give the i fly a try out first before I progress onto the PMDG, Looks like I have lots of learning too. I find Youtube very useful :)

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV1523

My youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/c/Dkentflyer

I get better performance in the PMDG, but hardly fly it because the VC just doesn't look like a 737. So I fly Ifly. I even use the default 737 VC, which merges perfectly with the Ifly737 and use the Ifly gauges. I get very good performance this way, but still enjoy a more complex 737.

May I ask why you don't think the PMDG doesn't look like a real 737? After 7000 hours in the real thing I am still impressed how nicely done the PMDG is. Sure there are a couple things but to say it doesn't look like the real thing?

Why mess around or waste money on a lesser product - jump into NGX

Rich Sennett

Guest JustanotherPilot

QWsim 757 is easy to fly, plenty of repaints, good quality, half the price of the PMDG and is  a good introduction to using the FMS and flying STARS and SIDS which can't be done with the default 737

The PMDG is the lesser product compared to the iFly. The iFly has as much and more features then the pmdg model

What features does iFly have that PMDG don't?

What features does iFly have that PMDG don't?

The only feature I can think of is more realistic cockpit geometry, although as a whole I believe the pmdg has much better graphics and more accurate colors.  However I do believe the best thing about the pmdg is what is behind the scenes.  I remember reading one of mike rays books on the real 737, there was a part of the book that mentioned this anomaly of the 737 where the overwing exits had some "play" when unpressurized on the ground and sometimes would throw a door indication on the overhead that would disappear when they were jolted into position upon applying takeoff thrust.  Sure enough, I experienced this exact behavior on the pmdg 737.  I also read a post by RSR regarding the ngx when it was still unreleased, he said that the amount of time it took the fmc to calculate various commands would change based on the flightdeck temperature.  These are just some of the things that put pmdg products in a class all their own and make them worth every penny.

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero

The PMDG is the lesser product compared to the iFly. The iFly has as much and more features then the pmdg model plus you get the BBJ's and the -700ER which is fun to fly long haul.

Better value for more wins out in my books.

Not a chance

Uninstalled I-FLY the day i bought it - never looked back PMDG all the way

Rich Sennett

I don't understand why PMDG doesn't include an option for an aircraft without the HUGS with correct geometry. I have and love the PMDG 777-200 and will buy V2 of the 747, but...it's nuts, I know, I just don't want those weird windows. I'm cool with the iFly.

James McLees

I don't understand why PMDG doesn't include an option for an aircraft without the HUGS with correct geometry. I have and love the PMDG 777-200 and will buy V2 of the 747, but...it's nuts, I know, I just don't want those weird windows. I'm cool with the iFly.

I never use the hugs 

Rich Sennett

The PMDG is the lesser product compared to the iFly. The iFly has as much and more features then the pmdg model plus you get the BBJ's and the -700ER which is fun to fly long haul.

Better value for more wins out in my books.

Hahahaha! *wipes tears away* quite the funny guy, you!  :lol:

Why mess around or waste money on a lesser product - jump into NGX

Because it's a lot cheaper, includes more variants, has better frame rates, has the same level of functionality, and it didn't take a year to implement new features such as the ASN WX radar.

Why would anyone spend money on a Volkswagen instead of a Mercedes? Better value for your money, perhaps.

Anyways OP, the iFly and PMDG are nearly identical products. With that said, they are easy to fly because most of it is automated. And please, don't let others tell you how to spend your own money, like the aforementioned here.