Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy RFR

Question for the experts on reinstalling Flight in 2015

After reading with a ton of interest all of the progress in merging FSX assests into Flight, I decided to reinstall after a couple of years of it being gone from my hard drive.

Just of bit of trouble doing that.... ^_^

I had originally downloaded Flight and purchased the Hawaiian DLC and the Maule directly through GFWL.  Much later, after I had long uninstalled Flight, I bought the Alaskan DLC from Steam during a sale.  Never downloaded or activated it.

I decided to reinstall though Steam, since it was an easy one button click.  Done.  I can open up Flight, and I'm there with the Big Island and the Icon. That part works.  However, I couldn't manage to sign into the GFWL service at all, and it wouldn't accept my key from Steam for the Alaskan DLC.

So my first issue dealt with being able to sign into the old GFWL at all.  Nothing seemed to work, until I uninstalled the old GFWL, downloaded and installed the most recent, at which point it brought up my profile, but wouldn't let me log in.  Some internet research later, and I found myself clicking though various xbox.live.com pages until I hit one that let me accept a new set of terms and conditions.  At this point, I can now fully log into GFWL, and view my profile through the stand-alone app, and from within Flight.

However, I still cannot access or download any of my purchased content from within Flight.  Anywhere, whether it's the marketplace on the main menu, or the choices on the map page, bring up a window that says 'Downloading Content', with a spinner.  However, nothing gets downloaded.  I let it run all night like that, and when I came back to my PC this morning, it still had the same 'Downloading Content' window showing.

I do notice that I can install Flight, the Hawaiian DLC and the Maule through the stand-alone app.  However, the Alaskan DLC whcih I bought through Steam doesn't show up there. 

Any recommendations or instructions on what to do to have a Flight install with all of my purchased DLC?

Does the Steam install not work properly, and do I have to download Flight through the standalone GFWL app? Is my Alaskan DLC going to be non-functional?

Any advice is very appreciated!

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I only ever downloaded content from GFWL not steam. It's my understanding that the two are mutually exclusive. The market place no longer works. The last time I downloaded all my content was after the market place shut down so I did it through the GFWL app which was about a year ago. I went through the same hoops and loops you did but eventually managed to sighn into my profile.

The content you brought from GFWL is only available from that platform and the content you purchased from steam is only available from steam.

I'm only guessing but because you have the steam version installed the GFWL app is seeing a different GUID or liscense key and therefore will not download anything.

Hope that helps in some way until someone can come up with a better answer.

I appreciate the input.

I suspected that I'd be able to download the GFWL content through the app, but I don't see any way to get my Steam content at all, even through that platform. 

Which may be my own fault for not activating it way back when.

If anyone has any further solutions, I'm all ears!

It's actually kind of sad; although it would seem great progress has been made in getting FSX content into Flight, the majority of users are going to be locked out of it, even if they had once had the Flight platform.  The steps I had to jump through just to get this far seemed considerable, and more like random luck than anything else, since of course msot of the links one is given to click through Flight or through the app are simply dead.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I appreciate the input.

I suspected that I'd be able to download the GFWL content through the app, but I don't see any way to get my Steam content at all, even through that platform. 

I initially had the steam install of flight, as this is where I bought all content originally. But the steam version had some compatibility with the flighttoolkit, I can't recall which one precisely. So uninstalled everything and installed the non-steam pure GFWL version. Maybe it's worth trying that?

I initially had the steam install of flight, as this is where I bought all content originally. But the steam version had some compatibility with the flighttoolkit, I can't recall which one precisely. So uninstalled everything and installed the non-steam pure GFWL version. Maybe it's worth trying that?

Perfect.  Thanks for the advice.  I uninstalled the Steam version, and reinstalled the GFWL one.  Just spent the last couple of hours exploring Alaska, with the assistance of the flighttoolkit.

Then I got bored, and for fun, I decided to see what would happen when I put the default C172 from FSX in.  Material issues caused me to not see out the windows, and er, it did some fancy tricks once it got of the ground, but boy oh boy is there ever promise with this project!

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.