Sign in to follow this  
bbildik

Landing Altitude & FMC activate button

Hi guys, just have 2 topics about our Sim.

One is, Eicas, Landing Altitude when you first start the sim. It should be inhibited until you set the fmc. But in the sim, it shows up. This is not normal.

The other one is, when you press activate and then execute the fmc route, the activate line should be blank.

Full names in the PMDG forums please.

We've got B777 rated pilots in the technical group as well as a few that show up here in the forum so to come along and claim that the simulation is not doing what the real aircraft does you'll have to be more specific. Real specific. PMDG used Boeing technical data and their simulators during development.

Dan Downs KCRP

Sorry for the full name thing. I'm a 777captain myself, flying for the biggest 777 fleet airline in the world. In the real aircraft, the Landing Altitude mag on eicas is inhibited, as you will be setting the fmc during the preflight. Thats one thing that does not fit the real life. The other one is, when you select the route and activate the fmc, "Activate" line should go blank, but in the sim, it does not, and you can still go and select activate again.. This is not happening in real life as well. One more thing I had for now was the altitude overshoot during go-arounds, but I beleive thats my swtup or calibration problem. I'm working on it. If you have any ideas or anyone willing to fix this two little things, I would br happy to give more information. Best regards..

Bulent Bildk

The "Activate" line does go blank, as shown in PMDG's tutorial video for VRMM to OMDB and as I can see in my own 777. Perhaps you can give a detailed example of the problem.

Dugald Walker

Ok, I watched the video. The activate line in the LEGS page goes blank. But normally we activate the route in the ROUTE page according to operational procesures and when I do it here in the sim, it does not. I can't even remember if could see the activate line in the legs page but I'll chxk when I go to work today and let you know.

I know it's a small thing but just trying to make the sim much better.

Bulent Bldk

Don't take offence when people on here don't believe you're a 777 pilot. There's been plenty of cases in the past where people have claimed they were 737/747/777 pilots etc yet it turned out they had watched a couple of YouTube videos and weren't pilots at all (or were only PPL). Not saying you're the same, just warning you as it may happen. We welcome the input of real world pilots because it allows PMDG to make the most realistic aircraft possible.

Don't take offence when people on here don't believe you're a 777 pilot

That got me too thinking. I thought real-world pilots have a grasp of writing up pre-flight and post-flight Briefing Notes, i.e. writing skills. Reading the OP's posts is making me think which 'biggest 777 fleet' is he flying for. Maybe my bad but like you that's the first doubts that flash-up. If I am totally way off-beam, the I recant.

So you fly for Emirates?
We'd be happy if you could make pictures of the situation in real life.

I'll try to capture a video for you guys. I would do anything to help who really care to improve OUR sim. I really don't care about the people thinking if I'm a real pilot or not. Just don't have the time. I know there are many people trying to get information and using this brilliant product for years. PMDG is doing a great job! It's %99 real, I must say. Only some small things that could be fixed with an update, I guess. Thats why I'm trying to inform the tech guys in PMDG.

I also learned flying with FS before I took my ATPL and I've been flying for 11 years now. I try to study with my pmdg777 before I have a real sim training, just to make it more realistic and I'm happy to help to improve the software. Regards.

Bulent

Assuming you are a real pilot ( personally I have no reason to think the opposite ) I have a question for you, what do you think about the VNAV of the PMDG 777 ? 

Sometimes it is not so " fair " IMO, for example it tries to keep the vertical route pushing on throttles instead of calculating better in advance ( yes forecast loaded ), to save fuel. Sometimes it flies you quite above the xxx/xxxxxA altitude limitation, may be too much.

To summarize, IMO it works fine but sometimes it seems it struggles too much to follow the VNAV, infact I know that some of the simmers prefer other ways like Flght Change or Vert Speed or even manual approaches. Maybe in real life VNAV is rarely used but I think it should perform better.

Anyway, being myself only a real washing machine pilot I can wrong here  ^_^

But normally we activate the route in the ROUTE page

I have just entered a CO ROUTE on the RTE 1 page and activated it. The ACTIVATE line went blank. Then I executed and it changed to ACT RTE 1 and the ACTIVATE line remained blank, so yours should be doing the same.

I was hoping we would focus more on the points you have raised, rather than who you are.

Dugald Walker

If you've found verifiable bugs:

support.precisionmanuals.com

Additionally, what panel state are you using? If you're just using the default panel state that loads with the engines running, then I'm not sure the LANDING ALT message is a bug.

Kyle Rodgers

Hi guys. Here is the video for the FMC activation line dissapearing when selected and showing per init line.

I'm using the Emirates default panel in the sim.

Maybe I should use CO route.

Assuming you are a real pilot ( personally I have no reason to think the opposite ) I have a question for you, what do you think about the VNAV of the PMDG 777 ?

Sometimes it is not so " fair " IMO, for example it tries to keep the vertical route pushing on throttles instead of calculating better in advance ( yes forecast loaded ), to save fuel. Sometimes it flies you quite above the xxx/xxxxxA altitude limitation, may be too much.

To summarize, IMO it works fine but sometimes it seems it struggles too much to follow the VNAV, infact I know that some of the simmers prefer other ways like Flght Change or Vert Speed or even manual approaches. Maybe in real life VNAV is rarely used but I think it should perform better.

Anyway, being myself only a real washing machine pilot I can wrong here ^_^

Hi, the real VNAV mode has also some problems. I find 737NG vertical nav mode better than the older 777. The NG fmc is renewed and it's more accurate. I think some Us carriers are using a newer version of FMC in 777.

I haven't tested the VNAV mode for a long time in PMDG. i usually use it to study the systems on ground or in the terminal area. But as long as I see, it's really realistic. In real life, when you put an altitude restiriction like 7000A or 140A, depending on the remaining profile, winds, temp, etc.. aircraf sometimes passes exactly at the set altitude in the FMC, but sometimes +/-500, 800ft.. If the descent remaining after the alt restiriction set in FMC, the descent rate might be lower. But I beleive it's the best you can have in a sim.

I have just entered a CO ROUTE on the RTE 1 page and activated it. The ACTIVATE line went blank. Then I executed and it changed to ACT RTE 1 and the ACTIVATE line remained blank, so yours should be doing the same.

I was hoping we would focus more on the points you have raised, rather than who you are.

I would like that, too. If you read the first reply, you will see "downscc" telling me that they have got b777 rated pilots in tech group etc.. Thats why I'm telling that I'm a pilot too, assuming you guys are friendly. So that people would know that I have an idea about the aircraft. If you want to help, you have to give me a solution, instead of what you have in your own pc. Otherwise please don't waste my time and focus on your own problems.

bbildik, I like your posts even if you were a chimney sweep, your suggestions/inputs/answers are deeply and much appreciated.

Thanks a lot and please come back to help us, we need it !