Sign in to follow this  
DarkstarF16

Let's speculate

Just a few weeks ago, I made a comment about having to notice what sim I'm in, because the flight dynamics seemed much more of the same.  I do run some better 3rd party airplanes with both sims.

Simple!  In X-Plane your banking instead of yawing everytime you use power in a prop aircraft without counter-rotating props.... at any speed / dynamic pressure - it's unique!  :Cuppa:

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I think it can, because of the way it is coded, but for sure it is flight dynamics wise... Ahead of either FSX or XP....

Yes I found ported to MS FLIGHT some of the limitations, for instance, of MSFS's prop and reciprocating models, but the feel of flight, the aspects that we could never see in ANY add-on ( even the more sophisticated available for either fs9 or fsx, or x-plane 10 ) and are so beautifully reproduced in MS FLIGHT make it really different and for sure worth the use / install, while we keep waiting for Dovetail's offer :-)

That reminds me of what was written about Flight by one of the early developers after its cancellation was announced back in 2012.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/380841-flight-post-mortem/

He wrote that the base code and SDK for flight are "simply amazing" and that many of the developers had practical experience flying the planes availabe in Flight, which may explain why the "feel of flight" as you write is so great.

I still remember that feedback on the controls, by the airstream hitting the ailerons, elevator, rudder under turbulent / variable wind weather scenarios, the much better than in any version / add-on for FSX and X-Plane, ground handling / physics, the much better wind and turbulence effects, the great stall characteristics of the Maule and the Stearman, those incredible details like the effects of an open cockpit in the RV6 or a door being opened inflight ( if the pilot / passenger was strong enough ) in the Maule, and many many more things...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

those incredible details like the effects of an open cockpit in the RV6 or a door being opened inflight ( if the pilot / passenger was strong enough ) in the Maule, and many many more things...

Good you mentioned that. In the real life RV6, if you forgot to lock the canopy, which so many have done..................it would slide back 4" or so.  Much too tough to slide it back with one hand, so you just land and then lock it.

Simple!  In X-Plane your banking instead of yawing everytime you use power in a prop aircraft without counter-rotating props.... at any speed / dynamic pressure - it's unique!  :Cuppa:

You just have to use a Carenado, or the counter-rotating machines....     :smile:

I used to rent a 4 place Grumman AA-5A Cheetah. It was easy to push back the sliding canopy and close it in flight with no problem. A fun bird, never had a bad landing with that aircraft but boy did it love to float.

Steve

I used to rent a 4 place Grumman AA-5A Cheetah. It was easy to push back the sliding canopy and close it in flight with no problem. A fun bird, never had a bad landing with that aircraft but boy did it love to float.

Steve

Yes, the RV was different.  Opening and closing in flight isn't an option. With a constant speed prop acting as an air brake, my RV6 wouldn't float either. It was as if there was no ground effect. I could hit a pattern at 120 kias, and easily slow for base and final. A fixed pitch RV would have to begin slowing for miles.

P.S.......my only bad landing was the last.....