Sign in to follow this  
Spin737

New Alaska livery

They just sent out some pics of the new livery. Slight change. Nothing earth-shattering, but some of you will appreciate it. Slight logo change. Eskimo stays. Different cheat lines. Winglets are different. I'll post a pic sometime.

Matt Cee

So do you like it?  I'm still on the fence, but its growing on me.  549AS is the first, should be on the line this weekend.  I'm going to have to go and take a close look.

Ryan Syferd (KSEA)

So do you like it? I'm still on the fence, but its growing on me. 549AS is the first, should be on the line this weekend. I'm going to have to go and take a close look.

Meh. It'll look better on 787.

That's not new livery. That's the Employee Powered plane. Ooh, look! There I am at about row 25!

Matt Cee

They should give the whole fleet the salmon treatment.

It looks more modern without the horizontal lines.  The entire airplane takes on a cleaner look.

It looks more modern without the horizontal lines.  The entire airplane takes on a cleaner look.

This was a popular vote-getter, too:

attachment.php?attachmentid=116544&d=133

Oh, the cheat lines got bigger. Yay.

Matt Cee

Dont like that alaska livery, looks just like the same old boring swoopy paint scheme that every airline is buying into these days.  I enjoyed reading this article about the direction of airline liveries.  http://www.askthepilot.com/the-nightmare-continues/

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero

Dont like that alaska livery, looks just like the same old boring swoopy paint scheme that every airline is buying into these days.  I enjoyed reading this article about the direction of airline liveries.  http://www.askthepilot.com/the-nightmare-continues/

easyJet have gone for straight lines in their new livery, but at an angle, which matches their new(-ish) website. It looks fresh and eye catching.

I realise the Alaska Airlines eskimo is popular, almost a tradition, but it's the elephant in the room regarding any livery changes. No revamp will work while that slightly creepy face is on the tail. It needs to go. It doesn't even look like an eskimo, he's more western looking. From any distance it's just a dark splodge on the fin. Although he's on most of the aircraft, he's almost nowhere to be seen on the website, just the favicon.

Not too many eskimos in Seattle anyway. ;)

ki9cAAb.jpg

The new livery isn't released to the general population, yet.

I was referring to the "Employee Powered" livery.  I haven't seen the new one you are talking about.

easyJet have gone for straight lines in their new livery, but at an angle, which matches their new(-ish) website. It looks fresh and eye catching.

I realise the Alaska Airlines eskimo is popular, almost a tradition, but it's the elephant in the room regarding any livery changes. No revamp will work while that slightly creepy face is on the tail. It needs to go. It doesn't even look like an eskimo, he's more western looking. From any distance it's just a dark splodge on the fin. Although he's on most of the aircraft, he's almost nowhere to be seen on the website, just the favicon.

Not too many eskimos in Seattle anyway. ;)

For the past few years, Alaska has been toying with re-branding. They had focus groups and probably spent $$$$$$ on consultants, artists, etc. Get rid of the Eskimo! Maybe add a mountain. Fish? Maybe go back to the GoldRush? (bleccch no!!!). Southwest doesn't only fly in the southwest, and no one thinks of them that way, but a lot of people think Alaska only flies in Alaska. Drop the name? But the name is our biggest asset.

When they finally came up with Idea 1 and Idea 2, they chose Idea 3 - do nothing. The MVPs hated both new ideas and wanted to keep the Eskimo.

As long as it's not a widget.

Matt Cee

Every time I see that Eskimo on the back of an Alaska jet, it reminds me of

Jimmy Page on a bad hair day... :lol: