Sign in to follow this  
mazelda

Navigraph charts and Aivlasoft efb

Hi
Just watched froogles latest hanger vid and noticed he was using navigraph charts
are these charts better than the ones used in the aivlasoft efb program?
My subscription for the aerosoft fms files are up very soon and I'm just wondering weather to buy both the navigraph charts and fms data
or to just buy the fms data for use in aivlasoft efb  or stick with the aerosoft fms data
I'm also wondering if having the charts on a tablet  and the map on efb might also be an option worth trying
what combinations do others use?
thanks

Pete Little

I've used both and here's what I found:

Aivlasoft - it's a nice program, very flash and streamlined, but it has the one inherent problem; it draws it's chart data from Navigraph which doesn't show everything 100% of the time. Terminal procedures are sometimes missing altitude crossing restrictions or omit certain details of an arrival/departure. Navigraph says it knows of these anomalies in it's data and works to try and purge them but with the amount of data they take and convert for use with FSX/P3D it will never be 100% accurate.

Reading an actual departure/approach plate is the only way to get 100% of the data you need to fly terminal procedures accurately every time

Navigraph charts (cloud / desktop version) - I signed up for a year of Navigraph cloud/desktop charts. I found the desktop version to be clunky. Not very user friendly interface and sometimes tedious pulling up charts.

I thought their cloud service over iPad would be better, but I ran into resolution problems, charts not remembering the last zoom level I set, and no way to set up a quick collection of charts relevant to the route I wanted to fly per session. You could bookmark charts, but that was about it. I think I used cloud 3 or 4 times in the year

I eventually settled on FSKneeboard 2 for iPad. The charts are accurate, and you can setup temp charts for a route, all organized by tabs that you can quickly access. Any charts they don't have in their database can be filled in by uploading your own charts you find to Dropbox and you can directly import the charts from Dropbox into the app. It's all seamless.

Also includes metar lookup, airport information (frequencies, runway info, etc.), weather maps, and a couple other things.

Avilasoft EFB just builds it's data from whatever you have installed into your sim, so if you have default, you get whats available inside FSX or if you have Navigraph or Navdata pro it will use either of these depending on the option selected, then display this info during the flight from that.

EFB I don't think was ever designed to be a charts program at all , it simply uses whatever it has available and presents you with what it gathers from the sim. Bottom line is you should still try to get charts as stuff will always be missing. EFB is a great program and will improve your experience regardless, especially when trying to navigate huge airports on the ground.

The best way is to use Navigraph or Navdata pro with EFB and have the same ARIAC installed to the FMC of your favorite aircraft and PFPX to tie it all together. If not you will get all kinds of different SID and STAR that are renamed , different  or simply do not exist between the ARIAC's

For my charts I got a program called Sim Plates X Ultra - it was on sale before christmas and I got a great deal on it....

I quite agree the navigraph chart program is clunky. However, their charts are updated 4 times a year and they are from Navtech.

AJ...like to try Fskneeboard but I have an Android tablet.

Aivlasoft's charts are not perfect, but you get to fly over top of them. Exellent for reference purposes.

Or just buy paper charts. I have Navigraph and EFB - also have tried many others - but now I use real paper charts setup correctly before the flight on 2 clip boards. I use sectionals, low and hi charts. Also the the terminal procedures book. Only cost about $5 a chart or for the book.

Gotta use your brain while flying though - or you will get lost. I personally don't use GPS. Not trying to sound like a tight a. :Monkey:

Love it - but I can be an overly purest most of the time. Drives other people nuts. 

I understand the other point of view. This just keeps me occupied while flying.

Rob

"Life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it"

Avilasoft EFB just builds it's data from whatever you have installed into your sim, so if you have default, you get whats available inside FSX or if you have Navigraph or Navdata pro it will use either of these depending on the option selected, then display this info during the flight from that.

A couple clarifications: It will pull all the AFCAD data when constructing top-down airport maps, but all terminal procedures come from a navdata source, which you pointed out. If you don't update the AIRAC, EFB turns into a moving map with limited airport information that may or may not be accurate.

The best way is to use Navigraph or Navdata pro with EFB and have the same ARIAC installed to the FMC of your favorite aircraft and PFPX to tie it all together. If not you will get all kinds of different SID and STAR that are renamed , different  or simply do not exist between the ARIAC's

Even if you use a navdata source with both Aivlasoft and the FMC of your addon aircraft, it's the same data. If crossing restrictions are missing from Aivlasoft, they will also be missing from the LEGS in the FMC.

Using actual charts is still the #1 best way to get 100% accurate navigation data.

For my charts I got a program called Sim Plates X Ultra - it was on sale before christmas and I got a great deal on it....

I looked at this, but they don't update often. Free websites like AirCharts.org and others are increasing their chart selection and coverage every year. At this point I would say Sim Plates is obsolete.